Seriously..... When Did Vaping Get Taken Over By The Scene Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be 54 in May, and off analogs for a year sometime in April. I don't let the beardo cloud kids intimidate me and to be honest what are you doing with your life sitting in a vape shop tweaking your rebuildable for hours? I'm in, taste-test, buy, out. I buy my hardware online after being ripped off locally.

My problem is I can't stop upgrading, but with the tech advancing so quickly it's hard not to. I've got a box of legacy hardware that's mostly worthless: Aspire Nautilus, some Kanger junk, etc. Got a smok X Cube II on the way to match the TFV4 I bought in November. Been using a "Eleaf TC60" mod and want to play around with some of the high-watt smok coils after months of using the TC nickel coils. That TFV4 with all the coil options is the cat's a**.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    We were cool dudes when I was growing up.

Leather & grease
    tumblr_npwepmO0Jb1sqhvz6o1_500.jpg

and rolled up cuffs

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    We were cool dudes when I was growing up.

Leather & grease
    tumblr_npwepmO0Jb1sqhvz6o1_500.jpg

and rolled up cuffs

Even though I've never been to the UK, the picture made me think of the 'Teddy Boy' craze, from a few years ago. Check out these kids rockin' to Bo Diddley:

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
    Nov 26, 2015
    San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
    Scene kid female:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MxmAWbN6lys/Th4QRwTpIcI/AAAAAAAAAK4/ziZVCbLnOeE/s1600/00.jpg
    Scene kid male:
    scene guy

hipster guy:
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/03/10/2681F94C00000578-2986776-image-a-1_1426005646716.jpg
    hipster girl:
    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/thre...king-camera-over-gray-background-52458758.jpg

Just a general guide. Scene kids are usually teens to early-mid 20's. Hipsters are typically mid 20's to mid-late 30's. That is my experience, anyway. Hipsters more often have natural hair colors and the males tend to have Hitler Youth haircuts and beards. lol

Examples:
    Hitler youth haircut, check.
    Beard, check.

http://allhailtheblackmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/photobytimyesco.jpg

LOL! That clears things up! Thanks for that! Haha!:lol:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Luckily at my local b&m, at the meets at least, us over 40's outnumber the young "rebels" by a large large margin

I wonder if all those kids who wear fricking beanies, get piercings and tattoos have figured out yet that youre only an individual if no one else is doing exactly the same thing. They look like theyre from central casting, its hilarious...

Look at tattoo's, they lost their taboo so long ago that now not having one is more unusual ....literally every 5th person i see in my neighbourhood has one, so fricking pedestrian...hard to be an outsider when youre a follower....

Ive been laughing at silly kids since they starting dressing like theyre from Compton (while theyre white and in middle and upper class families in Oz) 20 years ago....this is just the latest iteration of faux individuality and actually following a trend....

Someone should tell them theyre actually quite lame....

Hipsters, i think all agree, should be shot on sight

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I wonder if all those kids who wear fricking beanies, get piercings and tattoos have figured out yet that youre only an individual if no one else is doing exactly the same thing.
    [/THREAD]

The irony in all of the various subcultures dedicated to some sort of non-conformity...
    Is that the members of said subculture are arguably even more conformist.

But hey, they're young and just trying to fit in somewhere.
    If they haven't graduated High School yet I can cut them some slack.

But once you're out of High School, it's time to start being yourself.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    True story.

Old man sitting in a chair sees this young kid walk by with a rainbow colored Mohawk haircut and stares at him.

Kid notices the man staring at his hair and said:
    " What you lookin at? Didn't you do anything wild when you were young?"

Without missing a beat the old man says:
    "Yep. When I was young, I got so drunk one night I slept with a parrot. I was just lookin to see if you were my son".

I laughed so hard I peed a little.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2014
    Jakarta- Indonesia
    it has become a hobby for some. The Hipsters started it when it got big enough for them to find out about it, but still small enough that not everyone was doing it.
    There are the hardcore hobbyists, and there are the just wanna quit smoking people.

whichever you fit in to man

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2014
    usa
    Hey now. I have tattoos and piercings, and I am 27. I don't do it to rebel or be unique, and I don't do it to fit in. I do it because I like it, aesthetically. Not all tattoos and piercings are aesthetically pleasing to me, so I get ones I feel are attractive. Believe it nor not, there are people who feel it is attractive. People have different tastes. And I like to look in the mirror and like how I look... which includes tattoos and piercings that I find tasteful.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Hey now. I have tattoos and piercings, and I am 27. I don't do it to rebel or be unique, and I don't do it to fit in. I do it because I like it, aesthetically. Not all tattoos and piercings are aesthetically pleasing to me, so I get ones I feel are attractive. Believe it nor not, there are people who feel it is attractive. People have different tastes. And I like to look in the mirror and like how I look... which includes tattoos and piercings that I find tasteful.

When we were young, older people
    Laughed at us, made fun of our clothes and hairstyles, etc.
    It toughened us up and prepared us for the real world, which is harsh and unforgiving.
    lol
    Suck it up.
    One day you be old and crotchety and you can laugh and talk smack about the young crowd.

Now get the hell off my lawn.

MsLoud

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 16, 2013
    My son is 6'4, 26 years old, gauge earrings, goatee with Johnny Depp hair (he can put it in a man-bun - yes I LOVE that look!) and vapes a GP Piccoloid v1 because he can...

Hes been working and supporting himself and his insane busy life style (girlfriends) since he was 18. I love him and he makes me smile - every day :)

six

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2011
    under the blue sky
    I'm soon to be 47 years old. I've been successfully vaping for over 2 years now. [...] This is both the customers and the employees. I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

Those are the exact people you and I created... What did we give those kids? Skateboarding, for one thing. Tony Hawk is our age. What else did we give them? Most of their music from metal to rap to you-name-it. I could type a list (a long one from mountain bikes to jello shots), but let's cut it down to just the vaping that is on topic...

When I started vaping, there wasn't a such thing as a tank and variable voltage was a concept, not a main stream product. De-bridging an attomizer was considered a little extreme. The "cloud" didn't really exist until someone decided the 306 was worth tweaking.... So, innovative folks considered the nicotine delivery system. Those innovative folks are all old geezers now (some older than others, Zen looks like Santa Clause, Most Angry Pirate is no spring chicken, and I can't guess at Buzzkill's age, but he has some years behind him {I won't go through the long list of innovators who got us to where we are regarding much cooler devices and way more effective nic delivery} )

Just like so many other things, our generation simply showed the next a better way and we perfected it before passing it on. When considering their appearance and their strange behavior, we should really just consider ourselves lucky they didn't follow our lead regarding our clothing and hairstyles from the 70s and 80s... perhaps instead of telling them to get off our lawn.

Reactions: DC2

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Lots of good comments as usual.

When I started to vape, I bought my vape gear and e-liquid in a vape shop. Realizing that vape shops were going to carry different e-liquids I visited about a dozen vape shops and tried out 100% of their best selling e-liquids.
    None of the vape shops were close to me. I was traveling at least 10 miles and up to 35 miles away, taking from 30 minutes to over and hour to get to them.

If they had 25 e-liquids lined up, I tried them all. At each shop I bought something, no matter how small. In some, I walked out with a dozen premixed flavors. In each case, shop owners were happy I purchased something. Once or twice I was recommended something other than what I went in to the shop for. I chalk it up to the person behind the counter thinking they were better informed than I was.

I joined ECF at about the same time I started to vape and had access to tips on the current trends, gear, premixed flavors, batteries, chargers, and the entire field of DIY (discussions about nicotine, flavors, lab gear, recipes, pg/vg). I discovered that many of the shop sales people were a bit less educated than I was at times, and I do most of my shopping online now.

ECF lets me do the research, and keep me from doing the legwork.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    People loathed the Beats. But we got On the Road and Howl from them. Who knows... Maybe the Hipsters (21st century beatniks?) will leave us with a great American novel or a poem that defines an entire generation. But I doubt it. The vaping hipsters did help push the tech envelope. I wouldn't be using a "clearomizer" again if it wasn't for the cloud chasers.

Reactions: dedi

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 21, 2013
    chattanooga, tn, usa
    Oh my gosh, when I see pictures or film of what we wore back in the 1960's and 70's, I cringe. We were so hep, cool, daring and full of ourselves.......BUT clothes aren't permanent!

I grew up knowing tatoos. Dad and his twin were career Navy and in their initial enlistment days, and to commenorate King Neptune's Ceremony tatoos at the first port were in order. Tatoos on their feet, on their calves, on their forearms, and most important their service number close to their armpit. (If there was a ship fire, the armpit was suppose to be the last place to burn.)

This was before WWII and they were in their early 20's. Handsome fellas full of spit and vinegar. Ha! Grandma still called them her "boys" when she was 90 and they were in their 70's.......By the time they reached their 50's, those tatoos were getting kind of blurry.
    By the time they reached their 70's, those tatoos were looking more like heavy duty bruises.

I am hoping that the art form has progressed since then, and those covered with some serious tats will not experience what my dad and uncle did.......Skin does do weird things as it ages.

BTW, two daughters (50's and mid 30's) have a couple. :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread