FDA Sen Johnson (R-Wis) demands answers from FDA RE deeming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I believe and now refer to things as vaping , vaping products, and vaping devices. Part of the public's distorted feelings about this whole thing is it's named an electronic cigarette. People Hate cigarettes and it's hard to convince them that it's a good thing.

One thing. Anyone who thinks that these are electronic cigarettes, the same or worse than smoking, appealing to kids, or related to tobacco has not done any reading whatsoever except for media. Anyone who argues how evil vaping devices are has no education about vaping.

I was chatting with a friend of mine yesterday and she asked what's in the fluid and I told her glycerin or PG, food flavoring and nicotine or not. She almost fell off her horse. She thought I was joking.
So it makes me wonder how much research the FDA has actually done on vaping products. Can they actually be impartial if they know nothing about vaping? If you listen to someone talk about vaping, you can even tell where the info came from. Mostly internet hate sites. They really don't know enough about vaping products to make a valid decision. Why on earth would someone have to test glycerin, or Propylene glycol (used in respiratory treatments) , food flavoring, and nicotine that already been tested and passed many years ago from BT.

And if you're vaping 0 nicotine, with an atomizer and batteries, where is the relationship to tobacco? Can the FDA just wake up one morning and decide that they can call anything tobacco related? Oh gosh, are my fingers tobacco related? My lips?
An esteemed health survey group at UofM is finding most kids who vape say there is no nic in their liquid. Then some grownups conclude it must be the flavors that attract them. My view is it's the visual part, the clouds, that attracts them (try vaping with your eyes closed, you'll notice it's not satisfying.) Grownup smokers need nic and flavoring to help get off cigarettes but kids do not if their interest is clouds. Instead of electronic cigarettes or personal vaporizers (both a bit pretentious) why not call them what the kids would say, cloud toys.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
An esteemed health survey group at UofM is finding most kids who vape say there is no nic in their liquid. Then some grownups conclude it must be the flavors that attract them. My view is it's the visual part, the clouds, that attracts them (try vaping with your eyes closed, you'll notice it's not satisfying.) Grownup smokers need nic and flavoring to help get off cigarettes but kids do not if their interest is clouds. Instead of electronic cigarettes or personal vaporizers (both a bit pretentious) why not call them what the kids would say, cloud toys.

I absolutely agree with you. I can see just teens wanting to blow big clouds. Maybe it will be a fad that burns out.

Do you think there's a correlation between yummy alcohol drinks and kids drinking because of it? It's such a crock.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I've met with Sen. Johnson's committee several times since the rule went final, and they are being very diligent on this. They do realize the limits of their oversight however, and are considering other options. They can introduce legislation to change the date, or create a workable pathway to approval for new products.
The 8/8 date does not change the ability to write new law changing anything FDA has already decided. The missing ingredient is still vapers getting off the couch. Several Senators I met with have said they were disappointed that they have not heard much from constituents about this. That's just sad given the scope of damage this reg will do to both business and health.
Many of us have developed a certain degree of cynicism and the senators need to understand our frustration. Many of us are disillusioned and feel that our messages will be ignored, just as they have been in the past. I have written my congressional representatives in both houses on a number of occasions about this matter. In most instances I have received no response whatsoever and the few "responses" I have received are unresponsive. Many of us also wrote the FDA on multiple occasions and our concerns were ignored. There are over 10,000 personal testimonials on the CASAA website stating how e-cigarettes helped people quit smoking. These were all given to the FDA. The Royal College of Physicians says e-cigarettes are effective cessation devices, and yet the FDA says they don't know if vaping helps anybody quit.

Nevertheless, I will once again write committee member Sen. McCaskill and I'll post any response I get here.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Nevertheless, I will once again write committee member Sen. McCaskill and I'll post any response I get here.
Pissin' in the wind my friend. Two branches of Federal Government have failed us so far; I wouldn't bother anymore.

Personally, I've gotten into the habit of e-mailing Judge Amy Jackson about her beautiful new hair style and how those earrings bring out the fairness in her eyes.

amy-berman-jackson_large.jpg

Only half serious here but this is where we're at folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread