Short circuit: the basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadej

Jan 17, 2017
Slovenia
Lately I am gettting a lot of short circuits with the latest head on my vaporizer. It's a commercial built "Joytech eGo ONE Mega V2". The things is that when it's short cutted it just doesn't work (the light is not on, just the light flashes for 5 times); I cannot even turn it off in this state!

The only solution is (possibly 1st to wait for some time) to charge it into electicity. Now it suddenly starts to work (the light always, the vaporizer not always), and sometimes it's for a few smokes, sometimes for longer, but ussualy the short circuit will happens again.

My question is: what's causing short circuits in vaporizers (what, where? is the amount / consistency of e-fluid put in involved) and how to avoid them?

Thanks

Attachments

• Vaporizer_eGo_ONE_Mega_V2.png
    Vaporizer_eGo_ONE_Mega_V2.png
    105 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Tadej

Jan 17, 2017
Slovenia
maybe the problem is maybe in the switch itself ? any electronic\resistance problem

I don't think so. Now for example is working okay after almost half an hour. But to stress this again: this is a problem only with this heating head; I did have similar stuation or two in 2 months that I am using it.

The only true important thing is that I know at least that's reppairable, e.g. that xyou don't need to switch components etc.

Sorry, I don't know mcuh about electronic (resistance). Anyway thanks for quick reply...

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Tadej & welcome
As Mongo says it is likely caused by the coil and since those are store bought coils just try another to see if that cures it. If it is not made correctly there is a possibility that the wire coil itself is shorting against the coil's housing.

As long as you've tried a different atomizer on the mod and it works then that points to the problem being with the atomizer and not the mod.

There is another possibility and that would be in the connection of the atomizer (what you called a heating head) to the mod (the tube with the battery in it). If you look at the bottom of the atomizer you'll see a silver pin inside the 510 connection with the threads around it. Look inside the mod's connection and you'll see a pin (usually brass) in the middle of the female half of the threaded connection. The one pin is supposed to make contact with the other and nothing else.

Sometimes the pin in the atomizer's male connector does not extend past, or far enough past, the edge of the small threaded tube it resides in. When the two connectors are screwed tightly together the threaded tube of the atomizer will connect with the brass pin of the mod causing the short. I think the atomizer on your kit does allow for adjustment of its pin, it looks that way in the pic I looked at. It appears to have a place for a blade screwdriver inside the atomizer's base in order to allow the pin to turn. Turning it will adjust it in or out. If it allows for this then turning it clockwise, as seen from the screwdriver's point of view would get it to stick out more from the threaded tube it is in thus bringing it into contact with the mod's brass pin instead of its surrounding threaded barrel making the contact to the mod's pin. You would only need to turn it a small fraction to make the adjustment otherwise you'll loose the contact on the other end of it that it must make to the bottom of the coil, if you turn the pin to far.

If you can't adjust that pin or adjusting it dosen't work and replacing the coil didn't work then I'd suggest returning it to where ever you bought it for replacement.

Reactions: mongo74

Tadej

Jan 17, 2017
Slovenia
Not to sound condescendng, but did you press the power button 5 times quickly? It's possible it's not on or maybe you're turning it on and off without realizing it.

Of course not, I am not that new. :) <strike>Now I also discovered that "reseting" the atomizer (that thing that's in between battery and the tank and where you screw heating head) doesn't work. It says in the manual that I should hold the button 15 seconds but there's no indication that it was "reset".<strike> (I managed to reset it, at least that)

See what the light does when you press the fire button without a tank on.

Light goes completely dead until I charge it. Then if I am lucky the light will slowly lit 3 times (and not anymore!) I would be able to do a few (ten) puffs. If however the light lits 3 times and when I start vaping it starts blinking (10 times I think), this means that it's already warning me about short circuit "in progress" and won't work. Then I need to unplug the charger and plug it again and try...

P.S. Yeah, the head was first on my mind too. Because in case of previous one (the head on this device that's about 2 months old) this has happened only 2-3 times in more 2 months since I bought it. Now suddenly the situation worsened a lot. I really hope it's the bad seal, and replacing the head will hopefully work and it's also the cheapest option. :)

Last edited:

Tadej

Jan 17, 2017
Slovenia
Sometimes the pin in the atomizer's male connector does not extend past, or far enough past, the edge of the small threaded tube it resides in. When the two connectors are screwed tightly together the threaded tube of the atomizer will connect with the brass pin of the mod causing the short. I think the atomizer on your kit does allow for adjustment of its pin, it looks that way in the pic I looked at. It appears to have a place for a blade screwdriver inside the atomizer's base in order to allow the pin to turn. Turning it will adjust it in or out. If it allows for this then turning it clockwise, as seen from the screwdriver's point of view would get it to stick out more from the threaded tube it is in thus bringing it into contact with the mod's brass pin instead of its surrounding threaded barrel making the contact to the mod's pin. You would only need to turn it a small fraction to make the adjustment otherwise you'll loose the contact on the other end of it that it must make to the bottom of the coil, if you turn the pin to far.

I think my battery section is closed. I mean there're no wires, no screws that you could turn, just the hole where you screw atomizer on. Again I don't have a custom-build vaporizer... I have the "commercial type" bought in store - it works out of the box.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Light flashing 5 times indicates a short, could be caused by a bad head, too low of a resistance, dirty 510 connection, outside chance the pin in the power device’s 510 has been depressed by over tightening the delivery device (tank).
You can try gently lifting/prying the pin up.
When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned the 510 on both the power & delivery device?
Rubbing alcohol saturated q tip thoroughly scrub the 510 & dry with napkin, clean the threads on the delivery device also.
Have you tried a different delivery device?

When the light flashes 5 times indicating a short circuit it will flash 3 times before it attempts to reset itself, reset can take 10 seconds to a minute or 2.
When it flashes 3 times leave it alone don’t press the fire button for about 2 minutes.
10 flashes means you’ve depressed the fire button for more than 15 seconds, nothing else.
20 - 40 flashes = time to recharge

Ego one's are not known for their longevity, may be time for an upgrade.

Tadej

Jan 17, 2017
Slovenia
I replaced the head and first it was all looking good again (it worked without short circuit for like half an hour), then the same happened.. :(

I am still confused regarding short circuit and things that cause it. One user explained to me all the scenarios above, but I am curious... regarding power unit (i.e. the battery) short circuits I cannot do anything because it's sealed up. I mean it's a completely closed cylinder with no way to e.g. see wires, pins (one mentioned this), I cannot check it (look at inside) or clean it...

P.S. Luckily I have one other vaporizer (eGo AIO) which I'll use during this. I am going to the store tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tadej

Jan 17, 2017
Slovenia
Light flashing 5 times indicates a short, could be caused by a bad head, too low of a resistance, dirty 510 connection, outside chance the pin in the power device’s 510 has been depressed by over tightening the delivery device (tank).

I haven't yet, this vaporizer is only less than 2 months old. Rearding cleaning the 510? As far as I know I can only clean what gets screwed/unscrewed (tank and atomizer with a napkin, the head by napkin and blowing through it.

When the light flashes 5 times indicating a short circuit it will flash 3 times before it attempts to reset itself, reset can take 10 seconds to a minute or 2.
When it flashes 3 times leave it alone don’t press the fire button for about 2 minutes.
10 flashes means you’ve depressed the fire button for more than 15 seconds, nothing else.
20 - 40 flashes = time to recharge

In my case it's a bit different (I am writing this from the manual):

Power circuit before working: the light flashes 5 times then power-off.
Power circuit while working: the light flashes for 3 times before short circuit (reset)

Regarding 10 flashes in other case: it says if you press the button for 15 secs the atomizer will shut off the output & flash light 10 times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread