Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Good news, Less!
From the letter it looks like the FDA did respond to the previous letter, just not significantly. Still hoping something comes of this. I wish something would happen before 8/8, but it's nice that someone with some authority is at least questioning things, whatever his motivations.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
From the letter it looks like the FDA did respond to the previous letter, just not significantly. Still hoping something comes of this. I wish something would happen before 8/8, but it's nice that someone with some authority is at least questioning things, whatever his motivations.
We can certainly hope but in all sense of reality I'm doubtful much will come from this. I seriously hope he's not posturing and will follow up with a Congressional Subpoena and Hearing. But again I'm doubtful much will come from this.

I believe our best hope though is on the legal front from the lawsuits an injunction, without that everyone is really screwed. But the real threats are coming from the States and every advocacy group needs to be aware and prepared to file lawsuits with intent to get an injunction for any pending legislation.

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
We can certainly hope but in all sense of reality I'm doubtful much will come from this. I seriously hope he's not posturing and will follow up with a Congressional Subpoena and Hearing. But again I'm doubtful much will come from this.

I believe our best hope though is on the legal front from the lawsuits an injunction, without that everyone is really screwed. But the real threats are coming from the States and every advocacy group needs to be aware and prepared to file lawsuits with intent to get an injunction for any pending legislation.

I have a different opinion re: the real threats coming from the states. There are many state threats on taxes, age restrictions, location bans, etc. but if two years from now all that exists are Altria cigalikes, I really don't care how they are taxed, I won't use the things.

I think that we need to address the federal challenge AND the states, and that we can succeed, but it has to be on the foundation of a new understanding of the harm reduction. New study yesterday from folks including Georgetown Univ and Johns Hopkins showing vaping will have net public health benefits -unless over regulated - and that smoking related deaths can be reduced by more than 20%! This is big medicine that FDA will have trouble denying. I think we can turn this around if we all do just a little advocacy. Spectating is not enough!
Nic & Tob Res

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I have a different opinion re: the real threats coming from the states. There are many state threats on taxes, age restrictions, location bans, etc. but if two years from now all that exists are Altria cigalikes, I really don't care how they are taxed, I won't use the things.

I think that we need to address the federal challenge AND the states, and that we can succeed, but it has to be on the foundation of a new understanding of the harm reduction. New study yesterday from folks including Georgetown Univ and Johns Hopkins showing vaping will have net public health benefits -unless over regulated - and that smoking related deaths can be reduced by more than 20%! This is big medicine that FDA will have trouble denying. I think we can turn this around if we all do just a little advocacy. Spectating is not enough!
Nic & Tob Res
Nothing real is going to come from Congress so you're saying everything is futile. Well there is some validity to that, but the reason why the advocacy groups are failing is they haven't been working together and as I mentioned Vape Business's have been focusing on "Cloud Comps" and other bull.... instead of getting their .... together.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?.....

Uoflgno.gif
It was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor.

Doesn't fill me with confidence when I see statements like this. Hopefully the statements being presented to Congress are more factual.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Posts are picked up by the search engines within minutes of being posted. Yes, our Google Juice is strong here and while the comment may be tongue in cheek, it doesn't bode well when it can be found within minutes via a search on Google. Our antagonists love nothing better than to take things out of context and twist it so it falls within their agenda.

They've been doing this for years with ECF posts.

Reactions: Glinda

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Right. You're really concerned that our "antagonists" will search and find a line from a 30 year old John Belushi movie, and take it out of context and twist it to fit their agenda????
I was hoping I could add value in the forum by giving folks the latest efforts to change the statute governing the FDA and remove the PMTA requirement, and maybe motivate people to get involved to get it done. But if I am held to a "no humor standard", well that's just not my style. In fact humor is one of the best ways to persuade. Good luck friends.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Quite the opposite. ONLY Congress cam change the date and reign in FDA. But they will ONLY do it if everyone gets off their ... and stands up for themselves!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?.....

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Toga! Toga!

Last edited:

jdrewry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
New Jersey
After reading Senator Johnson's letter, and reading how the FDA responded, I don't believe that the FDA has any intent to provide him with any meaningful response or information. They are in full blown delay tactics, and once August 8th rolls around, they'll stop responding to him completely, especially if it's just (for them) a matter of responding to a letter. Senator Johnson is going to have to take some drastic steps to stop the FDA Deeming regs. The question is, is he really ready to take those steps (and I have no idea what steps he can take)...

Last edited:

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
I think what may be going on here is the good Sen is forcing the FDA to verify publicly what we already knew; they're actions are not based on health or science AND they did not follow their own established regulatory protocols in this "deeming". Even if the FDA ignores the Sen it's a bad bad look for them and only further fuels the on going legal and litigation situations.

Furthermore, I don't think Senators like being ignored or given a bunch of busy work answers.

Get the pop corn folks: this, the bills, the law suits, A Billion Lives!!

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
After reading Senator Johnson's letter, and reading how the FDA responded, I don't believe that the FDA has any intent to provide him with any meaningful response or information. They are in full blown delay tactics, and one August 8th rolls around, they'll stop responding to him completely, especially if it's just (for them) a matter of responding to a letter. Senator Johnson is going to have to take some drastic steps to stop the FDA Deeming regs. The question is, is he really ready to take those steps (and I have no idea what steps he can take)...
Though it's rarely been done the Senator can issue a subpoena forcing them to communicate.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Though it's rarely been done the Senator can issue a subpoena forcing them to communicate.
That, to me, would be like Thanksgiving and Christmas all rolled into one!
And if they televised it on Pay-Per-View I'd pay a heck of a lot of money to watch.

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
If he was going to issue a subpoena, I would have thought the time to do it would have been after the second letter he sent the FDA, unless he plans to do it at the very last hour.

Usually a subpoena is only issued with the agreement of the ranking minority member of the committee, in this case, Sen. Tom Carper of DE.

I think more likely may be a hearing first, with witnesses about the harm caused, and FDA testimony as well. I agree, get the popcorn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread