Should a biginner get thesed Fasttech Dripping RBA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2010
Montana
I planning on getting a vamo from fasttech and also wanted some rebuildable attys for dripping. I haven't had an rba before but I want to spend as little money as possible so I am considering these two: $5.56 SM20 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer for Empire KeCig K100 - blue / 2.4 and $6.14 V5 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer - 1.0

How hard are these to work with for a beginner? should I expect to have to replace the atomizers and where do i get spare parts for these, other than wicks and wires?

I got two of the k100 RBA from fasttech. They are very easy to set up and perfect for a beginner. The quality of the material is fairly good for the price as well. You shouldn't need any replacement parts that I can think of. But definitely get yourself some quality wick and wire. The prebuilt coils on them aren't too bad but it won't be long before you want to replace them.

The top cap and drip tip do fit really tight so watch that you don't damage the o rings by lubing them with e liquid before reassemble. I don't remember if mine came with spares. The only other part that might possibly get damaged is the insulator. Just make sure your coil doesn't rest on or too close and it should last a good while.

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
This thread is getting too damned complex for the guy's request....

OP, Just get a IGO-L, it's one of the most simple RDA set ups ever. You'll be able to test your ability to rebuild on it and if you don't like it, oh well it was less than $15. They're extremely versatile and they CAN run dual coils (or more, if you really wanted to).

Learn how to set up a single coil first THEN move onto a setup specifically made for dual coils, or just stick to the IGO-L and drill a second hole, it's that simple.

As far as Genesis tanks go, which I should NOT mention since you specifically asked about a RDA. The RSST is the easiest to set up, ONLY because of the insulated wick hole and the way the tank is set up. However, and I say however in a way which practically means nothing. Even though the AGA-T is uglier, it will be the same vape experience as a RSST and you will learn how to setup Genesis setups better, because the RSST will hold your hand and spoonfeed you the whole time.

When setting up an AGA-T, or any other genny, you do 2 things differently from the RSST; after wrapping the mesh wick, you take some tweezers and pull the wick up a bit higher and then you do shorter pulses to the power button to get the coil firing evenly.

I have been around the higher end atomizers and G-tanks, all I will say is this. Setups like the Foggatti and the Kayfun are harder if not the same as setting up any other similar setups, they just cost $225 more than the lower end ones.

With that said, I am moving up from my IGO-L setups after mastering them and then spoiling myself with higher end stuff.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Just out of curiousity, Jimi D., (fine, and to make my point), if it were your first ever RBA, would you immediately know why your vape was hot, heavy on the TH, and not producing much clouds? Would you know what size drill bit to order to amend the situation?
Absolutely not brother ! Man, I had hell wrapping my first coil when I first started. :D

Leal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2010
Montana
Thanks Leal for addressing a specific model I asked about. I started leaning toward the other model but was afraid of the dual coils. Pretty sure i'll go with the K100 now. great advice.

You're welcome Indy. If you find you like the k100 A good step up is the IGO L. The set up is exactly the same but the base is bigger and recessed so more drips and longer vaping time.

Also the k100 coil is wrapped on a super short wick. When I rebuild them I leave enough silica to curve along the base. I can get about five to six drops and have no leaking or dry hits.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I love small rebuildable drippers, and use them more than anything. The K100 is another ERA clone that goes by many other names: Squid, Phoenix V4, Squid, Mini RDA, and from Sun-Vapers they have the Cutie and Cheapie for only $4.79. I have the K100 that the OP linked to, and the two from Sun-Vapers. They all have minor differences, the biggest being the posts. The Cheapie has hex screws (and comes with SS drip tip) and the Cutie has thumb screws. They both have holes in the posts. The K100 has philips screws, no holes in posts, and comes with the pictured drip tip.

They all work great, easy to set up, perfect for micro coils. For the cost it's almost like buying a drip tip and getting a free RBA lol. The only odd thing about the K100 is the odd insulator they have for the positive post, it's huge and burns easily. I just cut it off to where it's at the base of the dripper and it is recessed. The 2 Phoenix clones I got from FastTech on the other hand are terrible, the ohms wonder if you look at them funny. All the ERA clones are solid with no wondering ohms.

If you end up liking the small drippers, my favorite are the IGO-S and the A6 from EmpireMods.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
i got th k100 in my cart, but then saw a similar new item, that among other things is half the weight $5.40 RDA Mini Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer (1.2mL) - silver / 1.0

That's the same as the Cheapie from Sun-Vapers for $4.79. Just about exactly the same as the K100. It does have holes in the posts which is nice, but the hex screws are tiny and strip easy. The K100 has philips screws which I like better, but no holes in the posts. Honestly, for that price I'd suggest getting them both, they both come with great metal drip tips.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
another difference is it says 1.0 omh, the other 1s 2.4, which is more like what i am accustomed to

You can't go by the specifications and details FastTech gives. It doesn't really matter what the original coils resistance is anyways since they almost always suck until you rebuild it, but they both will be in the 2+ ohm range when you get it. Also, in the details they are describing the original Smoktech RDA, not the Mini RDA. If you click on "discussions" on the listing you'll see it's been posted they have the wrong details.

The only difference of importance between the 2 is one has hex screws and holes in the posts and the other has philips screws without holes.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
Thanks to everyone who contributed to my decision and more important, the guidance on what to do with them when I get them. Last night I ordered $5.56 SM20 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer for Empire KeCig K100 - black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping and $5.40 RDA Mini Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer (1.2mL) - silver / 1.0

I also go some cotton wick to back up the ceramic wicks I got at vapestock and some wire and of course the vamo kit, drip tips etc. What a bargain!

Thanks again everyone

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
I hope you don't mind my hijacking your thread, Indy. But I'm an RBA nube and hesitate to start a new thread over this, if only because that would be like wearing a sandwich board advertising the fact that I'm a .....: I've been using an Igo-L with pre-oxidized, pre-coiled wire & wick, something I suppose to be well below the standards of a veteran RBAer, but it works.

In any event, I've seen a couple of YouTube videos in which Kanthal A1 wire was used straight off the spool--no blowtorch involved. Is it just possible that Kanthal can be used in that manner, without the baptism in fire? That's been the main thing causing me to hold RBAs at arm's length.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I hope you don't mind my hijacking your thread, Indy. But I'm an RBA nube and hesitate to start a new thread over this, if only because that would be like wearing a sandwich board advertising the fact that I'm a .....: I've been using an Igo-L with pre-oxidized, pre-coiled wire & wick, something I suppose to be well below the standards of a veteran RBAer, but it works.

In any event, I've seen a couple of YouTube videos in which Kanthal A1 wire was used straight off the spool--no blowtorch involved. Is it just possible that Kanthal can be used in that manner, without the baptism in fire? That's been the main thing causing me to hold RBAs at arm's length.

I dont think i have ever torched the wire first, in 1 1/2 years now, i take a piece off the spool wrap a coil or wick and do a couple quick fires then test the device with juice. only time i have seen that done really is to stiffen kanthal or preflavor nichrome.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
You are welcome to keep the thread going, I'll be watching for more tips.

Thanks, Indy. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I dont think i have ever torched the wire first, in 1 1/2 years now, i take a piece off the spool wrap a coil or wick and do a couple quick fires then test the device with juice. only time i have seen that done really is to stiffen kanthal or preflavor nichrome.

On the "...couple of quick fires," presumably you mean dry. Is there ever a problem with singing the wick and getting that dreaded burnt flavor thereafter?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
"...couple of quick fires," presumably you mean dry. Is there ever a problem with singing the wick and getting that dreaded burnt flavor thereafter?

no and i fire it but not long just quick enough to see if the coil works properly or to get a resistance reading. it takes a lot to actually burn silica past a little browning. if it singed or burned we couldnt dry burn clearo heads and clean them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread