show off your mech! homebuilt mods only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Here are some semi-mechanical unregulated mods that I built over the past week:
Ay4qFPZ.jpg
RjM91BN.jpg
oYAnZ2K.jpg
HdwYW7q.jpg
bXWBkGY.jpg

Reactions: thetrucker

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Why so many VV and VW mods?...

No kidding, so much for show off your "mech" :D...finally, something not in a Hammond box...

Podunk, that looks awesome, that's some "mad scientist" engineering in the Victorian tradition, well done!

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
A true mech without any wires requires metal machining tools to manufacture. I wasn't aware that many people have these in their homes.

It doesn't appear that Podunk used any special tools?...

I'm not sure I agree with that limitation of a "true mech"...mech. is obviously short for mechanical, or the circuit is completed using a mechanical action. A momentary push button fits that criteria...

When the circuit is completed by doping a PN junction, whether the voltage is regulated or not (i.e. using a MOSFET) is when a mod ceases being a "mech".

My only issue is, there is some obvious talent being displayed here, you guys have the guns to build...it's just time to start thinking outside the (Hammond) box :D

Podunk Steam

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2014
United States
Thanks for the compliments and yes I know with the wires it's semi mechanical. Most of the metal parts I started with were stamped brass. I did hollow out parts of the Ego cone for the button lock on my lathe. Later I made the button into a magnetically sprung button with a different cartridge base from a 7.62X54R, the original was from a spent .308.
IMG_20140218_081217_zpsrifkv7eo.jpg

What I found kinda strange was the magnets caused a greater voltage drop, it started out at .12 and all I remember is the voltage drop was greater with the magnets. I only built a few mechanicals because the regulated circuits just hit more consistent threw the battery discharge.
This is another semi mechanical I made powered by 2 18350s.
5cefce7b-e835-463a-81ec-19ad09639985_zps9bbe4e7c.jpg

The button was mechanical in this one too.
PB140099_zpsca65bdfe.jpg

EDit: I did change out the button and battery carriage later in this one.
IMG_20140309_003931_zpsks1nfcal.jpg

IMG_20140308_200406_zpsnm4lxr8s.jpg

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Thanks for the compliments and yes I know with the wires it's semi mechanical...

The use of wires doesn't make a mod any less "mech" either (I have no idea where the term "semi-mech" came from :blink:...it's either mechanical or it's not)...if "no wires" was a criteria of a mech mod then there would be very few box mechs. (if any)

I think there may be some blurring in of tube mod terminology happening here where the body of the mod is also a conductor. The Reo Grand uses the body as a neg. return, and has a flat strip of conductor that gets physically mashed into the pos. of the batt with a button. I don't think there's any argument that a Grand is a "mechanical" mod...but isn't that strip basically a flat wire?

I recently saw a wood box mod where the guy used painstakingly formed #12 solid copper wire with the insulation all stripped off and it was controlled by his own "home brewed" switch (similar to a Grand), again, no doubt that that mod was a mech....so if you strip off the insulation, it's no longer wire? :D... the guy could have also wired in an led V meter, that would've kinda ruined the look but that wouldn't make it any less a mech.

I build mechs, FET controlled and regulated mods and building a good mech is the hardest...especially the switch (not many 10A momentary switches out there), all your connections have to be spot-on or you get v drop across it, losing power to your coils...where as in a regulated mod, if you lose wattage at a bad connection, no worries, just turn it up.

Not that any of this really matters...I just think that all this terminology is making things more complicated than it needs to be.

Podunk Steam

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2014
United States
Not that any of this really matters...I just think that all this terminology is making things more complicated than it needs to be.
Agreed! I can't build micro coils anymore because I don't even know the specific diameter they (Micro coils) are now so I just build contact coils in many diameters. Mechanical and semi-mechanical are just older terminologies I though were still used.
On the first page the OP suggested vv and vw as well since they seem to be really popular and maybe easier to make?
I guess I missed it in the post and paid too much attention to the title.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Mosfet mod parallel/series switchable

IM3aMfw.png

PZxb241.png

eu6ny7m.png

I keep seeing this awesome thing everywhere I go. Not thats its not worthy or anything :D David do you have a build that can stand up to the switching between voltage output or do you swap atty's out when you feel like it. Big difference between series and parallel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread