Serious Technical Question: Smoke Alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

LXXVI

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Ok ok ok. This may seem like a strange, no-duh question, but can eCIGS set off smoke alarms? I have not found a thread yet discussing this topic, but things like Home smoke alarms, Office central heating smoke detectors and Airline bathroom smoke detectors started to come into mind.

1. What do smoke alarms detect in conventional smoke?
2. Do the coils in our PV's give off anything but water vapor?

<Please don't kick me>

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
A fire (even in the smoke phase) generates ions (charged particles) that the modern smoke detector senses as a fire.
A CO monitor may be combined in a smoke detector to detect CO molecules that can be generated even before the smoke phase (like an improperly adjusted furnace). The two are different.

Older smoke detectors used photo optic sensors that probably could be fooled by vapor. I hope all aircraft detectors have been upgraded :)

Large amounts of water vapor for an extended period can damage the ion sensor in a smoke detector.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
It's likely that some newer smoke alarms may use both types of detectors. Optical and Ionization.
For that reason it might not be advisable to vape in a closed space (like the restroom in an airplane) where the vapor could be more concentrated than out in the concourse.

If the alarm goes off, you could probably just site the youtube video and say

"Wut, wasn't me":)

razorxwire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
Spanaway, WA
I was wondering this same thing, so I decided to try it out... I got a chair, and stood up to the smoke detector I have in my house, took a huge hit, and blew it into the smoke detector. Scared the hell out of me and my wife when it went off because we weren't expecting it to.. As for your first question, I think some detect a lack of oxygen in the air, or similarly elevated CO levels. For the second, I don't know for sure, but I've always been told it's just water vapor with trace amounts of nicotine.

Edit for Stosh: I'm use a GLV 5v and DCT Tank with 1.5 Ohm Triple Punched Carto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread