Seriously..... When Did Vaping Get Taken Over By The Scene Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
I'm soon to be 47 years old. I've been successfully vaping for over 2 years now. I've ordered a vast majority of my stuff online but every once in awhile, I have to resort to running out to one of my local shops to get something that is an immediate need. (Ran out of cotton or my next juice delivery hasn't arrived.... etc.) Every time I go in these shops, I feel like the creepy old dude that shouldn't be there. They're filled with a bunch of late teen/early 20's kids with shaggy mop tops, gauged ears, pierced everything and skinny jeans. This is both the customers and the employees. I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

I almost never see people my age vaping out in public unless it's an eGo stick or some other similar device. No one has mods or tanks except for the young kids. Then there's me with my little IPV D2 and Smok TFV4 mini. Meanwhile, the youngsters are all sucking on 200W mods with massive quad coil drippers and puffing away on such tasty sounding flavors like Dying Unicorn Blood and Sasquatch Poop.

I've been vaping off and on practically since vaping first became publicly available. I finally found stuff that worked for me and got off analogs completely. Now I feel like some old dinosaur trying to fit into some scene I'm not a part of just to get some cotton or a roll of wire.

So seriously, when did this become a "scene" thing?

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Its the Sub ohm, who can blow the biggest clouds crew I'm afraid where it's the new cool thing.... :facepalm:
Which scares me into thinking people will just see this as a passing fad and vaping will die out.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
And your old ;)

How dare you !!! Im not 40 until the 21st..:cry: but I know where your coming from, I expected it when I posted that, yes I sub ohm but I'm a flavor chaser, the vapor production just comes with it. ;)

Which scares me into thinking people will just see this as a passing fad and vaping will die out.
The only way vaping will die out is by stupid laws, it'll never be a passing fad to us, those cloud blowing younglins are just a small part of the vaping community, admittedly, they like to hang out in vape shops but it's a small percentage.

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
I'm soon to be 47 years old. I've been successfully vaping for over 2 years now. I've ordered a vast majority of my stuff online but every once in awhile, I have to resort to running out to one of my local shops to get something that is an immediate need. (Ran out of cotton or my next juice delivery hasn't arrived.... etc.) Every time I go in these shops, I feel like the creepy old dude that shouldn't be there. They're filled with a bunch of late teen/early 20's kids with shaggy mop tops, gauged ears, pierced everything and skinny jeans. This is both the customers and the employees. I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

I almost never see people my age vaping out in public unless it's an eGo stick or some other similar device. No one has mods or tanks except for the young kids. Then there's me with my little IPV D2 and Smok TFV4 mini. Meanwhile, the youngsters are all sucking on 200W mods with massive quad coil drippers and puffing away on such tasty sounding flavors like Dying Unicorn Blood and Sasquatch Poop.

I've been vaping off and on practically since vaping first became publicly available. I finally found stuff that worked for me and got off analogs completely. Now I feel like some old dinosaur trying to fit into some scene I'm not a part of just to get some cotton or a roll of wire.

It's because vaping has become some what taboo. We are in a hey look at me I'm a rebel or I'm unique society. Vaping is like getting a tattoo or piercing, just something to piss thier parents off with lol.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

seahawkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Rochelle, VA
Hey you kids, get out of my Jello Tree!!!

Same here, older vaper with young kids laughing at me cause I don't sub ohm. Then I show em what they did wrong with their coils and how a good wrap boosts the flavor and they leave me alone. I just want the throw my stuff in my purse and go. Stopped building, sub ohming isn't my thing...

But I think it is a subculture thing as well, which I didn't mind at first but ya I am getting old.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

It's like that with everything.
The kids discover it and go overboard, usually without actually looking into it.

When that happens to me I just smile and whip out my old school King V2 with a derringer sporting parallel coils and proceed to fill the shop with clouds.
Bearded jaws drop and the questions start.
No real need for 200watt ultra low resistance coils or temp control if you really understand what's going on.

seahawkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Rochelle, VA
Isn't that a bit judgemental? I'm 27 and have tattoos (no stretched ears anymore though).
Surely it doesn't matter what age people are or what style of clothing they wear.
We all still share the common interest of kicking the stinkiest!

No worries, I am covered in tats and have piercings more to do with not liking the snark, I think.

Rixsta

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Isn't that a bit judgemental? I'm 27 and have tattoos (no stretched ears anymore though).
Surely it doesn't matter what age people are or what style of clothing they wear.
We all still share the common interest of kicking the stinkiest!
My local vape shop / cafe, 80% of them have never smoked, they just like to build super low coils and blow clouds, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that as long as your not clouding out a restaurant ect.
It's going to attract the younger crown though because it's seen as a cool thing to do.

And with that, I'll leave before it gets heated in here, I'm too old for the drama :pervy:

MattyVigilante

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
Northamptonshire
No worries, I am covered in tats and have piercings more to do with not liking the snark, I think.
Lol, sorry but what's snark?

Kanger KBOX 200 + Sub Tank Mini / Uwell Crown

75 Watt on my .24 26g twist coil - Mutation X V4 / Alliance V2

Battery Safety and Ohm's Law - onVaping Vape safe guys and gals!

aceman3330

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2014
Nakhonsithammarat, Thailand
Well, age? I'm 55 with 3+ years of vaping after quitting 30+ yrs of stinkies. And I, for one, don't think vaping will die out, not no way not no how. I'm not gonna quit vaping, not with all my stuffs.
0a6947e78d1e9745c0cab4ff932cb17b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seahawkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Rochelle, VA
Was going to reply with snarky but that wouldn't help. Ummmmm... Condescending perhaps? Wait found it in the dictionary!!!

snark·y
ˈsnärkē/
adjective
NORTH AMERICANinformal
  1. (of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
    "the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"
    • cranky; irritable.
      "Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"
Woot internet.

seahawkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Rochelle, VA
Well, age? I'm 55 with 3+ years of vaping after quitting 30+ yrs of stinkies. And I, for one, don't think vaping will die out, not no way not no how. I'm not gonna quit vaping, not with all my stuffs.

That is just beautiful.

Reactions: Rixsta

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Maybe you are just stuck being a "tweener", too old for the young'uns and not old enough to be an "admired oddity". I got at least a couple decades on you and have found a great vape shop (just up I29 for you) that everybody, especially the employees treat me great. I even finally met and got a high five from the owner really nice young lady) last visit. I love it when I walk in on my monthly visit and am greeted with "Hey, Dan. How's it going? Here, you just gotta try this." And they hand me some monstrosity with some new flavor to try. I'll be danged that they even got me hooked on a flavor with grape in it, something I never would have even tried if I had known. As my wife refers to it, they are her geriatric babysitter while she shops in the city.

Rixsta

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK

I had to pop back in just for this. When I'm worrying about buying another tank or mod I'm going to look at this. That's quite a collection!

Reactions: MaxwellPink

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just turned 62 and have been vaping for nearly 4 years. No tattoos or piercings - just not for me.

I worked in a vape shop for a year a time back. I was a tootle puffer for the majority of my vaping experience, until the guys at the vape shop got me into making my own coils and I gradually began to sub-ohm. Just 0.6 ohms, never lower. My taste has changed from a tight mouth to lung draw to a wide open direct lung hitter. But not a cloud chaser in the true sense of the word.

The vape shop attacted all types of vapers. Older business guys in suits, blue collar types, to the ear ring, skin pierced, tattoo wearing youngsters. The younger crowd was more into cloud chasing, but there were middle age guys blowing clouds too. I try not to be judgemental; I feel like I can have a conversation with anyone regardless of their appearance. At least no one is smoking, right?

My daughter is a non-smoker and vapes recreationally. My son was a smoker, but is pretty much a cloud chasing vaper now. My nephew is a non-smoker and just begun vaping recreationally. He's a cloud chaser.

I think the cloud chaser thing is a fad that will eventually go away. The main point is vaping gets smokers to quit, and keeps non-smokers from starting up. And that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread