Jun 2, 2013
Wylie, TX
001 (2).jpg 002.jpg

Just finished.

Mercurial_One1

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The thing is any one of you can make most of those wood mod holders. Sand paper, stain or some clear coat, drill with hole saws, wood, exotic or otherwise, saw if you want to cut a shape...

And if you have the tools it would literally just cost you the wood and time.

You know, this assumes a lot of things:

1. That I have wood
2. That I can measure
3. That I have a saw
4. That I have a drill
5. That it would be better to acquire all of the above *plus* the skill to use them than to simply pay a talented guy $40 or so to do it for me.

:)

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
You know, this assumes a lot of things:

1. That I have wood
2. That I can measure
3. That I have a saw
4. That I have a drill
5. That it would be better to acquire all of the above *plus* the skill to use them than to simply pay a talented guy $40 or so to do it for me.

:)

Yep! It never ceases to amaze me that people who have skills just think, "Well, anyone can do it themselves, it's so easy! Why would they pay me to do it for them?" Well, because of the reasons quoted above.

If you have a skill that comes easy to you, and you love doing it, please realize that there are many of us who would pay you to exercise it!

It's the reason I pay someone to do my yard work. I know it's easy, and it would be cheaper to do it myself.
It's the reason I buy e-juice from a vendor instead of DIY. I know it would be cheaper to DIY, and it sounds like it would be easy.

It's the reason I am currently translating foreign language literature for myself. Because THAT's how I would rather spend my time and one of the ways I entertain myself. Would some people pay to read my translation when I'm done instead of doing it themselves? Maybe. They would probably enjoy the end product of my efforts, but would never take the time to produce it themselves. Because they are too busy woodworking and gardening!

ladygadget

May 23, 2013
California Delta
Forstner bits and a drill press. Sand paper, a 50/50 mix of shellac and denatured alcohol. Mahongany blocks are a good start. You can get some really great scrap blocks from a wood supplier too. And a little patience goes a long way.

hmm, I have those things, maybe I should think about it! :)

I'm a noob, but I made this quickly last weekend. I need to add some finish and polish it. Now I wish I still had my wood lathe...

caddy.jpg

Last edited:

genghishahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
vapestandstage1.jpg

It's still early in the build, but this is where I'm at so far. I'm gonna be drilling a series of holes in front of the mods (on the ledge) to accept the 510 connections from my delivery devices. I really don't have the tools to really do this right, but I'm gonna make it work. Next step is getting the surfaces flush for the ebony veneer I've got coming. That and some purple felt to line the holes. I may wind up making a version 2 (assuming this one goes well), to apply some of the things I've learned so far with this one. Will update with the end result in the next week or so.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I'm working on a new block today. I'm butcher blocking some seasoned heart pine and should be finished sometime later this evening.

You know, I really wish Lowes or Home Depot sold beer. That way, I could get everything I need to screw up a perfectly good project with one stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread