Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewtus

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.highdesertvapes.com
As many of you have pointed out, the shipping rates from HDE to HDV have changed. Since October of last year, HDE only charged $5 for shipping regardless of order size/weight. In MANY cases we paid the additional shipping costs and NEVER complained about it. The reality is in less than a years time, we've lost over $4,000 in shipping costs. This is $$ we could have used to buy more products or run more sales, or whatever.

With the new website, HDV, we can now charge the actual shipping costs for your order based on the weight. This is a blessing for us, because if we are going to survive and continue to grow, we NEED to stop bleeding money. As many of you also know we offer some of the LOWEST prices on DIY and other products in the industry. Now I pose a question to you all:

Would you rather pay a higher overall price for all the products we sell, or would you rather pay the actual shipping price for your orders? I know, know....most of you would say neither, but put yourself in our shoes before you answer the question. We want to continue provide you with outstanding products at outstanding prices, but we can long longer afford to subsidize the shipping costs without a product price increase. The other thing to consider is our size... right now we are small but as our business grows we can get better pricing and pass the savings on to you... but that again is hard to do when we are subsidizing shipping costs too. But then again, we can't grow if people do not feel our prices are agreeable. (I feel like we are screwed no matter what, LOL...)

Perhaps there is another option we have not considered that one of you might have?? We are posting this here to have an active and open discussion about the future of HDV and we welcome your input. In the end, you all are our customers and we want to do everything we can to make you happy. I will leave this thread open as long as the discussion is healthy and productive. If I see it start to degenerate into something other than what it was intended I will close it and that will be the end of the discussion.

I appreciate your time and consideration. :toast:

DZ

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Littleton, CO
Actual shipping gets my vote!:2cool: First class shipping option as well.

First class only works for bubble mailers anything that needs to be boxed with go parcel post and can take up to 10 days to get to you.

I say actual cost shipping is where it is at :) I know you pay actual cost when you have to resupply and because most people dont understand that when you re up your cartos it costs you $100 or more just to get it shipped :) plus with actual shipping there is no wool over anyone's eyes so to speak.

If anything offer a little more frequent deals on free shipping I dunno say every last week of the month orders over $50 ship free plus any other sales you might have going on.

Just my .02¢ :D

ArdentHope

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2010
TN
It's currently structured like this, with small orders having a shipping price of only $2.95 and up based on the weight of the order. :toast:

Sounds good to me!!

FYI check your weights on your standard atties; as no matter how many I put in my cart, they continue to say 0.00 OZ (Even up to 100)

ArdentHope

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2010
TN
First class only works for bubble mailers anything that needs to be boxed with go parcel post and can take up to 10 days to get to you.

I say actual cost shipping is where it is at :) I know you pay actual cost when you have to resupply and because most people dont understand that when you re up your cartos it costs you $100 or more just to get it shipped :) plus with actual shipping there is no wool over anyone's eyes so to speak.

If anything offer a little more frequent deals on free shipping I dunno say every last week of the month orders over $50 ship free plus any other sales you might have going on.

Just my .02¢ :D

Right, because I'm poor I can only order in small quantities. Option was the qualifying word I used.

Brewtus

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.highdesertvapes.com
Right, because I'm poor I can only order in small quantities. Option was the qualifying word I used.

Duly noted, we normally use first class for small orders (with the $2.95 rate) but like DZ parcel post really isn't a great option because then we get complaints about LONG shipping times. So we use first class for small order and anything in a box goes priority mail, hence the price increase.

That said USPS is still the cheapest shipper out there, so we will continue to use them in the above methods.

Last edited:

ArdentHope

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2010
TN
I guess I just like options. Because of my financial situation, I'm required to be vigilant about my bottom line (no matter how loyal I'd like to be to one vendor) and that requires many hours of shopping around, adding items to several shopping carts, estimating shipping charges etc. - then finding the best price. I also tend to look to my future needs well ahead of time and order accordingly so that shipping times are not quite as important to me. I'm pretty patient - a "go with the flow" kinda girl and I guess that's kinda rare now a-days (not to mention the fact that I read the disclaimers that explain an options' limitations/expectations) lol.:laugh:

At any rate, thanks for taking the time to listen to your customer's opinions!

Brewtus

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.highdesertvapes.com
I guess I just like options. Because of my financial situation, I'm required to be vigilant about my bottom line (no matter how loyal I'd like to be to one vendor) and that requires many hours of shopping around, adding items to several shopping carts, estimating shipping charges etc. - then finding the best price. I also tend to look to my future needs well ahead of time and order accordingly so that shipping times are not quite as important to me. I'm pretty patient - a "go with the flow" kinda girl and I guess that's kinda rare now a-days (not to mention the fact that I read the disclaimers that explain an options' limitations/expectations) lol.:laugh:

At any rate, thanks for taking the time to listen to your customer's opinions!

A great point, and one that I think many people share. I'll look and see if I can add such an option (basically a parcel post and Priority), and if so then that might be the solution is to offer parcel post to those who have the time to wait and are budget conscience.

I am happy to listen an oblige where I can, and I appreciate honest input from everyone. You guys are the reason we are here and we will NEVER lose sign of that.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I like actually shipping rates. First class and flat rate Priority is my choice. I do alot of shipping too and I send about everything Priority flat rate, it is great. One thing I would like to see offered is insurance, I would gladly pay for it so I know my stuff doesn't get lost without being covered. I just lost something in Albq and it is no where to be found, something I shipped out, so it does happen! LOL bnrk

DZ

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Littleton, CO
I like actually shipping rates. First class and flat rate Priority is my choice. I do alot of shipping too and I send about everything Priority flat rate, it is great. One thing I would like to see offered is Insurance, I would gladly pay for it so I know my stuff doesn't get lost without being covered. I just lost something in Albq and it is no where to be found, something I shipped out, so it does happen! LOL bnrk

It is funny you mention that I shipped something to the Bronx and well it has been out for delivery for almost 2 weeks now and has not been delivered. I didnt know insurance would cover that part. :) thank you for that info.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
It is funny you mention that I shipped something to the Bronx and well it has been out for delivery for almost 2 weeks now and has not been delivered. I didnt know insurance would cover that part. :) thank you for that info.

Yes if it gets lost and never delivered insurance covers that too! bnrk

Brewtus

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.highdesertvapes.com
I'm looking into adding a parcel post option to the shipping methods, I hope to have that available within the next week. I will also continue to use EMS for international orders. It's costs a LOT but is worth it for the fast delivery time and tracking options.

The insurance thing looks to be a bit harder... the cart software allows me to put a handling charge on there, but it would allpy to ALL orders which is not what we want.

Thanks for your input everyone. I am going to leave this open for a little while longer while we explore our options.

Brewtus

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.highdesertvapes.com
As it turns out, I was able to add the media mail option pretty easy with new the cart, so that is now available for use on High Desert Vapes. I think you'll find the rates for this shipping option to be much more economical. Now people have a choice between first class/priority and parcel post for heavier/larger order that don't need to arrive as quickly.

Thanks again everyone for all your input. You guy are the one's who help make us great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread