Sigelei Mini 30 Box Question-Bypass and Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twicehorn

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2014
Dallas
Hey folks. I have had the referenced box mod for I guess six months now. Quite enjoyed it. Mostly run a single coil Derringer on it at about 0.8-1.0 Ohm.

The instructions indicate that it should not be used as a "bypass," meaning vaping while charging. I have seen passing reference to this, but am asking the question point-blank: what is the "danger" of using it as a bypass, if any? Does it damage the chip? The battery?

I do not use it as a bypass, currently. In fact I rarely charge at all using the mod.

Which leads to the second question. I have 3 batteries, two are about a year old. They were first used in a Vamo clone. Anyway, despite more than "half" indicated on the Max screen charge indicator, they won't fire the atty strongly. I suppose this means they are nearly kaput. They work fine after a full charge, but quickly "peter out."

I note that if I plug them in, the mod fires just fine. Is this dangerous or harmful to the device?

The instructions indicate that it should not be used as a "bypass," meaning vaping while charging. I have seen passing reference to this, but am asking the question point-blank: what is the "danger" of using it as a bypass, if any? Does it damage the chip? The battery?

While I'm not sure, I'd bet that it confuses the charger. Optimally, a bypass charger should detect the button press, kick out, and only kick back in after a rest period. Otherwise, the battery shows slightly low voltage due to the draw and will overcharge for a short period until the voltage recovers.

That can seriously shorten battery life, particularly when rocketing around 4.20 volts--not to mention being potentially dangerous if the battery isn't in good shape. It spends considerable time either being slightly overcharged or charging a little too fast. Venting becomes more likely.

I note that if I plug them in, the mod fires just fine. Is this dangerous or harmful to the device?

Probably not, but the batteries do sound like they're on their last legs. Again, old, sick batteries are more likely to fail catastrophically than new, healthy batteries. I'd replace those.

Reactions: Jdurand

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
Probably not, but the batteries do sound like they're on their last legs. Again, old, sick batteries are more likely to fail catastrophically than new, healthy batteries. I'd replace those.

When in doubt, throw them out. Batteries are cheap compared to faces and teeth!

Reactions: MorpheusPA

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
If used in "bypass" and NOT designed for it, the current to vape will be too much for the charging circuit to handle, and failure will be the result. Perhaps catastrophic. So don't take the chance.

All rechargeables have a service life. When they start to get close to the end, what you describe is pretty typical - take a charge but don't last long. Time to get some new ones and recycle the old. One of the reasons for replaceable battery mods :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread