Verified Member
May 8, 2015
Texas

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Hey, where did you get those spool tamers? I want those! I hate it when my kanthal goes sproing and unwinds all over the place!

I got mine at hobby lobby......but I just clicked the amazon link and see 25 pieces ...

I only got 3 in a package at hobby lobby-------mite better order the amazon 25 piece bundle..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Wow who knew it took all this "stuff" to coil and wick an atty. :D

It Really Doesn't. I just use it as an Excuse to Feed my Addiction for Buying Tools.

I mean, If I just Bought the Tools just to have them, that would be Neurotic and Compulsive. This way I get all Kinds of Cool Tools and it Doesn't look like I have a Problem.

Kinda a Win-Win.

LOL

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
It Really Doesn't. I just use it as an Excuse to Feed my Addiction for Buying Tools.

I mean, If I just Bought the Tools just to have them, that would be Neurotic and Compulsive. This way I get all Kinds of Cool Tools and it Doesn't look like I have a Problem.

Kinda a Win-Win.

LOL

:lol: excellent!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Wow who knew it took all this "stuff" to coil and wick an atty. :D

No kidding. I use a drill bit to wrap the wire around, and nail clippers to snip it. The only tools I've bought are the drill bits, and that 3" vise I posted way back at the beginning of the thread -- it keeps the bases immobile so I don't have to chase 'em all over the counter top, and no, the Omnitester does not work for that, it's too lightweight; it has to be something heavy enough that I can wrap the wire tightly around the screws and the whole thing doesn't move around. I did also buy some ceramic tweezers, but rarely ever use them.

Andria

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
I went to Harbor Freight today. I want to modify a bamboo spice rack I snatched up at Wally World last week. Hubs broke out in a cold sweat when I came out with some drill bits and round cutter things. The guys that work there are so sweet. I took my ProVari in and a pic of the stand modded that I found here on ECF and said "I need stuff to make this look like that and fit these." :D

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
I went to Harbor Freight today. I want to modify a bamboo spice rack I snatched up at Wally World last week. Hubs broke out in a cold sweat when I came out with some drill bits and round cutter things. The guys that work there are so sweet. I took my ProVari in and a pic of the stand modded that I found here on ECF and said "I need stuff to make this look like that and fit these." :D
We are anxious to see the results.

Reactions: MsLoud

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Thank you, if they last me a few months at that price that is worth it to me.
Seems all the ones Ive had separate somehow and dont give me a good clean cut.

ive tried most of or all the blue handle sidecutter's at FT and they were shocking, blades not meeting properly or grooves appearing in the blades instantly.

The ones i linked you ive used for about a year and a half and are only just starting to show signs of wear, i cut wire up to around 24g with them no probs and if i cut thicker wire off a spool i use the cutters that are on the side of pliers just so save wear on the red handled sidecutters.

Reactions: anavidfan

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I use few tools to maintain my RTA's. I have a set of Stanley miniature screwdrivers with the yellow "bumblebee" handles, a set of tweezers from Amazon, a pair of medium sized scissors for cutting wick material, a wire cutter for Kanthal, a mandrel with 1mm to 5mm steps for winding coils, and a resistance checker with a 510 connection for measuring resistance.

I use a Harbor Freight mini butane torch to anneal wire. For inserting wicks down into the coil deck after installing the chimney my favorite tool is a simple medical syringe with a blunt steel tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread