Not open for further replies.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Well, for those of you that haven't joined us in our "Budget Mech mods" group yet (see link below, in my signature!), or can't see the group (tapatalk on mobile) I've stepped yet another one into cheap, easy modification of the #19.

I *replaced* the modified juice bottle cap OR the modified snap in grommet with a simple, rubber grommet used to repair faucet aerators! It was like 29 cents. I think they are 15/16" OD and about as thick as the "lip" on the original delrin cup. It's important to make sure that your firing pin, modded or not, will still contact the bottom of the battery when this is in place. It should be *just* small enough to fit inside the main tube... mine will actually hold a panny 18650 from falling out when the switch assembly is taken off! The only *slight* drawback is that the plastic pieces all help support the firing pin so that it moves more or less up and down in a straight line... with that piece eliminated the switch can be pressed at an angle causing the firing pin to move slightly at an angle as well... it still hits the bottom of the battery straight on though, and it does it *every single time*. NEVER a misfire.

P5300013_zpsfdfb4914.jpg

P5300012_zpsd4cbaaf8.jpg

It's important to point out that these same grommets come in a variety of colors, mostly black... although I've seen white ones too. Doesn't mean anything as far as we are concerned. Probably the same replacement part as used in making a better seal in a standard garden hose too ;)

Two dollars and a five minute walk in a well stocked hardware store and I can make a factory #19 hit like the freight train it should be! By far the mod I use the most now.

Last edited:

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
I hated my #19 when I first got it. It's almost all I use now! It's become my favorite.

The modding is all pretty easy and I've taken a fair amount of time and trouble to outline some of the best ways of making it perform as it *should have*, straight out of the box. Re-read this thread, pay attention to the photos. Have a couple of pair of good, small needle nose pliers available and probably a cheap butane torch. Have a good hardware store close by and a short parts list in hand (will help to actually have the mod in hand when you go shopping!)

And of COURSE, please DO ask any questions here, if you have any. :)

P.S. The newest version of this mod seems to now include a spring in the top cap. I haven't had a chance hold one of these in my hands yet so I am really not sure where to go, improvement wise, with this new version! Close up photos would be great!

Hopefully someone with the newest version will be able to fill in some blanks on this thread, for all of us.

ItsSunnyB

Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles
I hated my #19 when I first got it. It's almost all I use now! It's become my favorite.

The modding is all pretty easy and I've taken a fair amount of time and trouble to outline some of the best ways of making it perform as it *should have*, straight out of the box. Re-read this thread, pay attention to the photos. Have a couple of pair of good, small needle nose pliers available and probably a cheap butane torch. Have a good hardware store close by and a short parts list in hand (will help to actually have the mod in hand when you go shopping!)

P.S. The newest version of this mod seems to now include a spring in the top cap. I haven't had a chance hold one of these in my hands yet so I am really not sure where to go, improvement wise, with this new version! Close up photos would be great!

Hopefully someone with the newest version will be able to fill in some blanks on this thread, for all of us.

Waiting on my 19 from exhale vapors, will let u guys know if it comes with that spring and let you know how it is, but pretty sure will still require modification

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

whit77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
uk

Same here, I didn't care for mine when I first got it, bit of modding and I love it, I even did the old flame the spring trick, and after a bit of use the button "beds in" and becomes really nice :)

icucme2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2012
Costa Mesa, ca
Exhalevapors finally sent out my #19. I hope it hits pretty decent out of the box. I never modded a mechanical mod and the #19 seems to have so many problems.

If anyone is local in Riverside, CA or Orange County. That wouldn't mind helping me mod my #19 when it comes it.

i'll be getting my #19 soon also. if i mod it right i'll let u know. we can mod and vape and grub down on some Jalea and yucca ala huancaiena.... off subject but wheres the best peruvian spot for mariscos like jalea and ceviche mixto? i used to love Norys in anaheim but i went recently and it doesnt taste like the same Norys i grew up with

Peruviann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2013
i'll be getting my #19 soon also. if i mod it right i'll let u know. we can mod and vape and grub down on some Jalea and yucca ala huancaiena.... off subject but wheres the best peruvian spot for mariscos like jalea and ceviche mixto? i used to love Norys in anaheim but i went recently and it doesnt taste like the same Norys i grew up with

Just let me know. I should have my #19 in today. Just waiting on the mailman. Since your local in orange county. You should try my friends juice line. Kali Kloud vapors.

I usually go to Mario's for the lomo saltado, ceviche and Jalea.
Mario's Peruvian Seafood Restaurant - La Mirada, CA

Now for the rotisserie chicken THIS is a must go to spot.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-pollo-west-covina

If you want Anticuchos this spot the owner is also the cook.
Anticucheria Peruana - Norwalk, CA

For Papa ala huancaiena , Tallarines verde and a bunch of other dishes just go over to my moms house.

Br4ndon

Jan 18, 2013
Denver
Just a quick update.

I finally removed the bottom switch magnet.

For those of you with an interesting is doing the same here is how I did it:

1.) First I used a 15/16 Spade Drill Bit. Look a little like this:

Image%202013.05.31%201%3A03%3A34%20PM.jpeg

I am sure you could use any size, I just happened to have a 15/16".

2.) Using the pointy end of the Spade bit I created a tiny hole in the magnet. I was either close to getting through the magnet, if not all the way down to the brass. You will need to apply a LOT of pressure to do this! I put my switch on a piece of card board on the floor of my garage, and applied most of my body weight when drilling.

3.) With the small hole now created, I switched to a normal 1/8" drill bit and re-drilled the hole created in the previous step. Within seconds of drilling the entire magnet popped.

Now, with the entire magnet out of the way, and using two stacked brass washed I am getting MUCH better hits without any misfires.

I would still love to get the actual switch apart, but for the life of me I can seem to get enough grip to bust the locktite. I even tried boiling the entire switch.

I might still try getting a 4M Tap, and adding a Brass screw.

I have never used a Tap, so any pointers?

Tourlounette

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Montréal
I did almost the samething to remove the magnet.
I am not able to take the switch apart also.

And now a regret...
Because withe the magnet it was easy to puch the switch since it was attract by the battery.

So tomorrow i'will go buy a little magnet and put it in place.

Before modifying that mod for almost nothing think twice.
That's my 2 cents.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
And now a regret...
Because withe the magnet it was easy to puch the switch since it was attract by the battery.

So tomorrow i'will go buy a little magnet and put it in place.

Why put a magnet back in it? It's not near as good a conductor as brass, copper or aluminum and actually does *nothing* in this mod except to touch the bottom of the battery. AND you will have to glue it back in (brass is non-magnetic). Screwing the mod together is what brings the battery close to the switch, not the magnet.

Brass nut as I have used is much better.

ItsSunnyB

Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles
Just received my #19 from exhale vapors with the nzonic head and the upgraded tophead , just modded the firing mechanism the top head works great with the new spring....lightened and shortened my throw on the firing switch, and i didn't have to hit up the local hardware store had everything in my box.. Hits hard with my nimbus

5uhuny5y.jpg

arehevur.jpg

y3ugazup.jpg

Tourlounette

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Montréal
Why put a magnet back in it? It's not near as good a conductor as brass, copper or aluminum and actually does *nothing* in this mod except to touch the bottom of the battery. AND you will have to glue it back in (brass is non-magnetic). Screwing the mod together is what brings the battery close to the switch, not the magnet.

Brass nut as I have used is much better.

Agree with you that copper or brass are more conductive.

But since i am not able to change the spring, magnet help a lot when pressing the fire bouton.
Funny that you did not notice that.
I know that Screwing the mod together is what brings the battery close to the switch. But firing is done by pressing the switch.

icucme2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2012
Costa Mesa, ca
Just let me know. I should have my #19 in today. Just waiting on the mailman. Since your local in orange county. You should try my friends juice line. Kali Kloud vapors.

I usually go to Mario's for the lomo saltado, ceviche and Jalea.
Mario's Peruvian Seafood Restaurant - La Mirada, CA

Now for the rotisserie chicken THIS is a must go to spot.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-pollo-west-covina

If you want Anticuchos this spot the owner is also the cook.
Anticucheria Peruana - Norwalk, CA

For Papa ala huancaiena , Tallarines verde and a bunch of other dishes just go over to my moms house.

haha, thank u, looks like i'll be visiting Mario's soon.. i'll check out your freinds line.. thanks

whit77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
uk
Just received my #19 from exhale vapors with the nzonic head and the upgraded tophead , just modded the firing mechanism the top head works great with the new spring....lightened and shortened my throw on the firing switch, and i didn't have to hit up the local hardware store had everything in my box.. Hits hard with my nimbus

5uhuny5y.jpg

arehevur.jpg

y3ugazup.jpg

Nice, floating 510 center pin, I like that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread