Severe acid refluxer needs to quit analogs. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I have severe acid reflux and vaping hasn't made it any worse nor better I take meds 2 times a day. I also have to drink liquid antacid when it get's really bad. I ended up in the ER a couple of times from the acid getting into my lungs, wasn't fun. I sleep on my left side with a few pillows to prop me up. Wish I could afford a sleep number but the pillows help. My Dr of course was blaming it on vaping ( New Doctor) I told her look in my records as I had it when smoking. She didn't know what to say then. Some Doctors just don't read and say it's just as bad as smoking.

You can also get a foam wedge and use that to keep you a little elevated while you sleep. IME, pillows just push your head up more, but a wedge should keep your upper body somewhat elevated, which is what you want.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I have toyed with MTL vaping for several years, but never quit analogs. I have a hiatal hernia and was diagnosed, yesterday, with severe acid reflux. Made major lifestyle changes, including an acid reflux diet, but have to quit smoking. I've vaped 50/50 vg/pg, 12 mg nic and blueberry or coffee flavors from Mt Baker Vapor or EC Liquid. Does anyone have advice on the effects of vaping on this life changing diagnosis? Will vaping make my AR worse? I haven't tried DIY and wouldn't know where to start.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read:
Section 1: Medical symptoms of tobacco cessation ; 6. Heartburn, acid reflux,
re: A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette
Would hold off on DIY until your condition and vape unknowns become more manageable and predictable.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Sorry to hear about your problem with AR. I have occasional heartburn but nothing a few Tums can't handle. I've been a caregiver for a long time and have taken care of many people who had to be propped up in bed. The secret to keep yourself from sliding down in bed when propped up is to raise your knees up from 1/3 to 1/2 as high as your head. This creates a pocket/shelf that helps keep you from sliding down.

Hope that helps, oh, and also, welcome to ECF. :thumbs:

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
I've got it to, never had when I was smoking. Been many years since I smoked, mine doesn't bother me at all during the day, all the magic happens at night :facepalm:. After massive dental restorations this summer and the prescribed inhalers prescribed for "copd" which didn't work. Went back and started really questioning all this. Had barium swallow test, confirmed sliding hiatal hernia and previously dx'd gerd. Been on the ppi for 6/7 weeks with little to no relief. Now for the new egd and see if they can come up with a fix...:unsure:, good thing my deductible and out of pocket is pretty much met for the year.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread