Shortness of breath and tightness in chest after vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeon

Aug 2, 2015
Hi all,

So I've been vaping for around 2 years now and have had no health issues with it at all. However, as of two days ago, every time I vape I get shortness of breath and a very unpleasant feeling of tightness in my chest. I also get very light headed (completely different to the feeling of a nicotine buzz; I feel as if I am about to faint). These sypmtoms last for about 5 hours after I use my vaporizer (I've recorded the time using my phone), thus, I ruled anxiety out. Also, I am no stranger to panic attacks and this feels completely different. I am using the Aspire Odyssey kit (consisting of the Pegassus box mod and Triton atomizer) at 25-30W and 6mg mixed PG and VG juice. Might I add that I have not recently changed juices.

P.S: I have asthma, but at no point over the span of two years did vaping interfere with it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rkb56

Oct 7, 2015
Hi all,

So I've been vaping for around 2 years now and have had no health issues with it at all. However, as of two days ago, every time I vape I get shortness of breath and a very unpleasant feeling of tightness in my chest. I also get very light headed (completely different to the feeling of a nicotine buzz; I feel as if I am about to faint). These sypmtoms last for about 5 hours after I use my vaporizer (I've recorded the time using my phone), thus, I ruled anxiety out. Also, I am no stranger to panic attacks and this feels completely different. I am using the Aspire Odyssey kit (consisting of the Pegassus box mod and Triton atomizer) at 25-30W and 6mg mixed PG and VG juice. Might I add that I have not recently changed juices.

P.S: I have asthma, but at no point over the span of two years did vaping interfere with it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Stop using the vaporizer and see your doctor. It's probably something unrelated such as angina (chest pains usually not life threatening) and vaping could be exasterbating those symptoms. Also without knowing your age, weight, and basic health history we can't rule out something more serious (heart attack). I've had patients, women in particular with mild pain in a tooth, we hook em up to an EKG and theyre having the big one. If you add age and basic health info I can help you much more.

Zeon

Aug 2, 2015
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll fill you in on the details. 19 year old male weighing around 70kg. Went to doctor last December complaining of extrasystolic heartbeat. Was administered stress test, ecography and Holter monitor test, no abnormalities found. Asthma with generally no symptomatology except in Autumn/Winter, when it flares up.

Going to a doctor is kind of tricky, as I live in the UK. Whenever I go to a clinic (and I've been to many different ones) they never take me seriously. Once I was suffering from an asthma attack and the doctor said "You're still standing, so it can't be that bad." Another time I went to complain about chest pains and the doctor said, "What do you want me to do? I don't have the equipment to run any tests". So yeah.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Of course you should see a doctor, nobody here can diagnose you over the internet.

That said, maybe go back to your lower watt equipment, what you were using before when you had no problems? And/or stop for a while, since you have pegged it to using your vaporizer.

Not much else can be offered here.

Last December was a long time ago, health pictures can change very quickly. Best to go have a full workup/physical done.

I get a yearly "wellness" exam every year whether I think I need it or not. It gives me a snapshot of where I"m "at" and goals i need to work on for the year. Complete blood profiles including lipids, mammogram, colorectal cancer screening, urine check, and of course the physical check by doctor involving the "hands on" stuff, checking glands, throat, ears, eyes, throat, heartbeat, etc.

Zeon

Aug 2, 2015
Of course you should see a doctor, nobody here can diagnose you over the internet.

That said, maybe go back to your lower watt equipment, what you were using before when you had no problems? And/or stop for a while, since you have pegged it to using your vaporizer.

Not much else can be offered here.

Last December was a long time ago, health pictures can change very quickly. Best to go have a full workup/physical done.

I get a yearly "wellness" exam every year whether I think I need it or not. It gives me a snapshot of where I"m "at" and goals i need to work on for the year. Complete blood profiles including lipids, mammogram, colorectal cancer screening, urine check, and of course the physical check by doctor involving the "hands on" stuff, checking glands, throat, ears, eyes, throat, heartbeat, etc.

I take it you don't live in the UK, otherwise good luck getting that.. that being said, thanks for the advice. I went to the doctor this morning and she did a very basic checkup (stethoscope, stress test, oxygen level tests) and she said that everything looked alright, although my oxygen levels were just a little bit low.

Rkb56

Oct 7, 2015
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll fill you in on the details. 19 year old male weighing around 70kg. Went to doctor last December complaining of extrasystolic heartbeat. Was administered stress test, ecography and Holter monitor test, no abnormalities found. Asthma with generally no symptomatology except in Autumn/Winter, when it flares up.

Going to a doctor is kind of tricky, as I live in the UK. Whenever I go to a clinic (and I've been to many different ones) they never take me seriously. Once I was suffering from an asthma attack and the doctor said "You're still standing, so it can't be that bad." Another time I went to complain about chest pains and the doctor said, "What do you want me to do? I don't have the equipment to run any tests". So yeah.
Like Racehorse said I can't give you an accurate diagnosis over the internet. I can go ahead and point you in the right direction though. You said your asthma flares around winter. Its getting closer to winter. The vaping may be exacerbating those asthmatic symptoms. Although it is not typically dangerous its still a good idea to lay off the vaping for a week or two and use it just to control the nicotine cravings and see if that will resolve the issue. The human body is a weird weird thing. I find it relatively hard to believe it could be a heart attack because well, your 19 and your still kickin' today. If I were a betting man I'd say the vaping is probably exacerbating your asthma symptoms. Health issues can change week to week or even hour to hour. You may have been fine for two years and all of the sudden you start get asthma flare ups.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
If this just started 2 days ago, yet you've been vaping for a couple of years couldn't it be a cold or flu starting? Or even a respiratory infection? I've been vaping for a little over 4 years and although I don't get sick as often as I did with smoking, I had the flu a few weeks back and it started out exactly as your symptoms. I'm over the flu now!

Of course, nobody here can diagnose you. You need to see a doctor and find out.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
The thing is, I have used my vape with respiratory infections and colds before and its nothing like this. I cant even use it to avoid withdrawals because the tiniest bit will cause my lungs to lock up. Ive eaten about 8 full meals today. The funny thing is I smoked a cigarette just fine..

You're smoking too? How do you know smoking isn't the problem? You say the feeling is just when vaping but you have no idea what underlying issue smoking is doing. I remember 4 years ago when I was just starting vaping but still had a cigarette for the first few weeks that my chest would hurt some and felt tight. Once I quit smoking completely that all went away. Your lungs aren't getting time to heal because you continue to smoke.

Reactions: Nimaz

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The thing is, I have used my vape with respiratory infections and colds before and its nothing like this. I cant even use it to avoid withdrawals because the tiniest bit will cause my lungs to lock up. Ive eaten about 8 full meals today. The funny thing is I smoked a cigarette just fine..

Could be that an allergy has developed, to some component of your vape -- have you changed flavors recently, or changed your PG/VG ratio? I get extreme chest tightness if I use more than 20% VG, but it doesn't make me feel faint, just can't breathe.

But the sudden onset, after 2 yrs of vaping, suggests either a newly-developed allergy, or a response to something new you've added.

Andria

Reactions: Pictor

Zeon

Aug 2, 2015
I've tried all of the recommendations you guys have given me, but nothing has helped. I just know that I still have these symptoms (the doctors don't know what they are) and they get much worse when I vape. At the moment I haven't vaped in 4 days (or used any other form of nicotine appart from the gum) and am feeling much better. When you think about it, inhaling a vasoconstrictor (as is nicotine) into your lungs doesn't make much sense when you have asthma. Not inhaling it is much the same story, as some of it makes the way into the lung anyway.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I've tried all of the recommendations you guys have given me, but nothing has helped. I just know that I still have these symptoms (the doctors don't know what they are) and they get much worse when I vape. At the moment I haven't vaped in 4 days (or used any other form of nicotine appart from the gum) and am feeling much better. When you think about it, inhaling a vasoconstrictor (as is nicotine) into your lungs doesn't make much sense when you have asthma. Not inhaling it is much the same story, as some of it makes the way into the lung anyway.

It seems that you are more about making a point than reaching for constructive advice. If you already knew that vaping was directly linked to your distress, why didn't you stopped in the first Place? If smoking makes you feel no arms as you said, just smoke and enjoy life. As for me, I use to feel these symptoms after smoking not when I am vaping, period.

Zeon

Aug 2, 2015
It seems that you are more about making a point than reaching for constructive advice. If you already knew that vaping was directly linked to your distress, why didn't you stopped in the first Place? If smoking makes you feel no arms as you said, just smoke and enjoy life. As for me, I use to feel these symptoms after smoking not when I am vaping, period.

Cool. I posted this looking for advice, but since no one seems to know what it is, I thought I'd just quit nicotine as is. That's all.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

Zeon, my brother had the same problem w/vaping. I got him into vaping and he stuck w/it just long enough to quit smoking, thank god....but really, it was not working for him, and I witnessed him getting more congested and hoarse and his airway was really acting up. He just switched over to nic lozenges and gum, and it worked to keep him off the cigs during that first year when he had to discontinue vaping.

That's all I can tell you, it is anecdotal, but understand there is no ONE way to do anything......even with dieting, everyone has a unique anatomy and pre existing biology and former damages etc. to deal with.

You might head over to the SNUS topic here, see if maybe you can find some other form of Harm REduction, at least if only temporarily.........and then try vaping again a few months from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread