sharing my story (could also use advice if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NummNummz

Aug 14, 2017
georgia
Hello, first I would like to say I am not new to vaping. I have been off of regular cigarettes since 2009, started vaping in 2010. and vaping has changed my life a lot. I used to have terrible terrible coughs all day from smoking the worst cigarettes;Newport Menthol. Which, has fiberglass in them. frightening fact. but my box mod has saved my life. It got rid of all that coughing years ago, and my lungs improved which is good. because I have a small case of asthma. not the wheezing kind. just get short of breathe from being overweight. at times. I dont require a inhaler or anything either. or medication for it. Anyways. I have been vaping for years and it's never been one of those hobby things for me. I just use it for my stressful days, or my anxiety. my mental health issues. because when u need something to calm you down it helps, I have had mental health issues all my life. from a lot of traumatic experiences. PTSD, suicidal attempts, cutting and depression was some of the worst after effects caused by those experiences. I'm proud to have fought through it all for years now though surviving hospital trips and lots of bad doctors and rape. but I still have PTSD. It still being one i deal with, It makes me jumpy and scared of a lot of things and stressed out a lot of times because it storms all the time here in Georgia. and sudden loud noises scare me. I Have noticed because I get nauseous when I'm nervous that for some reason it helps, for years..whenever i get an upset stomach it always calms it down. I will start vaping and after a bit my stomach doesn't hurt anymore. so I've used it for years for my nervous tummy. I have had migraines all my life since I was little when they first started putting me on so many medications for mental health. side effects. from crappy doctors. sad but true, and when I say migraines, I don't mean your everyday migraine. I have severe migraines. an extreme case of them in fact. doctors have tried so many medications to fix them but nothing seems to work. in fact sometimes they have had me on two medications at once and still nothing works. And a lot of times the medications make them worse or Make me so doped up i black out at random. or cant remember things. In fact one medication ever since I was on it, Even though Ive been off of it for 2 years now. I still cant sleep in a normal way. if i do sleep ever. I'll sleep soo deep that it feels like i got hit with a rock when i wake up. and when i first wake up i wont remember my name for 2 seconds. its freaking scary. my migraines are so bad. because they dont come from the temple area. or the forehead. they come from the top of my head or the back, and feel like someone hit me with a brick. or basically knocked my a** out. But I have this habit of chain vaping and at first in 2010 when i first started the vaping i knew everyone starts that way. because my dad and my best friend were already vapers. so i wasnt new to the scene of vaping. i was used to how things go. plus i knew it would probably take longer to get into my system. But its been since then and my chain vaping has gotten so out of control. that i cant ever put my box mod down. I smoke More than I ever smoked In my entire life ever with real cigarettes. which is weird. considering i smoked the bad kind newports which were freaking addicting. for me. in 2009 and earlier years. I smoke 100% VG juice BTW no dye in it. and the nicotine is at a low 10 or 8 depending on how i need it for the month. but it gets so bad that my dad and only best guy friend fuss at me that i need to stop and let it rest because im over heating it too much. im burning through my cotton too quick. even tho i have it on low. and im not even craving anything. its just me having something there to focus with when im going about my day to do tasks. because otherwise i forget things or get irritated or lost in thought. or when im gaming or watching a movie. my number of puffs on the box mod rises up at least 1000 more puffs from one movie. or episode. literally my box mod now says i have 38,895 puffs on it. and this was a new one i just got. at xmas recently. and its more puffs than my dad has on two of his box mods combined. i dont know if its becoming a focusing thing. or a gamer thing. because i dont even enjoy it. or need it. i just use it every second. chain puffing like crazy. and it prob does help to know. i cant inhale super deep like most people i only take short breathes. because it tickles the back of my throat. I excessively drink water during the day over and over so i am well hydrated, caused by my dry mouth not producing enough saliva caused by my medicines i take everyday. But I'm not risking raising the nicotine. because as i know full fact from past experience, a lot of flavors and percents of nicotine make my migraines skyrocket so bad i pass out. like my dads current cinnamon flavor which is freaking terrible. it smells like the scented pine-cones at Walmart at the back of the store during Xmas. very strong. too strong. and he smokes high nicotine unlike me. and takes huge drags which makes huge clouds that fill up an entire room. an sometimes blows them in my face on purpose to irritate me. cuz well hes a dad. lol. but i love him. high nicotine makes my headaches super bad. but idk i kinda just wanted to share my story but also get some advice if i could. also share my experiences with how its helped me over the years. cuz even if it does cause some issues. The positives it has left on me outweighs the negatives. And one thing I do notice. If I have it sitting on the table right in front of me. yet put a cup or an object right in front of the box mod. even though i know its there. i still wont grab at it or even think about it while I"m gaming or going about my day. it does effectively lower the amount I smoke for the day. since i have bad short term memory I guess it helps. I cant ever take it fully away though as much as i would want to. because even if it is not something I enjoy or like to do for a hobby. It is very much A stable for a lot of my Mental health needs. And without it. I dont think I would be able to even go outside of the house in public and not be anxious in crowds. Social phobia is a strong thing n my life. And this does help with that. A lot. People just dont know how much vaping helps with so many things. I just think like my best friend keeps saying Stop smoking it so often before i overheat it so much that i burn my hands again and again as usual or ruin my box mod. take it in strides. take breaks. maybe. idk portions.

Reactions: listopencil

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I'd say just be careful not to overburden your device. I'm a bit worried about your comment regarding burning your hand. That shouldn't be happening, your device shouldn't be getting hot enough to burn you. Maybe if you can dial back the power and increase the airflow? Other than that - vape how you need to vape. It's helping you cope and it's keeping you off the cigs. Maybe some of us can help you find a different device that won't overheat on you.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, welcome to ECF.

I completely sympathize with mental health issues and the meds and side effects needed to assist.

That said, chain vaping that much isn't healthy either. Do you have a fidget spinner/worry beads/hobby etc., that can help during TV/movies etc? I switched to vaping 2 mo ago but I did find that when I'm in a meeting or watching TV knitting helps me not chain vape, lowers anxiety, gives me something productive to focus on, etc. I'm also learning the guitar, practicing several times a day can be distracting. Even though vaping is safer than smoking, it sounds like the way/amount you are vaping is not. So, it would be good to sit down and make a list of achievable things you can try/do other than *just* vaping.

I won't comment on much else in the post other than to say PTSD and social anxiety are both aided by therapy, so if you aren't working with a therapist (there are therapists that skype these days, if getting out of the house is difficult) it's going to be hard to work on your underlying issues, and make progress. That might be a good option to pursue if you aren't already.

Welcome. Yes, you really can't (well, it's best not to) chain-vape all day long.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Sheilita

NummNummz

Aug 14, 2017
georgia
Welcome to the forum. If you asked for some vaping advice I missed it because of that giant run on paragraph...
yes im sorry about that but like i said in my title i was sharing my story and experience. since im not new to vaping. been doing it for years and years. along with asking for a small bit of advice.

NummNummz

Aug 14, 2017
georgia
I'd say just be careful not to overburden your device. I'm a bit worried about your comment regarding burning your hand. That shouldn't be happening, your device shouldn't be getting hot enough to burn you. Maybe if you can dial back the power and increase the airflow? Other than that - vape how you need to vape. It's helping you cope and it's keeping you off the cigs. Maybe some of us can help you find a different device that won't overheat on you.
yes normally it would not be able to burn me. because i have the air flow opened up entirely. but. at the rate i am puffing away. its gotten bad enough that i am burning my cotton so dry that i don't realize it and i keep puffing anyways not knowing my cotton is gone. so i drip liquid in there fire it up and it inevitably drips oyt because there's no cotton there and i end up burning my hand. so yeah i don't pay much attention like i should. that's how bad i puff at it. when I'm gaming.

Reactions: listopencil

NummNummz

Aug 14, 2017
georgia
Hi, welcome to ECF.

I completely sympathize with mental health issues and the meds and side effects needed to assist.

That said, chain vaping that much isn't healthy either. Do you have a fidget spinner/worry beads/hobby etc., that can help during TV/movies etc? I switched to vaping 2 mo ago but I did find that when I'm in a meeting or watching TV knitting helps me not chain vape, lowers anxiety, gives me something productive to focus on, etc. I'm also learning the guitar, practicing several times a day can be distracting. Even though vaping is safer than smoking, it sounds like the way/amount you are vaping is not. So, it would be good to sit down and make a list of achievable things you can try/do other than *just* vaping.

I won't comment on much else in the post other than to say PTSD and social anxiety are both aided by therapy, so if you aren't working with a therapist (there are therapists that skype these days, if getting out of the house is difficult) it's going to be hard to work on your underlying issues, and make progress. That might be a good option to pursue if you aren't already.

Welcome. Yes, you really can't (well, it's best not to) chain-vape all day long.

Best of luck,

Anna

I dont have a fidget spinner. no. gaming and drawing are my to go hobbies when it comes to calming down or relaxing. they help me focus. and get my mind set on things. i havent smoked cigarettes since 2010. never. i only do vape. but I do only rarely leave my house. because unlike most people my age. in their 20's i don't socialize much or go out much. not by choice. i just never learned proper skills for life. i don't drive. or live on my own. i still live with my parents. im just now learning how to do independent skills and stuff which Ive been procrastinating all my life. because ive been afraid for so long of everything. I dont know a lot of things. money politics. most things in the world. i dont understand. so im trying to learn. a lot. i learn slower than others. i do have A.D.D. but since i cant afford the medication vaping is really all i have to cope with it. and games. or drawing. my only friend is my guy friend. and hes always there to encourage me to learn things. and be myself and go out it took me years and years to be comfortable. i only have him and my parents. im just not like everyone else my age lol. even tho i want to be. Im trying tho. And yes I do have a therapist. a great one Ive been going to for about 8 years or more now. were very close. and i can always call or go see her whenever i need her. so i have support little but support i chose wisely that i trust. and thats all that matters to me.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
yes normally it would not be able to burn me. because i have the air flow opened up entirely. but. at the rate i am puffing away. its gotten bad enough that i am burning my cotton so dry that i don't realize it and i keep puffing anyways not knowing my cotton is gone. so i drip liquid in there fire it up and it inevitably drips oyt because there's no cotton there and i end up burning my hand. so yeah i don't pay much attention like i should. that's how bad i puff at it. when I'm gaming.

Oh, OK, I missed that you were dripping in the OP. I have tried dripping and it was really fiddly to me. I didn't like having to pay so much attention to what I was doing because I am used to using a tank. Off the top of my head I'd suggest that you try using a squonk box instead, or maybe a RDTA. Or - have you ever tried Temp Control? What kind of device do you have, does it do TC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread