Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You demonstrate one of the big problems with modern society. Rather that argue with logic and thought, you take things personally/emotionally. That's affected politics, where the parties can no longer agree to disagree - it's "us against them." It affects constructive discussion, where people want to turn intellectual arguments into personal attacks.

If you don't have an informed rebuttal, simply don't reply.

Mike, you started this thread. You have not responded to anyone yet with discussion about what has been said about your post. And now you are OT in your own thread and looking to me like you're trolling.

Do you really want to go there?

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
You seem very insecure in your beliefs.

If that made one iota of sense to me, I might try to be snarky in return.

Which belief am I insecure in, exactly?

My Conservative political beliefs?
My Christian religious beliefs?
My belief that the Samsung Galaxy is a superior smartphone to the Apple iPhone?
My belief that dogs are better than cats?
My belief that BJJHQ.com needs to improve their shipping label placement habits?

If you're going to attack me, please tell me exactly what it is that you're attacking.

Last edited:

Mike.S

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
Michigan
Mike, you started this thread. You have not responded to anyone yet with discussion about what has been said about your post. And now you are OT in your own thread and looking to me like you're trolling.

Do you really want to go there?
I count maybe 1 cogent response so far, and I'll let it stand as legitimate opinion.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Not differentiating between different delivery devices by their proper name and instead callig them all vaporizers or whatever else you think is proper will actually make things worse. As different delivery systems provide different performance to various people. Heck, they need to be broken down even more based on the style, bottom coil, top coil, dual coil, single coil...genisis style, etc etc etc.

Knowing the correct terminology aids new vapers in finding devices that perform correctly for them vs those that do not.

I won't get into the rest of your post.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! :thumbs:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
"Vaping." OK, I understand the desire to differentiate from smoking tobacco, I really do. But please understand that "vaping" is likely to convey (illegal) drug connotations to the general public, right or wrong. I can't pretend to have come up with something better, but "smoking alternative" or "vapor smoking" is probably better received, whether it looks like a cigarette or not.

How about we call it "not smoking and not in a mad rush to die"?

"Analogs." Just call them cigarettes, which is what everyone else does. If you want to make people think they're not part of the club, calling them analogs is a good start.

We could call them cancer sticks!

"Cartos." "Attos." "Clearos." "Glassos." etc. They're all atomizers/vaporizers (pick a term). I get the whole custom/differentiation thing, but lose the cuteness and use one all encompassing term to refer to this part. Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo are OK.

Well, no...they're NOT all the same. They're all different and we use the different terms to distinguish one from another. You'll figure it out after you've been here a while.

"e-juice," "e-liquid." It's not the juice of anything. It's not electronic ("e") in any way. It's a liquid, just call it that. Or maybe "e-cigarette liquid."

Let's just call it "Melvin".

... does "mod' mean? Perhaps it at one time meant modified. But, if you can buy a "mod" off the shelf, it's not modified, is it? Just call it a battery. Maybe it's fancy. It doesn't matter, it's a battery (holder).

You need something better to do with your time than overanalyze this...lol

VV/VW. VV is really CV - sure, you control (vary) it, but you're telling it to deliver a Constant Voltage. VW is the same only different, it's actually Constant Wattage. Plain batteries with no electronics provide VV/VW - the Voltage/Wattage varies as you drain the battery. And that terminology come from a long history of professional, lab grade, voltage sources/power supplies, don't try to change it. But it is, first and foremost, a battery.

What flowerpots said.

Having said all that (and I'm sure I could think of more), I don't expect to change the industry. But many here seem to want to encourage this to go mainstream faster than it already is. The whole terminology thing makes that hard, and presents a barrier to entry - fundamentally there are only three things involved - a power source (call it a battery), a liquid, and a vaporizer. Don't make it harder than it is, that comes later. If you try to get someone into it, tell them to get a battery (and charger), a vaporizer which fits it, and a liquid which tastes good to them - the detail comes later.

Seriously, you're too concerned about this stuff. The fact is that vaping is NOT quite as simple as you want it to be and it's been around longer than your foray into the activity. The more people are out there doing it - and using the terminology - the more others will understand. Those who aren't vaping don't need to know half this stuff, anyway, like what a mod is or what type of delivery device one uses. They likely won't even CARE because it will be irrelevant to them.

Or, don't. But expect that big tobacco will make it easy to understand/buy/use, and that's where the market will go. This industry is its own worst enemy.

Big Tobacco is also fighting Big Pharm. Chances are, Big Pharm and the government will win, regardless of what words we use. If you're so concerned about it you can visit the CASAA.org site, learn more about it and the fight to keep it available for us, and work on REALLY making a difference other than just lecturing people on this message board and just looking like a pissy n00b without a clue.

Now, get off my lawn.

I'll bet you shake your fists at clouds, too....lol

Last edited:

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
As a semi-newbie, I can relate to a point, but this is my 8-months-into-VAPING point-by-point response:

All forms of living have terminology - pick any activity, sport, hobby, job, whatever, and there will be jargon specific to it. Man-up.

Vaping was coined long before you or I got here and it's likely here to stay. Whether it's good, bad, silly, connotes other activities, I think we will likely see it everywhere. Do you have a better term?

I tend to agree with you here, I thought this was an odd term when I first started too, but again, it's social jargon terminology around the activity of vaping. Not worth a fight if you ask me.

Okay, here is where you are just wrong. The terms do matter because the terms describe the type of delivery device it is, what kind of materials it uses/is made from, and how it you use it. I was confused by the terms for weeks myself. You read, ask questions, learn, then move on.

I don't know how to even respond to this. It's liquid used for an electronic device. Doesn't seem like rocket science. (Did someone pee in your wheaties this morning?)

A mod is a term used to refer to modified device, yes. It's a catch-all term in some cases, but for some, it's specific. It's not the battery you use for powering the device. The device is the mod, you insert the batteries into the device to power it. For beginners, the term batteries is what refers to cigalike models, eGo style batterires and their VV counterparts - regulated batteries with a circuit board.

VV?VW is used to separate it from the standard battery that has a set voltage and wattage which you cannot control. If you can control it, it can be varied, therefore, it's called variable.

It is that simple, but as is true with everything in else in life, the more you learn, the more details you see, so you use different terms. It's much easier to use terms than to makie a 3 paragraph intro for each post you make to explain what you are talking about.

I'm not sure that what we use a terminology between ourselves is going to kill our chances against BT, but maybe I'm naive. What people see is not this forum. They see websites, commercials, read news articles and listen to radio/TV news.

You're a really bright semi-Newbie. :thumbs:

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
:pop: ... Wait for it.....

Clarifying: Wasn't legitimately calling you a hypocrite. Was referring to you talking about that-which-shall-not-be-talked-about, which, of course, is the handshake...

... Crap... Just talked about it...

... Time to off myself.

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Im still trying to get this one down !

images.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread