FDA Should E-Cigarettes be regulated like a medicine? Such as nicotine patch, gums and inhalers

Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
What it be a good thing? Having no regulations the way things are now could put public health at risk.

I wish I could order up some 100mg nic pg at the pharmacy just like I can order nicotine gum and patches at the pharmacy.

But that's not the topic is it? nicotine is not 'e-cigarette'.

An ecig is not a medicine, it is a device.
I suppose it is more akin to an inhaler.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
No. Inhibiting vaping in any fashion and making it more difficult for a smoker to make the switch is the health risk.
If the FDA regulates vaping the way they announced they intended to, when they released that info last year, it would undoubtably be a much bigger health threat than not regulating it at all.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I think it's far worse for public health if people couldn't buy their vape products. Imagine if the majority of vapers went back to smoking? That's more of a health hazard.

How would the FDA regulating Vaping be any help in protecting the public? Just because the FDA regulates something under their authority doesn't mean it's going to be safer. Look at cigarettes. They regulate those and they aren't that safe. They also regulate drugs. They approved all sorts of drugs that have killed many then it gets taken off the market and you see all those commercials with lawyers asking consumers if they've taken this or that drug because they have a suit.

just because the FDA regulates something doesn't mean it's safe.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    1. You are a statist if assume anything at all needs to be regulated without great reason... which generally will involve actions that cause harm to others. The US Government's record in this area is very poor, with the largest prison population in the world. If there are appropriate ways to regulate vaping (e.g. with a light touch), they will require innovation because they have never been tried before.

2. There is no congressionally-passed laws that provide for anything like you describe. The current laws require impossible restrictions if the FDA "deems" vaping is under its jurisdiction. Therefore, the correct action by the FDA would be to refuse to deem it until appropiate laws are in place.

3. You seem to think there is no regulation. Fraud is illegal, and vaping is still a legal market so the law can be applied. Once the market goes underground, then it will be truly unregulated.

nicnik

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 20, 2015
    Illinois, USA
    just because the FDA regulates something doesn't mean it's safe.
    Just because something's safe, doesn't mean the FDA won't regulate it.

Just because the FDA regulates something, doesn't mean they do it for safety's sake.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I was thinking tonight on my drive home about how caffeine is in a few medications, Midol and Excedrin come to mind. But never have I heard of anyone thinking of caffeine as a medical product, but there it is, an ingredient in pain relievers. So caffeine obviously has medicinal properties. The leap from enjoyable and recreational to medicinal would be a small one in this case, at least if we're going to use the logic that if something can be used to treat a condition then it's medicinal.

So, OP shall we regulate caffeine like a medicine as well? No? Why not? Wouldn't it be considered a risk to not deem caffeine a medical product and make it prescription only? Absurd right?

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Regulating what can be sold to the public for eating, drinking, etc. has been the norm for a while. Sale of unhealthy food (high fat for instance) is allowed but legally required labeling is supposed to list ingrediants, percent of fat, etc. They don't need to regulate DIY for the same reasons they don't regulate what we cook at home for personal consumption. They don't need to regulate our devices for the same reasons they don't regulate the things we use for cooking and eating. If they try to regulate those things it's politics, not public health. When you want to serve food to the general pubic things change.

I buy devices mail order and mix at home. If there isn't much premix to buy it won't effect me but most of the vape shops will disappear because that's the only thing that makes money.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2014
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Regulating what can be sold to the public for eating, drinking, etc. has been the norm for a while. Sale of unhealthy food (high fat for instance) is allowed but legally required labeling is supposed to list ingrediants, percent of fat, etc. They don't need to regulate DIY for the same reasons they don't regulate what we cook at home for personal consumption. They don't need to regulate our devices for the same reasons they don't regulate the things we use for cooking and eating. When you want to serve food to the general pubic things change.

I buy devices mail order and mix at home. If there isn't much premix to buy it won't effect me but most of the vape shops will disappear because that's the only thing that makes money.

I totally agree!

Think about traditional cigarettes! They regulate those but you don't see the ingredients listed on the pack. It would take a much larger area than a pack to list all those toxins. All they do is put a little surgeon general's warning.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread