Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5 Telescopic: User's Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
I can't believe there's still stuff to learn about these!

I'm kinda late to game here alkanae1. Fortunately some knowledgeable folks here know these mods inside and out. Just got a black V5 and a couple 18500s to go with it as early Christmas gift. They have me rapidly becoming a sigelei fan...

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
Thanks BackDoc. Well I was fiddling with the telescoping feature of the Z5 yesterday using the 18500 battery and looking at quarter inch gap it left between the upper and lower sections. It got me wondering about how much spring compression there was so for the heck of it I popped out the spring and screwed the base on. Was very suprised to see the display light just as it snugged up. Vaped with it like that till battery needed charging, was nice being shorter and without the bit of wobble. After charge reassembled and the display didn't come back on first time but after a couple tries it did. Is a very close fit.

Anyway I made a small spring from a piece of copper wire. Has less than an eighth inch of travel but worked fine to make a consistent connection. Tightened main tube to top and used bottom cap to firm connection. That got rid of wobble and at least allows bottom vent holes a bit of breathing room. Have not seen this discussed in back pages but I have not read every page in this thread. The pic shows first first spring I made, shape similar to the logo on plastic fire button. Have since made another that has an extra wind but not seeing much difference. Both snap into the groove in the bottom cap so they stay put once in place. Can also see in pic the gap between cap and tube roughly equal to thickness of the compressed copper spring.
Z5 comp.jpg

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Thanks BackDoc. Well I was fiddling with the telescoping feature of the Z5 yesterday using the 18500 battery and looking at quarter inch gap it left between the upper and lower sections. It got me wondering about how much spring compression there was so for the heck of it I popped out the spring and screwed the base on. Was very suprised to see the display light just as it snugged up. Vaped with it like that till battery needed charging, was nice being shorter and without the bit of wobble. After charge reassembled and the display didn't come back on first time but after a couple tries it did. Is a very close fit.

Anyway I made a small spring from a piece of copper wire. Has less than an eighth inch of travel but worked fine to make a consistent connection. Tightened main tube to top and used bottom cap to firm connection. That got rid of wobble and at least allows bottom vent holes a bit of breathing room. Have not seen this discussed in back pages but I have not read every page in this thread. The pic shows first first spring I made, shape similar to the logo on plastic fire button. Have since made another that has an extra wind but not seeing much difference. Both snap into the groove in the bottom cap so they stay put once in place. Can also see in pic the gap between cap and tube roughly equal to thickness of the compressed copper spring.
View attachment 621325

A shorter spring in general may be helpful in the problem of "pushing" the circuit board out of place. May be a good idea for all battery configurations.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
Wow Kenno, a compact 18500Z, great thinking......I don't believe that modding a Z in this way has ever been discussed here....,.... PS: where did you find a black Z v5?..... I want one

Got my black Z5 here BackDoc with two 18500s. $25 total and free shipping.
Sigelei Zmax V5 Body

Didn't know there was a problem of pushing the circuit board out of place VapieDan. My sense is the solid seating with short spring will be less forgiving than the long spring for those prone to over-tightening. If not for remote chance of venting would be inclined to skip spring entirely on the compact 18500 configuration and just seat all the shoulders so it would be impossible to over snug. Will dig around archives and read that section. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just another observation, the end caps on V2 and V5 are interchangeable. The stainless V2 cap on black V5 didn't look too bad...

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Got my black Z5 here BackDoc with two 18500s. $25 total and free shipping.
Sigelei Zmax V5 Body

Didn't know there was a problem of pushing the circuit board out of place VapieDan. My sense is the solid seating with short spring will be less forgiving than the long spring for those prone to over-tightening. If not for remote chance of venting would be inclined to skip spring entirely on the compact 18500 configuration and just seat all the shoulders so it would be impossible to over snug. Will dig around archives and read that section. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just another observation, the end caps on V2 and V5 are interchangeable. The stainless V2 cap on black V5 didn't look too bad...

I like black
SpireGunmetal.jpg
too!

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I've been sitting around the house totally bored waiting for this Xmas stuff to get over with so I can get back to work. Decided to give my shirt pocket mods a break.
So I've been using my 26650 e-Huge, SIDs and ZV3s. Finally done it! Cranked down to hard after inserting the battery and dislocated the board on one of my Zs. :oops: Sigh. Looks like I'll be digging thru here to find the repair procedure. Dadgummit!o_O:yawn:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    @Foggy Road sorry to hear that you put one of your beloved Z's out of service. I could not imagine how to take one of those apart to fix it.

I keep posts like yours in mind every time I swap batteries and reinstall the cap trying to be mindful that over tightening can break the mod.

Best of luck fixing it.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    @Foggy Road sorry to hear that you put one of your beloved Z's out of service. I could not imagine how to take one of those apart to fix it.

I keep posts like yours in mind every time I swap batteries and reinstall the cap trying to be mindful that over tightening can break the mod.

Best of luck fixing it.
    Oh I've seen the fix in this thread. Seems straightforward enuf. Just can't imagine how to get the top off without marking up the top cap/beauty ring thingy.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2013
    Oh I've seen the fix in this thread. Seems straightforward enuf. Just can't imagine how to get the top off without marking up the top cap/beauty ring thingy.

I use this adapter screwing it onto the CE4 threads then tap from side to side on the end of the adapter to slowly work the top off. The adapter gets beat up but reusable and no damage to the threads of the Zmax.

Ego To 510/eGo Adapter (MOD FIX?)

Reactions: aikanae1

aikanae1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2013
    az
    Thanks Dan! Looks good and I just might have one. But looking at that adapter gives me the idea that one of my old Evod bases might work just as well. Speshly ifn I screw in a coil, minus center pin and grommet.
    Take pics if ya' can. I always love the DIY stuff no matter how many times I see it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Take pics if ya' can. I always love the DIY stuff no matter how many times I see it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    Really weren't all that much to it. Found an old T3 base.
    2016-12-24_14.25.54.jpg

Added an Ego beauty ring to it.
    2016-12-24_14.26.34.jpg

AND screwed it on my Z.
    2016-12-24_14.27.28.jpg

Took a small pair of vise grips and smacked the beauty ring from one side to the other and the top just popped off.
    2016-12-24_14.24.56.jpg

Tore off a small chunk heavily laminated business card and folded it to a triple layer, laid it across the top of the board and smacked it back together. Voila!
    2016-12-24_14.24.18.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread