Sigelei Moonshot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotorcityVapeman

Mar 14, 2016
The Motorcity
Let us know how you like it? I haven't been using mine, The Supreme is more of my new do it all tank now!
I liked the 22mm Moonshot, good flavor but it liked to leak, and have not given it another shot, my fault! I will though, I would like it just to be my around the house flavor mixer to get rid of the dreaded vape tongue!

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
Got mine a couple of days ago. Love the flavour! Running 8 wrap, 28gauge, 2.5mm (0.9ohm). Planning to use this with my nugget mod when it arrives, hence higher resistance build.

Only annoyance is the leaking I get after a refill. Can't work out what is causing it [emoji35]. Anyone found any solutions? I'm pretty sure my airhole are well covered with wick.

There's a spare black o-ring that came in the pack. What's that for? Can't seem to locate one already installed on the tank...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Daisychainvaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2015
Refill only when it is a little dry and then refill it within 10 seconds, close the cap right afterwards and take a toot. That works perfect for me.

If I leave the top cap open for more than 10 seconds it starts to leak slowly :). Maybe a bit more wick helps too. I HATE leaking RTAs and this one never leaks when vaping and very very rarely when refilling. You'll find the trick!

PS: I can not use these eye dropper bottles. I am too slow with them and it leaks, works with unicorns for me.

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
Refill only when it is a little dry and then refill it within 10 seconds, close the cap right afterwards and take a toot. That works perfect for me.

If I leave the top cap open for more than 10 seconds it starts to leak slowly :). Maybe a bit more wick helps too. I HATE leaking RTAs and this one never leaks when vaping and very very rarely when refilling. You'll find the trick!

PS: I can not use these eye dropper bottles. I am too slow with them and it leaks, works with unicorns for me.
Thanks for the tip!

I've given it a go and it reduced leakage dramatically! But still a little dribble.

I also decided to do a very close up inspection of the wicking holes when the tank was next empty. At one hole I did notice a really tiny gap between the wick and the hole (no more than like 0.5mm wide). I used a pair of tweezers to very carefully manoeuvre my cotton to ensure the gap was closed.

Now with that fix and @Daisychainvaper's telling recommendation, no more leakage [emoji106]

Now to focus more on experimenting with how far I can push this 0.9ohm build in producing primarily flavour and also vapour...

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
just got mine 2 days ago and I'm loving the performance but the problem is that air bubbles get stuck in front of the wick holes and block the juice from moving around freely...
any one faced a similar issue ?
Same issue here. They do end up moving out of the way esp with a little shake of the tank, but it's a little annoying having to keep an eye on whether there are bubbles blocking the wick holes or not. I usually notice the presence of a bubble cos I get a slightly dry hit.

Yep, mine does that if you look in the pic I posted above. I just shake it & they go away, it's probably due to the tight clearance between the glass & wick holes.
I wonder if the 24mm version solves this issue since the barrel in that version is the same diameter as the one in the 22mm, but the glass diameter is bigger?

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
I've run a few different coils in my 22mm. Ranging from 0.5 to 1.3ohm. I seem to prefer the higher resistance setups using 2.5 or even 2mm ID. It seems like I get more intensive flavour from those.
I guess the smaller diameter of wick allows the heat from the coils to relatively easily penetrate right to the core of the wick?

Also I figure higher gauge wire (28g kanthal for now) results in more coil surface area in contact with the wick. Therefore maximising vaporisation?

Also, I'm basing the number of wraps I use not on a target resistance, but instead enough wraps to create a coil that's the same width as the airflow holes beneath them (12 wrap for me using 28g). Ie if a coil is narrower than the airholes, ur not utilising the full stream of air passing the coil. Wider than the airholes and you get parts of coil not being cooled effectively and therefore are hotter and cause burning in those areas of the wick.

I only use regulated mods so whatever the resultant resistance is due to using more or less wraps, I just adjust my wattage to compensate.
It seems like I'm no longer an advocate of sub-ohm coils cos thinking about it, sub-ohm'ing seems to really be relevant if the mod in use is a mech mod which has a fixed voltage. In those cases, the only way to increase power/wattage would be to reduce resistance.

I've also adopted the the 'Scottish roll' technique when making my wicks. I find this method eliminates leakage even when refilling with airholes fully open.
I'm using some generic Japanese organic stuff at the mo which sometimes tastes a bit funky. Have some Koh Gen Do on order.

Yeah, so this rta seems to have totally changed my objectives when vaping. A paradigm shift so to speak. I used to think flavour is a byproduct of major clouds ie sub-ohm tanks like Crown V1, tfv4, herakles etc. Now, I realise that higher ohm setups are very capable in the clouds production dept, but also great for flavour! Plus less juice consumption and improved battery life. Roll on the mini mods! [emoji106]

Just got it in my mail yesterday. Did not like. Too many people saying is a very good rta, lots of flavor and big clouds. Well, apart from big clouds, the rest is not that good. Coiling and wicking is tricky, took 30 minutes to get it done. Vaping on it below 40w is pointless, above that is a pain in the ..., need to refill every 10 minutes. Driptip is horrible, short, so short that topcap is touching my lips, and is always kinda hot. Can't chain vape, gets too hot. Just paid some attention on couple of videos before setting up this rta and got no issues, no leakage, no DH. 2ml is also, how can I say.. Nothing.. 10 puffs and here we go filling up with juice again. Next step, sell it and get another dripper.. Not cause I'm make a comparison about the flavor in a dripper vs moonshot, but I rather just drip some juice in a dripper than unscrew, fill, screw this rta and do it again every 5 minutes. Well, this is just my 0,99 cents.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

srg2692

Verified Member
May 5, 2016
The 24mm is one of my favorite RTAs, extremely reliable. It's the only one(of several) that has never, since day one, leaked a drop. I've left it on its side overnight, carry it in my pocket regularly, inside, outside, hot, cold, it just doesn't leak. Still wicks great. If I leave the house with another tank I fill the Moonshot and throw it in my pocket as a backup. There are a few others that I get a slightly more satisfying vape from, but none are quite as reliable.

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
Just got it in my mail yesterday. Did not like. Too many people saying is a very good rta, lots of flavor and big clouds. Well, apart from big clouds, the rest is not that good. Coiling and wicking is tricky, took 30 minutes to get it done. Vaping on it below 40w is pointless, above that is a pain in the ..., need to refill every 10 minutes. Driptip is horrible, short, so short that topcap is touching my lips, and is always kinda hot. Can't chain vape, gets too hot. Just paid some attention on couple of videos before setting up this rta and got no issues, no leakage, no DH. 2ml is also, how can I say.. Nothing.. 10 puffs and here we go filling up with juice again. Next step, sell it and get another dripper.. Not cause I'm make a comparison about the flavor in a dripper vs moonshot, but I rather just drip some juice in a dripper than unscrew, fill, screw this rta and do it again every 5 minutes. Well, this is just my 0,99 cents.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I have two Mages which are alot like Moonshots. Over the course of acquiring more and more RTAs it is falling by the wayside for the reasons you mention. Now the Boreas has superceeded it, and the Billow V3, the Griffin 25 and a Merlin. Because they function without any significant foibles. And the Mage is getting pushed to the end of the bench. That top cap you have to use. Alot because of tank capacity. Why didn't they knurl it so it isn't such a PITA to remove? And it does get hot.

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
I bought one of these when they first came out and hated it. Along with it being a slight PIA to build on, it leaks and barely holds any juice. The flavor and vapor were great, but it's just too much aggravation to be bothered with. I went back to using my Herakles Plus w/SS replacement coils until recently trying the Fuji GTA from Digiflavor. That thing blows the doors off the Moonshot IMO.

SMIFFIX

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 27, 2017
haven't had any issues with this little tank! best purchase for tank i've made yet! running 24 gauge kanthal and have 6 wraps coming off at 0.26 ohms, running between 35-50 watts and my preheat is at 50 or 55 depending on my wattage setting for the time being, i will say i had some issues will leaking, a lot actually, but i fixed it, came to the conclusion that all you have to do it push the cotton by the air holes in the deck and make sure there is no gap, keeps out the leaking issue for me, haven't leaked since i did that, otherwise i love this tank on my Sigelei J150.

Attachments

• 20170627_003004.jpg
    20170627_003004.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Gcnc76
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread