Status
Not open for further replies.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Sigelei ZMax V3 and V5 Battery Tube Adjustment

For the telescopic V3 and V5 it is a good idea to tighten the tube to compress the battery spring to no more than 1/2 of it's relaxed length. This reduces the possibility of over-tightening the telescopic tube and displacing the circuit boards. These guidelines apply to both flat top and button top batteries as either type in 18350, 18490, 18500, 18650 and 2x18350 will work with V3 and V5.

-Use the tall (15mm) battery cap with all battery sizes longer than 18350. Adjust the tube until the end of battery extends 1/8" past the end of the tube. Then screw on the battery cap while holding the battery tube in place. Using the tall cap on batteries longer than 18350 adds nothing to overall Sigelei length as the tube is adjusted to shorter lengths than with the short cap. Most people find the long battery cap is easier to handle and get threaded to the tube than the short battery cap.

-To use the short (10mm) battery cap with batteries longer than 18350: adjust battery tube until end of battery is 1/8" below the end of the tube. Then screw on the battery cap while holding the battery tube in place.

-For a single 18350 battery: Screw the battery tube down all the way to it's shortest position. Use the short battery cap. The short cap spring tension for 18350 is good and gives V3 and V5 the shortest overall length (100 mm) with 18350. The tall battery cap usually fits 18350 with too little spring compression for reliable battery contact.

-For 2x18350: Use the tall battery cap. Adjust tube until the lower 18350 extends 1/8" past the end of the tube. Screw on the battery cap while holding the battery tube in place. The short cap is too short for 2x18350 and will leave some of the telescopic tube threads exposed causing tube wobble.

Another way to look at V3 and V5 tube adjustment is to measure the Sigelei V3 or V5 lengthwise from the battery cap base to the end of the 510 connector. Calipers work great for this measurement. With the spring properly compressed about 1/2 way you will get these approximate measurements:

18350: 100 mm with short battery cap, 105mm with long battery cap.
18490: 111-114 mm with either battery cap.
18500: 112-115 mm with either battery cap.
18650: 127-130 mm with either battery cap.
2x18350: 132-135 mm with long battery cap.

The V3 and V5 tall battery cap and the short battery cap both use the same battery spring. A new battery spring measures 17 mm tall. A battery spring will break-in to a slightly shorter length after several weeks of constant use. A broken-in spring will be a few mm shorter than a new spring so battery tube adjustments may be shortened accordingly.

Last edited:

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I remember reading in this thread that not everyone is receiving both battery caps when they order their Zmax. Which one are they getting? The short or the long battery cap? I can't remember, but I'm assuming (hoping) they are getting the short one. The long battery cap doesn't seem to provide much spring tension with the shorter 18350's. It's unfortunate that you can see the threads on the telescopic portion of the tube when using the short cap and an 18650, but at least that cap can achieve good spring tension for all battery lengths.

By the way, how do we search this thread now that ECF has gotten it's recent facelift? I can't seem to find a link on this page anywhere like we used to have. Sorry if this was already mentioned and answered...

Unfortunately the short one.

Reactions: fairmana

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Sigelei ZMax V3 and V5 Battery Tube Adjustment

For the telescopic V3 and V5 it is a good idea to tighten the tube to compress the battery spring to no more than 1/2 of it's relaxed length. This reduces the possibility of over-tightening the telescopic tube and displacing the circuit boards. These guidelines apply to both flat top and button top batteries as either type in 18350, 18490, 18500, 18650 and 2x18350 will work with V3 and V5.

-Use the tall (15mm) battery cap with all battery sizes longer than 18350. Adjust the tube until the end of battery extends 1/8" past the end of the tube. Then screw on the battery cap while holding the battery tube in place. Using the tall cap on batteries longer than 18350 adds nothing to overall Sigelei length as the tube is adjusted to shorter lengths than with the short cap. Most people find the long battery cap is easier to handle and get threaded to the tube than the short battery cap.

-To use the short (10mm) battery cap with batteries longer than 18350: adjust battery tube until end of battery is 1/8" below the end of the tube. Then screw on the battery cap while holding the battery tube in place.

-For a single 18350 battery: Screw the battery tube down all the way to it's shortest position. Use the short battery cap. The short cap spring tension for 18350 is good and gives V3 and V5 the shortest overall length (100 mm) with 18350. The tall battery cap usually fits 18350 with too little spring compression for reliable battery contact.

-For 2x18350: Use the tall battery cap. Adjust tube until the lower 18350 extends 1/8" past the end of the tube. Screw on the battery cap while holding the battery tube in place. The short cap is too short for 2x18350 and will leave some of the telescopic tube threads exposed causing tube wobble.

Another way to look at V3 and V5 tube adjustment is to measure the Sigelei V3 or V5 lengthwise from the battery cap base to the end of the 510 connector. Calipers work great for this measurement. With the spring properly compressed about 1/2 way you will get these approximate measurements:

18350: 100 mm with short battery cap, 105mm with long battery cap.
18490: 111-114 mm with either battery cap.
18500: 112-115 mm with either battery cap.
18650: 127-130 mm with either battery cap.
2x18350: 132-135 mm with long battery cap.

The V3 and V5 tall battery cap and the short battery cap both use the same battery spring. A new battery spring measures 17 mm tall. A battery spring will break-in to a slightly shorter length after several weeks of constant use. A broken-in spring will be a few mm shorter than a new spring so battery tube adjustments may be shortened accordingly.

I have wondered about cutting the spring to reduce pressure on the board.

Reactions: fairmana

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I remember reading in this thread that not everyone is receiving both battery caps when they order their Zmax. Which one are they getting? The short or the long battery cap? I can't remember, but I'm assuming (hoping) they are getting the short one. The long battery cap doesn't seem to provide much spring tension with the shorter 18350's. It's unfortunate that you can see the threads on the telescopic portion of the tube when using the short cap and an 18650, but at least that cap can achieve good spring tension for all battery lengths.

By the way, how do we search this thread now that ECF has gotten it's recent facelift? I can't seem to find a link on this page anywhere like we used to have. Sorry if this was already mentioned and answered...

Remember you can run without the spring at all if you have the right batteries that aren't completely flat on the negative.

Shortens it considerably.

I actually think you get a more positive feel of the tightness of the tube-battery- to board

solipsistic xerophyte

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
southern california
Everything is compatible

Only issue with dual coils is the 15w limitation with single battery.. Stack 18350's and you can take it up to 28 freshly charged at 1.3 & 6v

Is there any risk to stacking the batteries? I have not used an rba before so would I be better off just buying a single coil rba?

solipsistic xerophyte

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
southern california
Everything is compatible

Only issue with dual coils is the 15w limitation with single battery.. Stack 18350's and you can take it up to 28 freshly charged at 1.3 & 6v

Is there any risk to stacking the batteries? I have not used an rba before so would I be better off just buying a single coil rba?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I think single but you can play with a dual.

If your happy at 8w duals will be fine.... 2 coils at 15w is 7.5w each.

Stacking is safe in the zmax. Common battery safety is all you need. I did it for a year, no problems. Its recommended to pair the two batteries from new. Also to check the batteries with dmm before and after charge ocassionally to make sure they stay even within .05v. A set should last 6 months to a year no problem. I've posted many posts on the subject. See two of my blogs on power and stacking.

The nice thing with the zmax is once you need more than 15w, you can 'upgrade' it to 28w by using stacked batteries and the voltage settings.

I grows with you! :)

Last edited:

solipsistic xerophyte

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
southern california
I think single but you can play with a dual.

If your happy at 8w duals will be fine.... 2 coils at 15w is 7.5w each.

Stacking is safe in the zmax. Common battery safety is all you need. I did it for a year, no problems. Its recommended to pair the two batteries from new. Also to check the batteries with dmm before and after charge ocassionally to make sure they stay even within .05v. A set should last 6 months to a year no problem. I've posted many posts on the subject. See two of my blogs on power and stacking.

The nice thing with the zmax is once you need more than 15w, you can 'upgrade' it to 28w by using stacked batteries and the voltage settings.

I grows with you! :)

Thanks, going to check your blogs now. Can you explain to me how 2 18350 batteries will be able to up my wattage to 28?

Reactions: aikanae1

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Here's a link to a thread search for stacking by me. 28 informative posts.

Search Results for Query: stacking | E-Cigarette Forum

This link is thread search for stacked by me.. 79 posts

Search Results for Query: stacked | E-Cigarette Forum

The chip is designed to work with a 4.2v input or 8.4v a lot more capability and longevity of battery life with an 8v input.

Its up to 28 full charged, it will level off to about 24-25max as battery drains.

"The nice thing with the zmax is once you need more than 15w, you can 'upgrade' it to 28w by using stacked batteries and the voltage settings."

You've become my voltage guru.
Thx.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Jeremy , I'm missing something :) I'm stacking a matched pair of 350 imrs ......set in the voltage setting ..........how does this equate to 28 watts and more so, how do I know when I've arrived at the higher wattage ?, thanks

Can't you tell when you turn it up.. What ohms are you using? .... 2.4 ohms?

2.4ohm at 6v you'll get 15w. Optimal ohms for single 18650... I believe it has a 2.5 amp limit with one battery. Maybe 2.8 freshly charged, but it drops very quickly IMO.

When its set in voltage you have to figure the wattage based on the ohms. You would need 1.3 ohms at 6v to reach 28w. For maximum power switch to mean also.

Also keep in mind that the pwm peaks at 6 with one battery and with stacked batteries the pwm peaks at 7v. (Measured)

So its a lot of power you may need to turn wattage down 3w or so to equal your previous setting.

Wjth your normal settings It will hit stronger than the freshly charged your used to, and hit like that all day.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Well, it's not as good as the Kidney Puncher deal but it's still a good deal.
Siegeli Zmax V3 $15.00 at Vapor Range
Sigelei ZMAX V3 Telescopic Variable Mod

I know there's other lonely Sig Zmax's out there at sharply discounted prices just waiting for appreciation.

Holy cow they have them in colors too! Gonna grab a yeller one just to be different. THe legend is on sale as well for $29.95. My Sigelei collection is expanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread