Sigelei 35A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...shame on you Sigelei!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a 20A-25A, 2100mAh cell and I'm mad as hell about it. sigelei should be ashamed of themselves for labeling it 35A/2500mAh. The photos clearly show that it's a rewrapped 2100mAh VTC4 so it can't possibly be 35A or 2500mAh. But instead of telling the truth, Sigelei decided to hop on the exaggerated battery rating bandwagon.

Why am I so angry about this cell when there are dozens of overrated ones on the market? Sigelei is a trusted manufacturer of mods that many, many people love. They had a chance to continue their good reputation and be one of the industry leaders in the battle to have batteries labeled with their true ratings. Instead, they decided to mislead us and try to make a few extra dollars. Words can't express how disappointed I am in Sigelei.

They have also labeled it as a "Li-Mn" and "IMR" cell. But the VTC4 is a "NMC" cell, using a nickel-manganese-cobalt chemistry. It does not use the lithium-manganese chemistry that IMR cells use.

It's like this wrap was for another cell entirely but they decided to use it anyway.

Testing was stopped as soon as I confirmed it was performing close to a VTC4. The results will not be posted as I cannot recommend buying this battery.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I've always believed that the only battery companies that can be trusted to provide accurate battery specifications were AW, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony. Your battery tests tend to prove my belief to be true, Mooch.

It's clear to me that the battery industry is not being "policed" or regulated to provide truthfulness in their specifications. As consumers, we are forced to rely on independent testers like @Mooch and Dampfakkus for accurate information.

Thanks for your research, Mooch. Thankfully, your input on the forums, House of Hybrids and Grimm Green on YouTube is spreading the word about batteries to vapers.

Last edited:

Rasti B

Nov 19, 2015
    It is egregious on Sigelei's part to label a battery with specs beyond their capacity. I own several of their products and am highly disappointed that they are doing this. Thanks to Mooch for benchmarking the situation. Unfortunately even with regard to matters of safety the credo, "Caveat emptor" applies as usual.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread