Shopping For A Mod (Provari) & Backup (???) That use the same battery type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusoya

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
Took the plunge and offered to buy a barely opened and used Darwin here on ECF, so provided that deal works out I'm set.

Amazing, amazing choice.

You are going to be blown away (or at least I hope you are).

I started out using PVs back in early-mid 2009 and gave them up right as 2010 started. Took up smoking again halfway through 2010 and a month ago ordered a Darwin as my first unit coming back and I've been off since.

It's truly amazing and consistent.

My favorite aspect probably is the battery life and how I don't have to lug around a ton of spare batteries and chargers. It's a truly awesome unit.

Brandon

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
That's what is great about vaping....personal preference is the key......if it is a ProVari, great, if its a Darwin, thats great also....vape on.......

As I said, the Vari is a good mod but your statement about the Darwin being a waste of money is incorrect and "slamming the Darwin" does not make the Vari any better, just says you like the Vari better.....

I spent a little time browsing Stownz posts...he's got good points, but is also a tough critic.

If the thing is more fragile than a Kindle or an iPod, then I'm kind of worried....

Mine is coming with an extender/adapter that can easily become a juice well with a simple rubber ring...and I don't drip very often anyways. I like those 'fail' CE2 cartos that burn through bottles and bottles of juice and survive dozens of cleanings with very little loss of flavor before finally going bad.

From looking at photos of the Darwin...I'd guess it's at least as tough as a Zippo lighter...and I got one that flipped and struck every single day for over 30 years and never needed repairs.

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I spent a little time browsing Stownz posts...he's got good points, but is also a tough critic.

If the thing is more fragile than a Kindle or an iPod, then I'm kind of worried....

Mine is coming with an extender/adapter that can easily become a juice well with a simple rubber ring...and I don't drip very often anyways. I like those 'fail' CE2 cartos that burn through bottles and bottles of juice and survive dozens of cleanings with very little loss of flavor before finally going bad.

From looking at photos of the Darwin...I'd guess it's at least as tough as a Zippo lighter...and I got one that flipped and struck every single day for over 30 years and never needed repairs.

All I can say is that I have thrown everything at the Darwin, and it seems to "take a licking and keeps on ticking".....

The ProVari and the Darwin are the "state of the art" PV's right now and they are two different technologies.....

The ProVari is a Variable Voltage Mod and the Darwin is a Variable Power Mod....big difference, thus personal preference comes into play......I personally love the Variable Power (wattage) technology (no other PV has this).....thus I can throw any atty or carto on the Darwin and it automatically adjusts the voltage to achieve the wattage that I have set.....can't get any easier than that.....

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
All I can say is that I have thrown everything at the Darwin, and it seems to "take a licking and keeps on ticking".....

The ProVari and the Darwin are the "state of the art" PV right now and they are two different technologies.....

The ProVari is a Variable Voltage Mod and the Darwin is a Variable Power Mod....big difference, thus personal preference comes into play......I personslly love the Variable Power (wattage) technology (no other PV has this).....thus I can throw any att or carto on the Darwin and it automatically adjusts the voltage to achieve the wattage that I have set.....can't get any easier than that.....

Awsome...what attracts me to this unit is the fact it's just one box and a USB cord and a 1000 cycle battery that won't need to be touched for probably 3 years. By then there will be so many advances in the PV world it might just go to the 'collector's safe' anyway.

I wasn't looking forward to yet another charger thinggy and more battery cells in yet another size to manage. I never have to take it apart and all that stuff to swap batteries.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Awsome...what attracts me to this unit is the fact it's just one box and a USB cord and a 1000 cycle battery that won't need to be touched for probably 3 years. By then there will be so many advances in the PV world it might just go to the 'collector's safe' anyway.

I wasn't looking forward to yet another charger thinggy and more battery cells in yet another size to manage. I never have to take it apart and all that stuff to swap batteries.

Of course we all vape at different rates, and I am probably a moderate vaper, so I charge the battery over night every 2 to three days.....and the battery level has not dropped below 1/2 for me.....I am sure others will have a different charging regiment, but this is mine.....

JTman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
SE Michigan
I haven't read all the comments but I just wanted to add that I LOVE my provari. Its been working 100% perfectly for oh about 3 months now. I kept one of my ego kits to use as a backup. I took it out for grins and giggles the other day and oh boy was it weak. Its funny how you get used to the higher voltages. I ordered a few LR atties to keep on hand (it does simulate HV vaping pretty well actually) and I figure that will be good enough for an emergency backup if needed. And get the extension if you can. I wish I would've got it but I dont have the funds for it plus 2 more batteries. Good luck and vape on!

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Had my provari for a long time now, always love it, and always will. Bought a darwin, just because of all the hype, sold it after a few weeks, it was too delicate, juice goes inside the unit, and a waste money. Used that money to buy me a 2nd provari (Chrome).

A Darwin just arrived at my doorstep. This thing is far from 'delicate'. I didn't realize the materials used in making this thing were this high grade. I'm impressed...

It's much lighter than I thought it would be...very solid...and easy to use.

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
Darwin is a rock solid mod.

First of all how do you get juice inside the unit if the brass cup is DETACHED from the unit itself!? Doesn't make any sense.
Now if you get juice inside the brass cup, that means you are overdripping.

And why all the bashing Stownz? Calling the Darwin a waste of money LMFAO. Didn't you sell it for what you paid for it? Again you make no sense.

Stop being such a fanboy of the products you own and bash all other products.

I for one think they're both decent devices, only difference is that the Darwin has more features and a better battery life. (Those are facts btw).

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
While I haven't tried it yet, I can see where a spill or juice accident could possibly get into a Darwin. On the other hand...if you wipe it right away at such an accident I don't see much threat of 'disaster'.

You'd have to SOAK the entire mod in a puddle of the stuff for it to really get in there mess things up.

I'm sure a Provari is very nice too...but I think it's way cool that the Darwin brings something different and unique to the table. It's not just a Copy Cat VV mod....it's entry into a new frontier of form factors and battery types.

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
Well a spill or juice accident can leak through the window or button on the ProVari as well.. Just saying..

The Darwin is one of a kind, you got that exactly right Credo. It's been said before and I'll say it again, Watts is what ultimately matters. For every .1 volt that the ProVari adjusts I can adjust the Darwin 4 times, and therefore have more settings to choose from (finding the sweet spot). The .1 watts difference might not matter at all, but its a fact that you simple have more options with the Darwin.

Nebulabrot has explained the difference quite well and I'd be happy to repost if needed.

The ProVari is one fine mod, and so is the Darwin. There's really no need to bash one product over the other. Let's not forget we are all Vapers; lets stop the nonsense. Let's Evolve :D

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Yes, I love that the Ohms Law calculator is built right in, and that I swap atties and not even think about all the math to get things farily close to my desired starting point for fine tuning....and so right....very fine tuning :)

Just one dial....easy as pie :)

VV is so worth it....I'm quickly learning that cartos and atties I hated before are now not only useable, but delectable! If my mix box unknown/cheap junk is this good now, I can't wait to try some of the choicier parts on this baby :)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
You prefer the Darwin for reasons well stated.
I prefer the Provari... I've had both.

All the extras that the Darwin has are a desirable thing... I'd love to have them, including the range of settings and Watts adjustment, and the USB port too.

I think it bears saying - I prefer the Provari because it is easier to use. The button is more comfortable to press, and it has a drip well. The juice will drip from the Darwin connector to the area of the watts adjustment dial unfortunately... whether that causes an internal problem, i don't know but that doesn't set well with me.

Well a spill or juice accident can leak through the window or button on the ProVari as well.. Just saying..

The Darwin is one of a kind, you got that exactly right Credo. It's been said before and I'll say it again, Watts is what ultimately matters. For every .1 volt that the ProVari adjusts I can adjust the Darwin 4 times, and therefore have more settings to choose from (finding the sweet spot). The .1 watts difference might not matter at all, but its a fact that you simple have more options with the Darwin.

Nebulabrot has explained the difference quite well and I'd be happy to repost if needed.

The ProVari is one fine mod, and so is the Darwin. There's really no need to bash one product over the other. Let's not forget we are all Vapers; lets stop the nonsense. Let's Evolve :D

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
You prefer the Darwin for reasons well stated.
I prefer the Provari... I've had both.

All the extras that the Darwin has are a desirable thing... I'd love to have them, including the range of settings and Watts adjustment, and the USB port too.

I think it bears saying - I prefer the Provari because it is easier to use. The button is more comfortable to press, and it has a drip well. The juice will drip from the Darwin connector to the area of the watts adjustment dial unfortunately... whether that causes an internal problem, i don't know but that doesn't set well with me.

Dripping now...I'm liking how I can position the swing arm different ways...at 90 degrees I can set it flat on the table, bed, car seat, etc...very ergonomic to use in either hand, and not worried about knocking it over. So far no over-dripping, but this way it would go to the table and not into the Darwin. Also I'm gonna look in the tool box and get a rubber washer or two....I have a little 510:510 extender (needed for ego-coned stuff like T and Mega atties, also serves as a precautionary thread protector for the native threads)...alas...a 15 cent drip well that doesn't add extra weight and goes away when I swap to cartos.

Last edited:

Krisb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
OH
Just for clarification on the juice issue... all mods have areas where juice can get in, no one has created a water proof mod as of yet. Although the Darwin does not have a juice well due to its design of the arm, it has an internal barrier preventing any juice from reaching the board and battery.

This argument over the Darwin/ provari is silly. Just because you are unsure of the internals, it does not warrant unfair bashing.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread