Status
Not open for further replies.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
It seems people are affected differently, for me high% VG juice vaped regularly will cause shortness of breathe unlike anything I've ever experienced in 30 years of smoking cigs. It got to the point I could'nt sleep at night and it took about 2 weeks to subside once I went back to 70PG/30VG. I don''t know what causes it, on the surface it makes sense cause VG is thicker and produces more vapor, but some have the effect with PG, so, who knows.

jozef-3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Plano, Texas, United States
I purchased my e-Go C twist 4-5 days ago and within the 3rd or 4th day I noticed that I started having trouble catching my breathe/not getting enough oxygen. I smoke Marlboro Reds - about 4-5 a day normally, but I've only smoked 1 since I purchased my vape. I surfed for forums for a bit and some members have recommended higher PG and others have recommended higher VG. I'm not sure which direction to take. The eliquid I'm vaping right now is an 18mg product called Cell Block Four by "The Standard" - a creamy citrus flavour. I have about 4-5 sessions where I draw 5 times each. I read on a website where a tester guessed the ratio to be 50/50 or 30/70, but there is no known ratio for it.

I've never had trouble catching my breathe before when smoking cigarettes. The first day of vaping seemed just fine. I was chain-vaping and didn't notice it any breathing problems. I also read somewhere on the forums that the tissue in my lungs were coming back to life I thought my breathing may possibly be a reaction to the vapor after a few days of not smoking cigarettes.

Some background: I also have a history of Asthma when I was younger.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight into this? Thanks.

It's also possible that you might be using your e-cig incorrectly. Read this wonderful write up on inhalation techniques. I just read it and I'm going to start changing the way I use my e-cig and not lung inhale as much. I too have asthma...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/337017-inhalation-technique-e-cigarette.html

Greaser55

May 21, 2013
Missoula, MT, USA
So I imagine after 5 minutes you feel a shortness of breathe withe the PG, after 20 minutes it must be overkill. Do you think it could be the PG as well, seeing how after 5 minutes you experience a shortness of breathe?

Im trying to think of how to explain it.... The PG is pretty harsh for me. It makes me cough and kinda tightens my lungs up because of the irritation. It seems if I keep vaping through it, my lungs get used to it and it doesnt bother me anymore after about 5 minutes. The 50/50 juice with VG that I have tried doesnt do that to me though. It is easier for my lungs to take in and doesnt make them feel irritated. The other thing I said about getting nic sick comes with dizzyness. It almost feels like when you havent eaten anything and get low blood sugar, or kinda like a sugar rush, kinda disoriented and dizzy, then I get really hungry, just like with having low blood sugar. Im not diabetic or anything, but that happens to me sometimes, and I have made myself nic sick a couple times, Im still figuring this out, I have only been vaping for a week and a half. Im trying to figure out if I should actually UP my nic level to 24 so that I get a quicker sessation to my cravings, because with 18mg it seems to take forever for my craving to go away so I start power vaping and then overdo it and 5 mins later I start to feel wierd and dizzy and a little short of breath and stuff.

repulsivesalvation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Asheville, NC
Im bumping this back up for some updates. I go to the gym 4 days a week and lift heavy. I was doing legs and after a couple sets of squats I thought I was going to die. I could not catch my breath and it was scary. I vaped 100 % VG until yesterday and I got some different ratios which I vape at 6mg. I have to say that vaping makes me fee awful and I keep doing it because I dont want to smoke and I actually like vaping. Its become a hobby for me and I have a lot of nice stuff on the way that I may not be able to use. I think its wishful thinking at this point that it will get better, but I keep having problems. My heart rate is incredibly elevated as well. :(

You need to switch to 3mg or 0mg nicotine juice. What you are doing right now is the equivalent of popping 6 vicodine because you have a small sliver in your thumb. It's extreme overkill. You're slamming yourself with way more nicotine than you are used to. You smoke so few cigarettes a day anything higher than .3-.4% or 3-6mg is going to likely make you sick. The stock 1.2-1.8 % or 12-18mg that is recommended to people is meant for pack a day smokers. I was a pack a day smoker and I got the exact same effects you describe from vaping 48mg juice i bought online before I knew better.. You can still use vaping to stay away from cigs, just go online or nearest vape shop and get yourself some 0mg or 3mg all VG juice and you'll probably never suffer these problems again....

Also PG causes allergy issues in some people. My brother would actually get kanker sores in his mouth from PG juices and quit vaping. I got him to try again with VG and hes been fine ever since. I've heard a few rare cases of people having VG issues but PG allergy is way more common so i'd start with all VG juices first.

Last edited:
It seems people are affected differently, for me high% VG juice vaped regularly will cause shortness of breathe unlike anything I've ever experienced in 30 years of smoking cigs. It got to the point I could'nt sleep at night and it took about 2 weeks to subside once I went back to 70PG/30VG. I don''t know what causes it, on the surface it makes sense cause VG is thicker and produces more vapor, but some have the effect with PG, so, who knows.

Maybe you were burning your wicks? High end VG juices are usually diluted slightly with water so they wick better but many VG's aren't diluted at all and poor juice wicking can often lead to slowly burned wicks. VG is known to be much friendlier on the lungs so i'm wondering if maybe some burnt cotton might be responsible for the issues you were having. Just curious if you had considered that. It's entirely possible you are one of the rare cases of bad VG reaction but I can't help but wonder if there was a hidden culprit because most of the time its PG people have the issue with.

Last edited:

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
For me the first symptom of nic OD I notice is not nausea or turning green anymore, it's light-headedness and high pulse.

One thing I notice is that ordinary nic-juice doesn't give the same cues to your brain as cigarettes. A cigarette (actually, all tobacco) has alkaloids like anatabine that signals to your brain a sense of satisfaction. Anatabine is a tiny fraction of the alkaloid content of tobacco (most is nicotine), and in fact has been researched as a smoking cessation treatment (you can actually get it as a dietary supplement, currently). Sometimes people cue in to that (rather than to the nicotine) and it regulates their smoking. When pure nicotine e-juice, though, it's possible to chain vape and never get that signal to the brain.

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
Anything above 70% PG makes me wheeze and feel like my lungs have shrunk. It's only temporary though, and now I know I just stick to 70% or less (usually 50/50) and I'm fine now. As others have said, try a few different ratios and flavourings to see what works and what doesn't. Super strong citrus flavours do the exact same to me too.

CRKDMike

Verified Member
Feb 6, 2013
GTA, Ontario, Canada
I am in the exact same position as you REPULSIVE. For the past three nights, I have had attacks of high heart rate (even when I am laying down or sitting), light headedness, as well as clammy palms, and the inability to catch my breath. I also sometimes get chest pain. The thing is that I am vaping rarely, and when I do vape a bit after work, I use 3mg juice.

I too have been hooked on the hobby aspect of vaping like RDA's and coil building etc., and I also have invested a good chunk of cash into my hardware. I am really regretting it now because I think it is the vaping that is causing me these scary attacks. These attacks happen hours or sometimes day(s) after vaping, so I don't think it has anything to do with the nicotine content for my issue.

all my e-liquid is 50/50 pg/vg. I might try a couple more things like pg only or vg only, but if that doesn't work, you guys can look for my pimp-... hardware for sale in the exchange section...

humpstyles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am in the exact same position as you REPULSIVE. For the past three nights, I have had attacks of high heart rate (even when I am laying down or sitting), light headedness, as well as clammy palms, and the inability to catch my breath. I also sometimes get chest pain. The thing is that I am vaping rarely, and when I do vape a bit after work, I use 3mg juice.

I too have been hooked on the hobby aspect of vaping like RDA's and coil building etc., and I also have invested a good chunk of cash into my hardware. I am really regretting it now because I think it is the vaping that is causing me these scary attacks. These attacks happen hours or sometimes day(s) after vaping, so I don't think it has anything to do with the nicotine content for my issue.

all my e-liquid is 50/50 pg/vg. I might try a couple more things like pg only or vg only, but if that doesn't work, you guys can look for my pimp-... hardware for sale in the exchange section...

Sounds just like me, too, but I vape anything 65/35 VG heavy or higher at 3mg, and normally in a dripper. I'm 24, drink about 120oz of water a day, full body workouts twice a week, indoor soccer once a week, good diet, and am in overall good shape. It's horrible because I absolutely love vaping and wish I could vape away all day like most people who advertise it do.

Now all these flavoring scares make me look way too far into things and get "WebMD syndrome" where you research your headache and eventually believe you have brain cancer. Now that it's out in the open that Diacetyl and Acetoin (which produces diacetyl in smaller amounts) are in 75% of all ejuices, and even in juices that claim to be diacetyl-free, I have to start to wonder if I'm developing this famed "popcorn lung". I honestly doubt it that I am, but that's how I feel, if that makes any sense, as my lung capacity feels very reduced after vaping certain liquids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread