Should we vape juices that eat through plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Some say that this Questions is Backwards.

Perhaps a better question, IMO, would be: Should we use Plastics that e-Liquids will Degrade?

I'm not a Big Fan of Polycarbonate. It isn't so much that it will Crack, if in the Presences of Certain Flavorings. Or that there is a better Material, Polypropylene.

My main concern is that BPA could leach into an e-liquid if certain Polycarbonate Plastics are used for Tanks/Clearos.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
No they are far more delicate and fragile than plastic.

Lungs are DEFINITELY more delicate and fragile than metal, but I assume you put water in your body, no? Like I said before, water corrodes metal, but that doesn't mean that the same chemical reaction will happen with all things.

I don't think the issue is that some juices melt plastic, but that those juices ought not be in plastic in the first place; and, if possessing a juice that melts plastic and has been stored in plastic, that juice should be discarded, but not seen as a lung-melter--it's just acidic. Lemons, of course, can behave similarly with certain plastics.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

Perhaps a better question, IMO, would be: Should we use Plastics that e-Liquids will Degrade?

Over the last couple months I have begun transferring all liquids in cobalt glass that I intend on keeping long term. (I just like the look of cobalt, though I am fine with clear or amber glass). Several vendors have been cool enough to send me their stickers for the bottles I ordered so I can transfer them into glass and still have their branding; though, some vendors stickers come right off and can be reapplied.

Some juices eat plastic very quickly, but I have seen non-acidic juices damage LDPE bottles after a long time. What's worse is when you can taste the effects of leaching. :facepalm:

While I am a bigger fan of PET (PTE) bottles over soft LDPE bottles, there is some evidence that shows PET having issues with leaching in the long term and if in hot temperatures. My solution is to use glass for all liquids I plan on keeping, and small 3 or 5 mL PET bottles for short term/travel.

For anyone interested in this topic, mwa102464 started a really informative thread on this last year: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...scussion/296537-plastic-bottles-e-liquid.html That thread is about all eliquid and storage in plastic, not just acidic liquid.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011

I'm not a Big Fan of Polycarbonate. It isn't so much that it will Crack, if in the Presences of Certain Flavorings. Or that there is a better Material, Polypropylene.

My main concern is that BPA could leach into an e-Liquid if certain Polycarbonate Plastics are used for Tanks/Clearos.

True-

I use polypropylene or glass and transfer all my liquid to glass bottles.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I have a bottle of High caliber cinnabun, had it for about 4-5 months now and the dropper top is completely melted. Just noticed it yesterday.

Yeah, there was a time that I was really bothered by this as I vaped juice (Ms.T's Cinnamon Candy) that melted plastic. The problem was that after awhile when I vaped it, my chest started hurting and I felt, I dunno, just kinda nasty. I stopped vaping that juice and those types, but I realize now that the problem may not have been the juice itself, but that I was vaping juice infused with melted plastic. Oh, and at that time I used plastic drip tips--it melted those too, but I was none the wiser until after vaping damned near a 10 mL.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have a bottle of High caliber cinnabun, had it for about 4-5 months now and the dropper top is completely melted. Just noticed it yesterday.

This is why I Stopped using Cinnamon Flavored e-Liquids.

That and I have read Too Many posts about people having Rapid Tooth Decay who never had any Problems before.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... The problem was that after awhile when I vaped it, my chest started hurting and I felt, I dunno, just kinda nasty. I stopped vaping that juice and those types, but I realize now that the problem may not have been the juice itself, but that I was vaping juice infused with melted plastic. ....

I had Similar Reactions to Oil Based Flavorings.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Lungs are DEFINITELY more delicate and fragile than metal, but I assume you put water in your body, no? Like I said before, water corrodes metal, but that doesn't mean that the same chemical reaction will happen with all things.

I don't think the issue is that some juices melt plastic, but that those juices ought not be in plastic in the first place; and, if possessing a juice that melts plastic and has been stored in plastic, that juice should be discarded, but not seen as a lung-melter--it's just acidic. Lemons, of course, can behave similarly with certain plastics.

Explained well.

HeavyUser

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
NewYork
I agree it was explained well. But you can't really compare drinking water to vaping an acidic substance. You can eat an orange and be ok right? But what happens when you start to vape orange juice on a daily basis. Will the acid start to corrode the enamel on your teeth, will it damage your lungs. The honest answer is you or I do not know. No one seems to acknowledge that, everyone seems to have an answer. Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread