SerenityGear Leather - Short Sleeve! And new designs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Well, yeah - I got it in there, but couldn't even turn it (button wasn't centered)...had to push with a tool (rubber-coated handle of nearby needlenose did the trick). I like the way it looks - but I do hope it doesn't scratch - it's a satin black - and we'll see if I find the need to remove it every day more trouble than it's worth. Just trying to decide, but it may be a "special occasion" accessory rather than everyday...

mysleeve1_zps1a889574.jpg

(note - you're looking RIGHT AT the flaw that made this a heavily discounted "bargain"...the wrinkle in the leather that runs vertically through the pattern. I kinda like it)

kbf101998

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Brentwood, Tn, USA
Well, yeah - I got it in there, but couldn't even turn it (button wasn't centered)...had to push with a tool (rubber-coated handle of nearby needlenose did the trick). I like the way it looks - but I do hope it doesn't scratch - it's a satin black - and we'll see if I find the need to remove it every day more trouble than it's worth. Just trying to decide, but it may be a "special occasion" accessory rather than everyday...

mysleeve1_zps1a889574.jpg

(note - you're looking RIGHT AT the flaw that made this a heavily discounted "bargain"...the wrinkle in the leather that runs vertically through the pattern. I kinda like it)

I know--it is a struggle to get everything lined up when putting it in the sleeve. I don't use mine everyday--but use it when I need to hook it to my belt loop, generally when I am at a dog event or outdoors without a purse. I have looked for something that I could use to stretch it a little, but haven't found anything.
The good news is that after several uses--it will stretch a little.

I like the idea of taking out a little on the bottom so that it does not need to be removed to change the battery.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I got that concept from earlier in this thread, but I don't think I want to do that kind of surgery on the sleeve...
Then I'd worry about it sliding up and down, lol!!

Thanks for the replies!

I know--it is a struggle to get everything lined up when putting it in the sleeve. I don't use mine everyday--but use it when I need to hook it to my belt loop, generally when I am at a dog event or outdoors without a purse. I have looked for something that I could use to stretch it a little, but haven't found anything.

I like the idea of taking out a little on the bottom so that it does not need to be removed to change the battery.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Gee, a little worse than expected.
Put the 'Vari in the sleeve and used it that way for maybe an hour, then took it out.
scratched_zps9d76dadb.jpg

Those are all new scratches, and a couple more on the other side.

They're small, you only notice them when the light catches the exposed metal.
But the only pre-existing little scratch got worse, and now IS visible at a glance.

So the sleeve is gonna sit, until one of my Provaris becomes a "beater". I'm not going to turn one INTO a beater by pulling it in and out of the sleeve... I do like the leatherwork, and I will keep it, but I also kind of feel like they should be either
a) recommended only for satin silver maybe, or for "scratches ok" units
or
b) made with some kind of soft lining

kbf101998

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Brentwood, Tn, USA
Gee, a little worse than expected.
Put the 'Vari in the sleeve and used it that way for maybe an hour, then took it out.
scratched_zps9d76dadb.jpg

Those are all new scratches, and a couple more on the other side.

They're small, you only notice them when the light catches the exposed metal.
But the only pre-existing little scratch got worse, and now IS visible at a glance.

So the sleeve is gonna sit, until one of my Provaris becomes a "beater". I'm not going to turn one INTO a beater by pulling it in and out of the sleeve... I do like the leatherwork, and I will keep it, but I also kind of feel like they should be either
a) recommended only for satin silver maybe, or for "scratches ok" units
or
b) made with some kind of soft lining

Wow! That is not good!! I just looked my black over again and don't see anything like that. My sleeve is just the plain black one that is smooth leather. Wonder if that makes any difference???

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Probably - this is pretty stiff stuff... not "supple" leather, but stiff, and tough. Like I said, I think it needs a lining!

Wow! That is not good!! I just looked my black over again and don't see anything like that. My sleeve is just the plain black one that is smooth leather. Wonder if that makes any difference???

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I hate to say it, but I'm concerned about the quality of the ProVari finishes lately. I have had Serenity sleeves for going on 18 months and while they can be very tight until broken in, they aren't any tighter now then they used to be (I have 8); in fact, the last "snug" one I got is looser than the other ones.

There have been reports of early wear on ProVarii in the past, but it seems like there are more now. Am I the only one who has noticed this?

lizziebith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Austin, TX
Ocey -- I saw the reports on the Emerald Green, but mine hasn't had any wear at all, and it goes in and out of a wooden carousel all day. Not a scratch. Most of my immense collection is older/used ProVarii. The only one that looks worn is the one I thought might be a "chrome black." Which I guess is just an older satin finish, as there is some doubt about whether minis were made at the time. Anyway, the new ones: emerald, black, zombie, gold, bronze...all look pristine. YMMV.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Ocey -- I saw the reports on the Emerald Green, but mine hasn't had any wear at all, and it goes in and out of a wooden carousel all day. Not a scratch. Most of my immense collection is older/used ProVarii. The only one that looks worn is the one I thought might be a "chrome black." Which I guess is just an older satin finish, as there is some doubt about whether minis were made at the time. Anyway, the new ones: emerald, black, zombie, gold, bronze...all look pristine. YMMV.

I don't have marks on any of my colored ones (including green) and they go in and out of the snug sleeves all the time to change batteries. I meant that I have seen more posts about wear to colors in general than I have ever seen before.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Those green and golds have drawn my eye, that would look so good with my bronze...
However, the one thing that makes it a no sale for me is not being able to change the battery while it's still in the sleeve. The convenience of my Vegas Bindery sleeve has spoiled me :D

I have a medium brown sleeve with gold highlights on my bwonze/gween, it looks fab. I need to take pictures.

lizziebith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Austin, TX
I don't have marks on any of my colored ones (including green) and they go in and out of the snug sleeves all the time to change batteries. I meant that I have seen more posts about wear to colors in general than I have ever seen before.

So have I (seen the posts) and I was trying to address it with my experience. As in: the colors I have seem to be wearing well. Old and new.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia

I’ve used the “waxpaper method” to stretch one of my holsters and a sleeve. I learned about it on the old Provari forum.

You just wrap multiple layers of waxpaper around a Provari and then put it in the sleeve and let it sit for a day or two. I had to tape the paper to the Provari, so it wouldn’t come off when I pushed it into the sleeve. I started with two layers of waxpaper and then moved up to four. You have to experiment a little until you get the sleeve stretched the right amount.

The sleeve or holster might shrink back a little after you stretch it, so you might have to stretch it again, but don’t go too much at one time. I did this with a holster that was almost unusable. It worked great.

J.R.

Last edited:

kbf101998

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Brentwood, Tn, USA
I’ve used the “waxpaper method” to stretch one of my holsters and a sleeve. I learned about it on the old Provari forum.

You just wrap multiple layers of waxpaper around a Provari and then put it in the sleeve and let it sit for a day or two. I had to tape the paper to the Provari, so it wouldn’t come off when I pushed it into the sleeve. I started with two layers of waxpaper and then moved up to four. You have to experiment a little until you get the sleeve stretched the right amount.

The sleeve or holster might shrink back a little after you stretch it, so you might have to stretch it again, but don’t go too much at one time. I did this with a holster that was almost unusable. It worked great.

J.R.

Thanks for the idea!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Good tip for break-in, thanks.

The little scratches, I fear, will now easily be expanded with any additional rubbing - so I do think I'll wait 'til I have (or buy) a unit where I don't care about the cosmetic finish, and then I'll use that one in the sleeve...

J.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread