FDA Sen Johnson (R-Wis) demands answers from FDA RE deeming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Lets just Hope that Sen. Johnson is still a Senator when/if there is a Hearing.
And there are some real doubts about that. Johnson has been consistently losing in the polls, so at best it is a very tight race. He is running against Russ Feingold who Johnson beat 6 years ago, but not by much. Feingold was a Senator for 18 years and has a good deal of popularity. He is noted for being the only senator to vote against the Patriot Act (good on him for that one).

I would guess Johnson is going to be pretty busy this fall trying to get re-elected.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
And there are some real doubts about that. Johnson has been consistently losing in the polls, so at best it is a very tight race. He is running against Russ Feingold who Johnson beat 6 years ago, but not by much. Feingold was a Senator for 18 years and has a good deal of popularity. He is noted for being the only senator to vote against the Patriot Act (good on him for that one).

I would guess Johnson is going to be pretty busy this fall trying to get re-elected.

Yeah... As I understand it, He is about 5 ~ 8 Points Down depending on what Poll you Read.

It's going to be an Interesting Nov 8th All the Way Around. And the Current Majority in the Senate is Not Guaranteed.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
This the reason that the good Senator is working so hard to get the these "answers" or "non-answers" public. By doing so it opens the can o worms for others to use no matter what his personal end game might be or the out come of 11/08.

In other words once the FDA has successfully shown it cannot or is unwilling to show its data it aids legislative and judicial proceedings as evidence of their concerns. Giving more political leverage and triggering a higher level of willingness for judicial oversight of the whole kit and kabootal.

Reactions: DC2

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
You are right about the politics, Johnson is the #2 most vulnerable Senator (behind Kirk) and the majority is likely to flip to Dems.

But I don't think that should influence our support for his eggs in any way. He is demanding answers that we need and all those in WI should appreciate that.

If vapers make their mark on the Senate, just once, we will be taken very seriously ever thereafter.

Simply Red

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I'm here, when I'm here
You are right about the politics, Johnson is the #2 most vulnerable Senator (behind Kirk) and the majority is likely to flip to Dems.

But I don't think that should influence our support for his eggs in any way. He is demanding answers that we need and all those in WI should appreciate that.

If vapers make their mark on the Senate, just once, we will be taken very seriously ever thereafter.

:blink:............
tears-of-joy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: r055co

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Mistake imo for Sen. Johnson to refuse the offer of a briefing. Had he accepted the offer and consulted with Casaa or other advocacy groups ( asked them to scrutinize the FDA response and recommend follow-up questions ) in preparation, the FDA may have responded in a manner that would come back to haunt them in the lawsuits. Perhaps he just didn't have the time to adequately prepare for the briefing. This letter writing thing will be dragged out until he is out of office imo.

Hopefully, there is still something in the FDA response that proves helpful in the lawsuits.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I actually thought you had read it and were mocking the FDA response ! There was a link to the FDA response in the original link.
Nope, that prediction was made May 19th.

The thing is, to most people, their response probably seems fair IF you accept that vaping is an offering from the evil tobacco companies that have been peddling death and entrapping youth for decades.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Nope, that prediction was made May 19th.

The thing is, to most people, their response probably seems fair IF you accept that vaping is an offering from the evil tobacco companies that have been peddling death and entrapping youth for decades.
Yes, to the lay person unfamiliar with the details and the history, the FDA response probably seems reasonable on the surface. I am willing to bet the majority of the public would actually think the FDA is standing up to big bad tobacco, and is trying to make sure they don't lie to us again.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
This, to me, is the most disturbing and worrying part of their response:
"Finally, it is important to note that the general effect a product category may have on public health is not necessarily true for all products in that category. Even if ENDS in general are shown to be beneficial, regulation of individual products through the premarket review process will allow FDA to identify problematic products that may raise unique concerns. For example, individual products may raise special concerns about youth initiation, or may contain harmful constituents not found in the majority of ENDS products."

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This is Disturbing Also...

upload_2016-7-18_13-29-2.png

Don't like the Reiteration that what the FDA has done is Only the "Beginning".

And this Concept that the FDA has to Regulate something before it can Understand it harkins back to a Quote that I will Never forget.

pelosi_oh_no_ap.jpg

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
This, to me, is the most disturbing and worrying part of their response:
"Finally, it is important to note that the general effect a product category may have on public health is not necessarily true for all products in that category. Even if ENDS in general are shown to be beneficial, regulation of individual products through the premarket review process will allow FDA to identify problematic products that may raise unique concerns. For example, individual products may raise special concerns about youth initiation, or may contain harmful constituents not found in the majority of ENDS products."
Yes, unfortunately the FDA has always considered nicotine a drug ( and is only reluctantly regulating it as tobacco after the Sottera loss ) , and this is how they regulate drugs, precise and exact dosages. Change the dosage, delivery method, or the formula even slightly, you need new clinical studies. No consumer customization in the drug industry.

What this industry needs is its own Orrin Hatch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread