Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I'm sure that the FDA anticipated all the law suits coming, so they are most likely already prepared for that. I'm sure they probably feel they are prepared to answer the questions by Senator Johnson. Hopefully Senator Johnson is serious enough about this to grill em hard, and keep after it.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Reactions: Kenna

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I was just going to post the link to the radio show but zoi beat me to it, though this link might work better

Stream Vicki McKenna HR 3 Friday Free | 1310 WIBA

I wouldn't get to excited about this as it does not appear he has any real authority to actually stop the deeming from happening. He admits in the interview that it will have to be done in the courts.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I was just going to post the link to the radio show but zoi beat me to it, though this link might work better

I wouldn't get to excited about this as it does not appear he has any real authority to actually stop the deeming from happening. He admits in the interview that it will have to be done in the courts.
It boggles my mind that the head of the senate committee on government oversight doesn't have the authority to stop regulations that are the result of a congressional act. Is it that Congress doesn't have the authority, or that he won't go out on the line and actually do what needs to be done to stop it? If Congress doesn't have the authority, who would?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I don't think there is Any Possibility of "Deeming" being Stop. It is going to Happen. But it is the Details of what the Rule Set looks like that is what the Fight is over.

An Oversight Committee (as I understand it) does not have the Authority to Alter the FDA's Rule Set. But Congress Does. And Congress relies on Oversight Committees to make Rulings.

Now does Congress have the Political Backbone to stare down the FDA? That is Debatable. But I know that it is Easy for Congress to Do Nothing if there Isn't any Large Outcry from Voters.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It boggles my mind that the head of the senate committee on government oversight doesn't have the authority to stop regulations that are the result of a congressional act. Is it that Congress doesn't have the authority, or that he won't go out on the line and actually do what needs to be done to stop it? If Congress doesn't have the authority, who would?

Congress has the Authority. No If's and or But's.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's really pretty amazing to hear a politician saying the things he's saying.
I was we had hundreds more like him.

I'd settle for a 1 HHS Secretary who wasn't on Corporate America's Payroll. And a Puppet of His/Her Political Overlords.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Just listened to this. I wish they had focused more on the e-cig industry, but it sounded (to me) that he squarely put the FDA on blast.
Nice...
I'd say Johnson is a good politician and made the right arguments for the situation. Most of the people listening don't smoke so may be it's counter productive to push them too hard. The lady interviewer is a vaper so she gets it. It sounds like what Johnson can do is force the FDA to show their hand which will help the litigators persuade the judge to grant an injunction.

Edit The attornies for vape companies who are litigating or planning to litigate might send questions to the Senate committee to ask the FDA. In a trial there can be discovery but that's not as effective as what the Senate committee can ask for. Hopefully that's already been thought of but if not and you know somebody pass the idea along to whoever needs it.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
It's really pretty amazing to hear a politician saying the things he's saying.
I wish we had hundreds more like him.

My thoughts exactly!

Promted by Vicki McKenna and noting that FDA is legally prohibited from imposing a ban on e-cigarettes, he responded...

"…but you put your finger on it, de facto termination of a business. Yeah so, ok, we're not going to outlaw a product but you can basically regulate it out of existence which is exactly what they're trying to do here…."

"Big government is called bureaucracy…Here's my suggestion, let's stop growing. Let's stop sending people who think they're smarter than you who are absolutely dedicated to growing that inefficient, ineffective, dysfunctional and broken place, the federal government. Makes no sense."

Yeah, the man gets it. At last someone responsible enough to stand up and acknowledge the obvious…that they know what the game is, for the FDA and overall. Deserves our support as well as those with the cojones to stand with him.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
QUOTE="JC Okie, post: 17806813, member: 39177"]My thoughts exactly!

Promted by Vicki McKenna and noting that FDA is legally prohibited from imposing a ban on e-cigarettes, he responded...

"…but you put your finger on it, de facto termination of a business. Yeah so, ok, we're not going to outlaw a product but you can basically regulate it out of existence which is exactly what they're trying to do here…."

"Big government is called bureaucracy…Here's my suggestion, let's stop growing. Let's stop sending people who think they're smarter than you who are absolutely dedicated to growing that inefficient, ineffective, dysfunctional and broken place, the federal government. Makes no sense."

Yeah, the man gets it. At last someone responsible enough to stand up and acknowledge the obvious…that they know what the game is, for the FDA and overall. Deserves our support along as well as those with the cojones to stand with him.

Good luck. :)[/QUOTE]
Hear, hear! Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread