Show me your home made vape storage pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely Raven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
Here are a few stands I made based on a design another member on the forum was making. You know what they say "Imitation is the best form of flattery." :toast: Most of these pictures were provided by my buddies, who now own the stands..

View attachment 229534 View attachment 229535 View attachment 229536 View attachment 229537 View attachment 229538

You and I have a very similar woodworking style. I made some stands for friends that look almost exactly like yours.

I have to ask though, what are you using for the 510 threaded ports? I've not taken the time to figure out what threading that is, though when I do I'm probably going to add ports like you did on the darker stand.

genghishahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
pvstand2.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality--cell phone pic :p

Here it is with the ebony veneer and about 6 coats of polyurethane. This is right after a sanding. I'm trying to build up the poly to where the surface is smooth before I put on a finishing coat and wet sand it. And then the felt and gold 510 connectors :D

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I've been making some vape stands for friends (they don't like me showing off stuff I custom make for them), and had time and wood enough left over to make this - It's solid Lyptus and Purple Heart.

p1738011283-5.jpg

4 coats of Generals Arm R Seal - hand rubbed. Hand brushed the insides of the cutouts to make sure everything was well protected from juice.

I love the two-tone, very nice!

RA06

Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I've been making some vape stands for friends (they don't like me showing off stuff I custom make for them), and had time and wood enough left over to make this - It's solid Lyptus and Purple Heart.

p1738011283-5.jpg

4 coats of Generals Arm R Seal - hand rubbed. Hand brushed the insides of the cutouts to make sure everything was well protected from juice.

I really like the keyhole groove you added to the holder. Very clever way to store small atomizer heads!

RA06

Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
You and I have a very similar woodworking style. I made some stands for friends that look almost exactly like yours.

I have to ask though, what are you using for the 510 threaded ports? I've not taken the time to figure out what threading that is, though when I do I'm probably going to add ports like you did on the darker stand.

Thanks for your comments my fellow woodworker! I looked everywhere for threaded nuts that would fit a 510 connection and couldn't find anything in the hardware stores around me. That's when I found 510 sealed battery connectors on Madvapes.com. They are meant for DIY mods, but like most things, I used them for something they were not intended for.. :laugh: They sell them in both gold and silver colors as well.

• Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Wow i love all the hard wood. I have been wanting to make a nice stand myself but dont realy have the time. I wouod have to save the program running on my bridgeport miller and pull the current vice setup off and put the regular aluminum jaw vice on and free hand mill some hardwood. Pita to set everything back up for the current parts i am running. I will have to give it a go when this parts run is done and the milling machine is free for a day. Mabey i will make one from polished aluminum? Or brass and wood? Even aluminum with wood inlay. Ok the sketches are coming into my mind now lol

Lonely Raven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
Man, I really like all of these solid wood stands. I'm using veneer because I bought hole drills--they kinda chewed up the area around the holes a bit :( I wish I would have known about forstner bits sooner...

Personally I find veneer harder to work with! I'm more impressed with that! Besides, you can get some amazing looking burls and flames and whatnot and make something 10X better looking than I could afford with solid wood. I have piles of veneer that I'm afraid to use since I suck at veneering.

RA06

Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Personally I find veneer harder to work with! I'm more impressed with that! Besides, you can get some amazing looking burls and flames and whatnot and make something 10X better looking than I could afford with solid wood. I have piles of veneer that I'm afraid to use since I suck at veneering.

I would agree that veneering is an art. Getting the veneer grain to match all around the work piece and cutting the edges exactly right is not easy. I want to try inlays as well. It looks simpler than veneering and can add a classy touch to the stands.

Lonely Raven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
I would agree that veneering is an art. Getting the veneer grain to match all around the work piece and cutting the edges exactly right is not easy. I want to try inlays as well. It looks simpler than veneering and can add a classy touch to the stands.

Huge props to you if you can get into Inlays as well!

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Wow i love all the hard wood. I have been wanting to make a nice stand myself but dont realy have the time. I wouod have to save the program running on my bridgeport miller and pull the current vice setup off and put the regular aluminum jaw vice on and free hand mill some hardwood. Pita to set everything back up for the current parts i am running. I will have to give it a go when this parts run is done and the milling machine is free for a day. Mabey i will make one from polished aluminum? Or brass and wood? Even aluminum with wood inlay. Ok the sketches are coming into my mind now lol

I've done some of my woodwork by hand. Whatcha need all those power tools for, anyway? Those things are dangerous, I tell you.

I was going to put this on eBay. But after finishing it with beeswax and letting that soak into the fibers, the tactile feel of it is just too much. I can't part with it...

zaIyQ1A.jpg

I have some seasoned red oak that I salvaged from a house destroyed by Hurricane Ivan in 2004. I think I'm gonna do either a herringbone or parquet pattern with it. Seasoned wood is as satisfying to work with as being loved by a mature woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread