Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

acollaro

Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
NJ
Anyone notice themselves getting colds more often from vaping? And also them cold staying around longer. I used to never get sick and now that i've been vaping I seem to get the cold more often and for longer. I haven't been able to rule out my walking germ of a 4 yr old yet. A co worker told me about an article he read about vaping being able to carry more germs. I usually dont believe most of what I read from anti-vapers but just wanted to get your opinions.

Hi acollaro. How long have you been vaping for? I started almost eight weeks ago, and during the first month I felt pretty crap (coughing, tiredness and sore throat) but I think that was down to quitting smoking after 20 years. If I vape too much, I tend to feel really really tired and lethargic, especially if I forget to drink lots of water. I'm only just now getting into a 'routine' with vaping and have cut down the amount I was using when I started, and not vaping high nic just before bed. I've felt quite a bit more alert the last week or so. Maybe take some Vitamin C for a while and see how you feel? I take it every day and hardly ever get a cold - touch wood!

acollaro

Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
NJ
Thanks I've been vaping now for about 18 months. Switched from analogs and couldnt be happier, now only if I can get my wife to switch. I used to use 24 but now im down to 18mg and i make my own so it could really be a little bit lower or higher. I do constantly have my e cig in my mouth. I go through about two 18350 900mah batteries and two evod fills a day.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
It could be the Pg to Vg ration of your juice ... when I first started vaping I used PG only juice and that was a bad idea for me .. it made me feel like crap, headaches, dizziness, dry throat ... I tolerate juices with a higher VG ratio better, and I don`t vape anything with more than 50% PG. This may, or may not be your issue, but if you use high PG juices then consider it ... whatever it is, I hope you figure it out.

And the over the counter cold aid Airborne is a miracle worker, especially if you are around children a lot .. I take it at least once a month, twice a month when I am teaching the little one`s, and once every three hours when I actually catch a cold ... which doesn`t happen anymore because I take it once a month :p

white88stag

Aug 16, 2013
Houston, TX
Completely unbiased confession:

I have not gotten a cold since starting vaping over smoking. Only been on a PV for about 6 months, but can confirm 100% that my sinus infections, skin blemishes, and many other negative health problems have reduced or disappeared since quitting smoking.

I have 2 kids in public school, ex smoker of 17+ years. No signs of bronchitis this year.. Yet.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Completely unbiased confession:

I have not gotten a cold since starting vaping over smoking. Only been on a PV for about 6 months, but can confirm 100% that my sinus infections, skin blemishes, and many other negative health problems have reduced or disappeared since quitting smoking.

I have 2 kids in public school, ex smoker of 17+ years. No signs of bronchitis this year.. Yet.

My experience is nearly identical, minus the two kids ... :D

6 months vapng after 46 years of smoking. Chronic bronchitis cleared up after 3 days, now it surprises me if I cough, like "what was that ?" ...

At least 4 times in that 6 months, I was closely exposed to a cold or flu at work and had the early signs, sore throat, congestion, and body aches. After a full night of sleep, woke up symptom free ...

Coincidence ? Who knows ? I enjoy vaping, and the flu resistance is a welcome bonus ... :2cool:

Rabbit Chaser

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
San Jose, CA
I had a cold last week, but it only lasted a few days - nothing like the endless weeks of coughing up both lungs like on analogs. I lost my taste buds for a few days, which sent me resorting to juices I didn't like anyway so as not to waste good flavored juice since i couldn't taste it anyway! I recovered pretty quickly. I would say it is more due to your body purging the hundreds of toxins left behind by analogs. The first time I quit after many, many years of smoking, I got sick a lot - my body just kept letting go of the crud until finally one day, i could get a cold and have it stay just that, a minor cold. I have not had any harsh backlash of being sick with a cold since vaping.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I started vaping in rehab, and I didn't get sick at all in there..normally I wouldn't mention being there, but I think it's applicable to the question. After 5+ years of pain med abuse, there's not much that won't get you sick when you finally stop. I haven't had any problems with vaping at all...besides not having enough money. Though, I am super picky with liquids.

Last edited:

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
PG sensitivity maybe? I use high PG and have to avoid exhaling through my nose.

I'm recovering from a pretty bad cold or infection. My first one since since quitting smoking.
It's been different from when I was smoking.
Started normal, a few days of sinus discomfort. Then BAM, woke up with my lungs feeling horrible. Coughing brought tears to my eyes. Severe bronchitis. Couldn't inhale any vapor. I guess it's the PG drying tissue.
It did seem more severe than previous lung problems when sick. I suspect that this was perception only because I'm not used to my lungs feeling bad anymore.
2 days and my lungs are fine. They used to take a week or more to recover. Still have some deep sinus congestion left, especially in my ears but I'm recovering much quicker.
I did get more dehydrated than usual. I don't remember my eyes ever being so dry and red when I was sick.
I think I'm going to be completely through it in about 5 days instead of the 10+ days when I was smoking.

I did wonder about the liquids having bacteria when it hit my lungs so fast. I DIY and didn't wash my new bottles and had just started a new 50ml bottle. I put up the juice I was using and got a fresh bottle. I'll probably throw it away just in case, it's only about $3 for DIY stuff. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but I will be sterilizing all my bottles in the future.

Oh. HEY! Instead of throwing it away, I'm going to dump it down the yellow jacket hole in my back yard.:laugh:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I suspect that it's caused by that four year old's social life, as that was the time we frequently caught colds through our children.

Vaping has taken my typical colds from extended illnesses, including bronchitis and inflamed lungs, to simple three day affairs. Less trouble with colds at 57 than in my 30's.

acollaro

Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
NJ
Gotta stop trying to convert all the smokers to vaping with your setup, haha. Otherwise not sure my friend I haven't noticed anything like that myself. What setup are you using?

I diy liquids with a mech mod and evod with 2.1 coil.

Also thank you everyone for the input. I think its probably my son too. But this guy put a bug in my ear and it had me thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread