should the vapor make me cough violently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrb

Oct 24, 2010
portland or
I just recieved my first e-cigarette yesterday.

It is a 4072 pen model which i am very impressed with!

I ordered with it, some different flavors: orange, vanilla, cherry and almond. (PG)

I cannot inhale the last three flavors without extreme coughing. definitely not a "mellow" inhale that i am used to with cigarettes. It hits my throat and I imediately cough and gag uncontrollably. whew!

The orange does the same thing, but not quite as extreme if I am carefull not to inhale to quickly and try to "mix" the vapor in my mouth with fresh air before inhaling... but not a lot of vapor action on exhale. This is frustrating.

It is not that it is making my throat sore... i cough and gag on contact with my throat. It reminds me of when i was a kid trying to smoke dried grass shutes.

Question: Is this normal? Are there flavors which are more 'smooth' than others? is there anything i can do to minimize these affects?

also, I notice that the flavors are not what i expected. the fruit flavors i thought would be "fruity, sweet", like candy. Instead i find it is much like flavored tabacco. (like when i used to smoke a pipe, I did not care for the 'flavored' tabaccos)

Are there any flavors that are truly Candy tasting? bubblegum?

Thanks for any responses
have a great day!

caraz

Oct 4, 2010
Seattle
I was a pack and a half a day smoker, my first experience with ecigs was very similar. It took around a day to get accustom to inhaling vapor. Be patient and stick with it, it will be worth it in the end.
I have only been vaping for two weeks, so I cannot comment on flavors yet as I am still experimenting myself.

Good luck, I hope this helps some.
I'm sure some of the more veteran vapers will offer some great advice.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Hi, mrb! It sounds like your juice is 100% PG, which is going to give you one hell of a strong TH. That's probably why you're coughing. I'm not sure where you bought your juice, but I'm going to recommend VaporBomb. They have a bubblegum flavor (I haven't tried it), and lots of tasty fruit flavors that don't have a tobacco undertone. Check out the Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble! It's fantastic!

If you buy juice with a PG/VG mix, the VG is definitely going to mellow things out and you won't get such a powerful TH.

mrb

Oct 24, 2010
portland or
thanks for your input...

I bought from the pvshop out of sparks nevada i think...

so, the vegtable glycerin will make things smoother?
maybe if i cut it with some vg that will make a difference?

I will definitely check out vaporbomb. I didn't see any of those other flavors at pvshop. disappointing, but figured i better make the most out of the free shipping. I got extra batteries and atomizers too.

the mention of the blueberry makes my mouth water. is it really, sweet, like it sounds? sure sounds good.

thank you so much for your opinion everyone

kellogg

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2010
houston tx
Welcome to ECF! The higher the pg level is the stronger the throat hit. High levels of nicotine will cause the throat hit to be higher, also.

Higher levels of vg will give you more vapor.

There are lots of good vendors here that have great tasting liquid. You may want to order small bottles from several different ones to find what you like.

FireHorse

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Wyoming, USA
Taking long, slow draws will help as well. If you're trying to inhale the vapor like you do a cigarette, that will cause you to cough. If you find it hard at first to take long draws, start with shorter ones but still draw slowly. You have to get your throat and lungs to adjust to inhaling vapor instead of burning tobacco.

And, drink lots of water when vaping! Your throat could be dried out from the vaping which is another reason for the coughing.

As your taste buds start to rebuild, you'll find things don't taste like you're used to so give your body time to readjust to being able to smell and taste things again.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
mrb, the next time you buy some juice I'd suggest getting a couple in a 50PG/50VG mix and maybe a couple in a 60PG/40VG mix. Just buy 5ml bottles in different flavors (definitely try the Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble if you buy from VB) I vape both mixes that I suggested and really like both. I suggest it because it'll give you a good starting point, and the chances are you won't end up wasting a bottle because you just aren't able to vape it.

asti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2010
TX. USA
Hey there mrb!
I see you have smoked a pipe - its pretty much the same kind of draw <after the first pull> on the pipe...
VG will add some smoothness, I'm guessing a good blend is like 70/30 to 60/40 PG / VG respectively for a premixed juice, to enable for you to retain both vapor, TH and experience. All that being said some people simply can't use PG and go to VG - any allergies?
the water and fluids is essential and you might not even feel thirsty until you start drinking something (like myself) then its like OH WOW!
Welcome to the forum!

mrb

Oct 24, 2010
portland or
thank you for the additional resources.

yes, i have always drawn the smoke into my mouth, and then pull it into my lungs... still really harsh..

I will try some of the pg/vg mixes... I couldn't find the blueberry cinnamon stuff at vapor bomb... maybe i'm looking in the wrong place.

I did find a huge selection of flavors and options at vapor renu.

i'd probably mess it up if i added vg to my current flavors huh?

I'll check out the recipies forum later, but i'll stick to purchasing for now...

thanks everyone.

asti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2010
TX. USA
Yes you can add VG to the carts to mellow it, keep in mine this will also weaken the flavor and nic strength some, what is your current level of nic? If you have a higher mg like 24 that might be the trouble as well...

There are literally 100's of vendors with juice, there is a juice section here on the forum - you can shop 'til you drop, LOL

Maeve

Oct 11, 2010
WNC
I totally coughed like a fool when I started smoking, and just kept trucking, lol.

You've already gotten some great advice. I second trying different mixes. Samples will be great for that. The TH on a 80/20 mix is too much for me. I just need more VG. What I've read though says VG can diminish the flavor. I have a mini DIY kit coming and I'm going to play with the PG/VG percentages and see what works for me.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I totally coughed like a fool when I started smoking, and just kept trucking, lol.

You've already gotten some great advice. I second trying different mixes. Samples will be great for that. The TH on a 80/20 mix is too much for me. I just need more VG. What I've read though says VG can diminish the flavor. I have a mini DIY kit coming and I'm going to play with the PG/VG percentages and see what works for me.

VG will diminish the flavor of pre-mixed juices when you add more yourself. I add about 33% Glycerin (from Walmart) and don't notice any decrease in flavor, especially when the juices I've ordered from online stores have steeped for a week or so. Some juices need to sit for a while in order to taste the full flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread