Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Don't even bother with rosin core solder, (IMO) it's too large and clumsy for small projects like this. Just get small gauge solder and separate flux. I build global marine distress signal systems all day and I can tell you that having a wet sponge on the deck of your soldering iron holder is the most efficient way to keep the tip clean and do a pretty job.

Don't scrimp on a cheapo soldering iron, you'll be sorry. Get one that has an external controller box and on\off switch. DO NOT get a soldering "gun" with the "pistol grip", precision soldering requires you to hold the iron like a pencil. I like small tips.

Stereoscopes are a good investment if you plan on soldering alot, you know, the magnified goggles? I use them for everything, not just surface mount soldering.

More heat and less contact time is better than less heat and more contact time. The latter is a good way to melt switches, chips, etc. or send a hot plasma wave through you whole circuit melting everything non-metallic.

As stated previously, tinning is the most efficient way to quickly solder components, use flux on bare wire first before tinning.

What temp do you solder at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
First off don't buy flux at lowe's you need stuff from a electronics source not home improvement.
https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals...=1496445859&sr=8-1&keywords=mg+chemicals+flux
Solder for most our needs Radio Shack 60/40 0.32 will work.
The biggest tip I can give you is most new guys try to solder at way to low of temp on my hakko I'm at 650 to 700F, the idea is heat it quick and get out of there.
Sponges yea just replace them I just use one from the grocery store

Reactions: Wheelin247

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
First off don't buy flux at lowe's you need stuff from a electronics source not home improvement.
https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals...=1496445859&sr=8-1&keywords=mg+chemicals+flux
Solder for most our needs Radio Shack 60/40 0.32 will work.
The biggest tip I can give you is most new guys try to solder at way to low of temp on my hakko I'm at 650 to 700F, the idea is heat it quick and get out of there.
Sponges yea just replace them I just use one from the grocery store

The flux I was talking about in the tube I got as a kit with my el cheapo iron. It's all I have so I'm making due. While on the topic of flux, what flux should I get? I ordered this (pic below) off eBay. I can't seem to get the solder to stick to the wire with this flux but with the tube Lowes kit flux it works but since I don't know what I'm missing with the correct kind of flux it's all I have to base my experience on.
83a881d9290971c2782feafcb1261a1c.jpg

That sucks that I'm now finding out about this Radio Shack flux, I'm in Florida and all of the Radio Shacks down here closed Tuesday. They were getting rid of everything in the store. I found that out by calling to see if they had any wire. I'll have to order it online and pay shipping then :0(.

On the temp of my iron I have it set right now to 680. I was watching a video online of the guy that used to own Analog Box Mods solder a Raptor chip and build the mod from start to finish and while reading through the comments someone asked him where he sets his temp and he said he has his set at 680 so I thought if it's working for him I can make it work.

I'll have to pick up a brass sponge next time the wife drags me to Walmart. Is there anyway to clean it or are they cheap enough you just have a couple and toss the used one when it gets full?

I have an X-Tronic 3020. Reading through this thread I noticed people saying if your soldering to chips and boards to have a fine tip. The pic below is the tip that came on mine with a penny next to it for size reference and the flux that came in the kit from Lowes is in the pic also. Is this too big for soldering to boards? If not their website is XTronicUSA. That's to their tips. Could you look at the sight and let me know what tip I would get for chips and board soldering? Also if you have any other tips or ricks for a newbie, feel free to let me know.
8e85eda23e35132cf10c39c03cc4353a.jpg

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Wheelin on the flux I recommended at a electronics store it's around $6. The reason I like this is, it's thick I squeeze a small amount out and apply it to a board with a toothpick. Watch this video and see how this guy solders and I guarantee success he starts around 32:00

It says video not found. I've noticed that's what is happening to almost every vid off this thread.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
That's the right flux that 10ml will last a long time doesn't take much. That tip you are using should be fine, I like a small chisel tip. I sent you a pm on the link maybe it work there or type the title on youtube. Even with your temp set at 680 if the solder is not melting fast crank the heat up more it should be almost instant when solder touches the tip. The way the guy in the video he pretinns board and wire then loads his tip that way you are not fiddling with trying to hold iron and wire at the same time. Not the best way but it will get you started doing the basics.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Flux is used to remove surface corrosion that prevents proper solder flow. Usually, the corrosion is invisible to the naked eye and can occur within mins of contacting air/oxygen. There are different kinds of flux. I would strongly suggest no-clean flux that doesn't leave a harmful residue on electronics, otherwise, you need to scrub off the residue or it will corrode the joint and pcb.

I use Kester 951. They're normally sold in gallon bottles and over $100 but there's a guy on eBay that sells them in small 1.25oz bottles for under $5 shipped.
KESTER 951 NO CLEAN FLUX FOR PS3 XBOX REFLOW 1.25oz | eBay

Or Amazon (2oz for under $10)
https://www.amazon.com/Kester-951-S...TF8&qid=1496598289&sr=8-2&keywords=kester+951

I bought from the eBay guy before and can recommend him (no relation). I use a 30ml needle tip bottle like the Amazon link to dispense it and it works well. There is a bit of residue left behind but it's non-corrosive so you don't have to clean it if you don't want. You do NOT want to buy any liquid flux in those pen type dispensers. They dry out in days to weeks.

I use a brass sponge and a wet sponge to clean the tip. The solder in the brass sponge doesn't stick and just falls to the bottom of the tray/container so it's easy to dump out. You might need to shake the brass sponge to get the solder out. The wet sponge usually needs to be replaced after a while.

The temp depends on the gauge of wire you're soldering. I start around 650°F up to 800°F for 14g or thicker. I use a Hakko FX888D and it holds the tip temp better so you might need to go up 50°F or so lower end soldering irons. Depending on what I'm soldering, I use a rounded needle point tip or small chisel tip for most wire soldering.

Jamesbarnhart

Aug 29, 2017
While soldering put less stress on the printed circuit board. Use a heat sink to avoid damaging of the sensitive part with heat. If you drill your own boards, don't make the holes too much bigger than the component leads. If you want to get more soldering tips and solder training and certification then you must have to take Solder Certification from industry's best solder training center.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
While soldering put less stress on the printed circuit board. Use a heat sink to avoid damaging of the sensitive part with heat. If you drill your own boards, don't make the holes too much bigger than the component leads. If you want to get more soldering tips and solder training and certification then you must have to take Solder Certification from industry's best solder training center.

I appreciate the info but I'm good now. Got a good variable temp soldering iron and have made probably 10 mods since first posting this on here. I don't need to spend money for a piece of paper telling me I'm certified. I'm a certified welder and soldering is a lot like welding per say but again, I appreciate the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread