Set the alarm off....

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0rtnei

Jan 23, 2014
Kingsport, TN
I have never had an issue vaping in public. I won't do it in close proximity to others, but if I'm in a store I might occasionally vape in an aisle off to myself. I think most people see it and think it's some kind of fancy .... (my first reaction to apvs)...and they assume "oh no smoke! Oh God I'm going to die if smoke particles get on me!"...ironically, I just gave an informative speech on vaping to my communications class, and everybody loved it! Most people were unaware of "vaping" and what it consists of. I feel as if I opened up the eyes to some of my peers that otherwise would've had a negative opinion to seeing vapor coming out of such a device. They even requested for me to vape it in the classroom! So that just lets me know that people's ignorance causes them to not accept it. They need to be informed! And not by the negative tobacco company propoganda...people need the unbiased facts.

Honestly i think if a smoker sees somebody vaping in public, their first question is "wow what is that and where can I get one?" Most people think ecigs are simply BluCigs, and aren't used to seeing something more advanced. I myself would've been vaping ages ago had I known there were such advanced devices that gave me the amount of "smoke" and throat hit that an analog is capable of. Anyway...let me get to my story...

I've vaped in walmart, lowes, restaurants, etc. (although I keep my restaurant vaping to the bathroom). Nothing bad has ever happened or been said to me. People curiously look at me, and some even ask what it is that I am doing, and I'm thrilled to explain it to them! And they are genuinely intrigued when I get finished. Their judgement subsides once they are informed. The other day, I was in Michaels (the craft store), actually looking for some paint to decorate my tank. I had vaped a few times since I was in there for 3 hours, but nothing heavy and open. Suddenly the fire alarm goes off and people start looking around and walking toward the door. Nothing was said, and it was eventually cut off.

My first thought is that my vapor triggered it. But how could my vapor simulate smoke, and how could it float as one smokey body all the way up to the ceiling to trigger this? It dissipates as soon as it's blown out! That place is like a warehouse, the ceilings are at least 30 feet high. Plus, how is a fire alarm that sensitive? I've even blown vapor into my own carbon monoxide detector and nothing has happened! Nor did it set the alarms off at the hotel where I work when I blew it straight into them to test it (which have extremely sensitive detectors). So this makes me think that someone has saw me vaping, and possibly not wanting to piss me off considering I had a cart full of junk (even though I went in for one item), has pulled the alarm. I would hope that if someone was offended by my vaping, they would've just came to me and said something. I wasn't blowing out huge clouds, just a small vape here or there. And I hold it in to reduce the amount blown out.

So, how in the world did this happen?
Was it even something I did and not just a fluke? Wrong place at wrong time?
Can vapor trigger smoke detectors, and if so, why?
What is in it to make it do this?
why wouldn't it do it in other places? Detector sensitivity maybe?

These are all the questions running through my mind. Has this happened to anyone else?
I'm actually reluctant to vape now! The stupid newspaper printed an article today about vaping causing pneumonia. I will never give up vaping no matter what they say. If I have to do it in my closet, in the dark, away from the world, I will continue this because nothing is worse than analogs!

It might have been coincidence. I'm sitting under a known-good (I just tested it this month) smoke alarm in a haze of vapor. Said haze has been in here for about eighteen months. :) The room's small, and the detector is right over my head at about eight feet.

I've never set it off, nor any others. And believe me, when stressed I can create my own personal fog bank.

I suppose the detector could have been set really sensitive, but you'd think it would go off just from dust if that's the case (assuming it works by the blocking of alpha particles the way most do).

Offhand, I wouldn't torture yourself about it. Tons of us vape around tons of smoke detectors every day, in close proximity, and have no issues.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
What usually happens is that someone forgets to keep the riser pressure pumped up in the system. They do tend to lose pressure. When you lose pressure, the fire alarm goes off. That's what's supposed to happen. A fire melts the fuseable link in the sprinkler head and it starts shooting out water, causing the pressure to drop. I would chalk it up to coincidence.

k0rtnei

Jan 23, 2014
Kingsport, TN
Oh yeah that link in the sprinklers can be easily broken! At work one time, some kids were playing around in a room one night, throwing pillows...and hit the sprinkler head causing it to go off. Another time, a couple hung a coat hanger from it and it went off. I would've crawled under a rack and died had the sprinklers started going off!

I'd say coincidence or someone pulled it thinking they'd scare me from vaping in there. Our local Michaels has the most backward, unintelligent employees for some reason, and I wouldn't put that past them. I've tried to return stuff before (with my receipt, within 2 weeks) and they always try like heck to give me a lovely "store credit" card instead of handing back the cash! Not to mention they seem to have an issue with giving back the full amount paid for an item as well. So yeah, either someone's neglected to maintain the fire alarm system, or they've pulled it to avoid confrontation. I'll go back when my hana mods v3 comes in and give them a real vapefest.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
It won't set off a classic sprinkler with a fusible link. Those have to get hot (or have pillows thrown at them. ;) ).

The standard smoke alarm detects particulates in the air. There are stories that the smoke alarms in aircraft toilets are sensitive to vapour, but it seems to require much more vapour than it requires smoke.

I'm 99% sure this was coincidence, with a further 0.9% that it was a dumb passive aggressive employee.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
So I just want to make sure of this since my office has a sprinkler head right above where I sit: If I vape in my office, it will not set off the sprinkler head right?

There are two different ways for smoke detectors to work. One of those methods, vaping will not set off. The other one, it will. Many smoke detectors use both systems, which means that for most smoke detectors, vaping can set them off. When I first started vaping, I took my smoke detector off the wall and vaped directly into it. It quite definitely went off. I've read a story here about someone vaping in a hotel room and setting off the detector by accident, so I'm convinced it can happen.

TheAmazingDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
San Jose, California, United States
As a former fire alarm inspector for ADT, I have some advice to lend here.

What usually happens is that someone forgets to keep the riser pressure pumped up in the system. They do tend to lose pressure. When you lose pressure, the fire alarm goes off. That's what's supposed to happen. A fire melts the fuseable link in the sprinkler head and it starts shooting out water, causing the pressure to drop. I would chalk it up to coincidence.

Not necessarily true, but maybe for a "dry riser" system, but these are typically only used in refrigerated areas. There is a plastic flapper which matches the inside diameter of the fire sprinkler riser. Water flows through it, and it moves, activating a switch mounted on the outside of the pipe. Pressure drop will not set this off, only water flow will.

DC2S5524.jpg

Commercial-grade smoke detectors work differently from typical household fire detectors. They do not detect smoke, per se, but detect fine particulate suspended in the air using an infrared emitter, an infrared detector, and calculate light refraction through a substance. You could blow vapor directly at one of these and most certainly set it off. I know this is fact because we used to test them with a substance called Canned Smoke, which would release a fine-particulate vapor just for testing smoke alarms.

25SBR.jpg

Not saying OP set off the alarm, but vaping under a smoke detector can certainly set it off.

TheAmazingDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
San Jose, California, United States
So I just want to make sure of this since my office has a sprinkler head right above where I sit: If I vape in my office, it will not set off the sprinkler head right?

No, it needs heat to melt the fused link which holds the plug in the sprinkler. Newer models use a small glass vial with a colored liquid (to indicate it's designed temp range) that will burst and allow the plug to pop out under water pressure.

Typical heat ranges are 165 for office/habitable areas, and 190 for server rooms, kitchens, etc. Temps may be wrong, it's been a while since I worked in the industry. Kitchens will also have a dry-chemical extinguisher over the actual cooking areas.

Ripshod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
Goole, United Kingdom
Quick interlude.

Generally 2 types of detector are used:

1. Ionization: This picks up ions which only a flame can produce. In good working order unaffected by vapors.

2. Optical: This actually detects the fine particles in smoke. Can 'see' the vapor as smoke.

I know in the UK the optical detectors are usually for use in kitchens (open flames).

Irish Lass

Jul 8, 2014
Belfast
Quick interlude.

Generally 2 types of detector are used:

1. Ionization: This picks up ions which only a flame can produce. In good working order unaffected by vapors.

2. Optical: This actually detects the fine particles in smoke. Can 'see' the vapor as smoke.

I know in the UK the optical detectors are usually for use in kitchens (open flames).

So...do you know which type would be used in most hotel rooms? And....is it illegal to vape in a hotel room in the UK or in other countries, e.g. Canada? I'm worried now. Going to Vancouver later this summer and the local smoking bye-laws are so draconian I was hoping I'd be able to vape in my room in the hotel, as all hotels there are 100% non-smoking throughout. Wouldn't harm anyone to vape in the room, but would really be scared to do so if I could set the alarm off!

K*Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
South Jersey
I just did a test in my house. I vape often in my house, fogging out the room I'm in and it nevers goes off. But, I just blew a big cloud directly into the smoke alarm and viola the all house was beeping and saying Fire Fire! (mine are all connected electrically). So, the answer is yes vapor does set off smoke alarms. I was quite shocked that it did, because like I said a can fog a room up, that has a smoke detector in it, pretty bad.

heyilikethis

Jun 21, 2014
pittsburgh
lol scared the hell out of myself once with a fire alarm, had my dripper cap off was firing and blowing into it trying to get most of the last flavor out without rewicking(lazy i know) but didnt realize i was blowing into a fire alarm on my shelf :laugh:, to the op tho i really doubt one of those types of stores would have alarms close enough to set them off by vaping, unless cloud chasing and seriously blowing straight into them, even then ide be doubtful, i vape quite a bit at my local food-store when i go late at night and never had an issue using my mech and sub ohm dripper and they have those 30ft ceiling ur talking about, either way going in there with the intent to blow clouds in the store may not be the best idea even if it was an ill-informed employee or such, kill em with kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread