Status
Not open for further replies.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
My internet is out. Yea just before bf. I'm not used to phone as a computer yet on forums so I hope I'm not posting dups.

I've seen a variety of v3's and they've all had the same ss. The main differences have been in style. Round or flat top, plastic or silvered button, removable top cap or not. I"ve even seen a telescopic one with the inner tube anodized the same color as the outer tube. I think those were unusual. The chip on all of them are the same. V5 adds an extra one to control the usb module. I know I can take the extension tube from my V3 and it will fit on the zmax mini and the V5. It's because of these standard dimensions and threading that it's possible to pick up a variety of Sig zmax's with the expectation of using them for back up parts. There's a lot of info just in this thread about DIY repairs if needed.

When I bought my V3's they had a year warrenty on them and that was the main reason I bought one because it was my first "big" purchase beyond the spinner, lol, kinda like my first "grown up" mod. I was no longer a noob.

I hope that helps some. I'm sure someone will comment if I've missed the mark and I'm no expert other than I still use my zmax's daily.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
My internet is out. Yea just before bf. I'm not used to phone as a computer yet on forums so I hope I'm not posting dups.

I've seen a variety of v3's and they've all had the same ss. The main differences have been in style. Round or flat top, plastic or silvered button, removable top cap or not. I"ve even seen a telescopic one with the inner tube anodized the same color as the outer tube. I think those were unusual. The chip on all of them are the same. V5 adds an extra one to control the usb module. I know I can take the extension tube from my V3 and it will fit on the zmax mini and the V5. It's because of these standard dimensions and threading that it's possible to pick up a variety of Sig zmax's with the expectation of using them for back up parts. There's a lot of info just in this thread about DIY repairs if needed.

When I bought my V3's they had a year warrenty on them and that was the main reason I bought one because it was my first "big" purchase beyond the spinner, lol, kinda like my first "grown up" mod. I was no longer a noob.

I hope that helps some. I'm sure someone will comment if I've missed the mark and I'm no expert other than I still use my zmax's daily.

Pbsuardo has very good detailed reviews on the Sig zmax. He calls them the poor man's provari and the original ones were clearly styled to be provari clones.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Watch out for the Pbusardo reviews. He shows exactly the right way to overtighten the telescopic tube with 18500/18490 if you want to dislodge the boards and display screen. :lol:

I love my Sigelei telescopics. I've used one every day since I started this thread in April 2013. I haven't used any other APVs or mods since then except for some demos. During that time I used the first SS V3 flat top for just over a year with a second identical V3 for back-up. In April 2014 I upgraded to a SS V5 flat top which I have used to this day with the exception of about two weeks. During those two weeks I used a backup V3 while I diddled about and eventually replaced the the original switch on the V5 with an Omron switch.

Today I have my first V3, the rarely used V3 backup, my first V5 (with laser etched logos, SS button and Omron switch) and a second V5 purchased for backup use at a close-out price I couldn't refuse. All work flawlessly with the exception of the first V3 which misfires once in a great while and needs a switch replacement when I get around to it.

The V5s are my favorites. Not for the cell phone charging option but for the battery gauge and puff counter. These displays show every time the V5 fires along with the wattage. V5 has a two line display when fired. V3 shows only a one line display. The battery gauge is genuinely useful and quicker to use than the battery voltage display on Menu Item #4. The puff counter actually tells me when my IMR batteries are starting to wear out and need replacement.

Great little rigs. Durable and fine performing for a carto tank guy like me.

Reactions: aikanae1

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

fairmana

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
Hard to deal with those prices when they were around for less than $10!

My thoughts exactly. Hindsight is 20/20. I should've bought 1 or 2 more V5's when they were at that price. :(

One consolation is that we've put some good info together in this thread to perform repairs/mods to keep our old Zmax's working way beyond their expected life spans.

I have two V5's, but what scares me is if a circuit board craps out... there's a low probability of coming back from that (and no more spare V5). If I eventually lose both of them to attrition, I suppose I'd have no choice but to go back to a spare V3, but I've come to enjoy the new display on the V5. I hope it never comes to that.

I sure wish they'd sell the Zmax V5 circuit boards separately at a reasonable price. I'd buy half a dozen without blinking an eye. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there's a few hundred of them collecting dust in a dark corner of the Sigelei warehouse in China. o_O

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
My thoughts exactly. Hindsight is 20/20. I should've bought 1 or 2 more V5's when they were at that price. :(

One consolation is that we've put some good info together in this thread to perform repairs/mods to keep our old Zmax's working way beyond their expected life spans.

I have two V5's, but what scares me is if a circuit board craps out... there's a low probability of coming back from that (and no more spare V5). If I eventually lose both of them to attrition, I suppose I'd have no choice but to go back to a spare V3, but I've come to enjoy the new display on the V5. I hope it never comes to that.

I sure wish they'd sell the Zmax V5 circuit boards separately at a reasonable price. I'd buy half a dozen without blinking an eye. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there's a few hundred of them collecting dust in a dark corner of the Sigelei warehouse in China. o_O

I hoped to get a Spore and replace the board with a V5. They have dropped a lot but $60 is still to steep.

Beyond Vape Spire Mod Stainless Steel (Unit Only) [bv-spire-unit-ss] - $60.00 : Beyond Vape, Premium Vaporizers and E-Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread