Status
Not open for further replies.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
Rejoice, thanks for reminding me to load up on spare parts-just in case.

Tone, thanks for the tinning both parts first tip, it's great

kinbaloo, thanks for the tip about using sandpaper

Stormynights, Thanks for the reminder not to touch the soldering iron, Sheesh, I was just trying to see if it was hot enough!

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
I have also read to clean the tip with a damp sponge frequently and keep the point tinned (solder on it, so it doesn't oxidize)

I use one of these:
FRYS.com | Hakko
I find it works better than a sponge as it doesn't cool the tip down.

Use your flux on connections prior to soldering them, its a weak acid that helps to clean off any oxidation.

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
I use one of these:
FRYS.com*|*Hakko
I find it works better than a sponge as it doesn't cool the tip down.

Use your flux on connections prior to soldering them, its a weak acid that helps to clean off any oxidation.

I second that, nerf, that brass tip cleaner is the best thing I've discovered my entire soldering life. Since using one of those, I haven't had to file down the soldering tip to get fresh copper exposed. My tips last forever now. I swipe the brass and immediately tin with rosin core solder every time I pick up the iron, even if it has only been a few minutes. Sounds like a hassle, but once it's routine, you won't even notice doing it. And it sure beats having to file the tip and replace it every month or two.

The only thing I flux is nichrome and stainless (and copper plumbing pipes). The acid in the flux will eventually corrode the metal and you are forced to use baking soda to neutralize it and then you have to rinse that off. Too much hassle, unless you have to.

Moved On
May 10, 2009
Pacific NW
Don't even bother with rosin core solder, (IMO) it's too large and clumsy for small projects like this. Just get small gauge solder and separate flux. I build global marine distress signal systems all day and I can tell you that having a wet sponge on the deck of your soldering iron holder is the most efficient way to keep the tip clean and do a pretty job.

Don't scrimp on a cheapo soldering iron, you'll be sorry. Get one that has an external controller box and on\off switch. DO NOT get a soldering "gun" with the "pistol grip", precision soldering requires you to hold the iron like a pencil. I like small tips.

Stereoscopes are a good investment if you plan on soldering alot, you know, the magnified goggles? I use them for everything, not just surface mount soldering.

More heat and less contact time is better than less heat and more contact time. The latter is a good way to melt switches, chips, etc. or send a hot plasma wave through you whole circuit melting everything non-metallic.

As stated previously, tinning is the most efficient way to quickly solder components, use flux on bare wire first before tinning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mechvap
A basic tip but an important one is to use a small size nib on the iron. Mains power ones that come with only one nib usually have a nib that's too big. A smaller one is much easier to use (position) and heats things better as it gets hotter.

Before a new session, sandpaper the tip and then 'tin it' with a slight coating of solder.

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
From my NASA High Reliability Soldering Certification course: NASA certification was developed after a failed launch of a space craft. The cause was determined to be excessive solder throughout the craft. 300 pounds more solder than needed!!!

These are some random tips that come to mind;

The very first rule is to use as little solder and heat as possible to obtain a reliable joint. If you examine the joint closely you should be able to see the shape of the parts of the connection with a smooth transition. In other words the solder should conform to the shape of the connection.

Soldering is easy, but it requires practice of proper technique before you attempt a serious project. Use scrap wire and components to practice.

Make sure that your connections are mechanically solid prior to soldering.

Use a vice, forceps, clips, or some other method to hold the work firmly so you don't have to chase it with the soldering iron.

Use alcohol to clean up if you use rosin core solder.
Do not ever use any type of acid core solder or flux on electronics.

If you are concerned about lead in your e-cig then use lead free 'silver solder'.

When working in tight spaces avoid tunnel vision, watch out for the soldering iron getting too close to other components.

Avoid overheating by pre-cleaning, tinning, and use flux. This will help make the solder joint quickly to allow minimal heating.

Drip works for vaping, but NOT for soldering. :evil:
Heat the connection and let it melt and attract the solder rather than trying to use solder as glue. Use a tiny bit of solder on a clean tip to help conduct heat to the connection faster.

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
Another tip I forgot to mention, it's not so important for modding, but in some situations it is important.

Shield sensitive components from soldering heat by using a heat sink clip between the soldering point and the component. This will transfer excess heat to the heat sink rather than over heating the component.

And: A lot of people assume there is a 'short' when something doesn't work, it's usually not a short but an open.

A short is like dropping a wrench across your car battery terminals (DO NOT try this! you will get a spectacular and dangerous amount of heat, sparks, and molten metal).

An open is more common, it simply means there is no continuity like when a fuse blows, or a wire comes loose.

mnealtx

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
1. Tin your wires and connectors.

2. Use stranded wire, if you can - it holds up to movement/vibration better.

3. Make your mechanical connections first, THEN solder

4. Ideally, you should be able to see the shape of your wire within the solder, not a huge blob. Look at the 'lap splice' picture, here - see how the shape of the wire is visible through the solder join? That's what you want.

5. Use the highest heat and shortest time on the join that you can. You get a better flow of solder and less chance for a cold join due to movement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread