Silica gel barely helps dry anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    It's time to put this myth to rest. Using silica gel to help dry a device that got wet barely helps at all compared to leaving the device in open air. In fact, it interferes with the evaporation of any water that is inside.

Rice doesn't work either. Here are the results of my tests using rice:

I set up a test using a paper towel sheet with enough water added to bring its weight to 18 gms. I then put the wet folded paper towel in a slightly ventilated small plastic box into one pound of newly-opened silica gel in a container and closed the container. The box was positioned halfway up the gel. I put another wet paper towel in an identically ventilated plastic box in front of a gently blowing fan.

After 24 hours I weighed the paper towels. Two and a half times more water evaporated from the box that was in front of the fan. It's clear that burying anything in silica gel just slows down the evaporation of any water that's present. This makes sense though. Silica gel (or any other material) can't vacuum up water. It can only absorb any water that evaporates and touches the surface of the gel. If the water has already evaporated and left the inside of device, why try to absorb it with anything? It's already out. Just blow it away so it's easier for more evaporation to occur.

Since the device that is wet is buried in silica gel, with no air movement, the humidity level quickly rises up to 100% next to any water that is present inside the device. This significantly slows down any evaporation that could take place. Adding air movement with a fan blows away the layer of very humid air above any water, allowing the water to evaporate much faster.

Silica gel is only effective when used for its intended purpose...bringing down the humidity level inside a container that has small air leaks to about 40%-50%. Once the gel has saturated, absorbing about 18%-21% of its weight in water over a long period of time, it is no longer effective.

Bottom Line: If you have a mod that got wet, do not turn it on. Remove the batteries (if possible), very thoroughly shake out any water you can, and then place it in front of a fan. Rotate it every couple of hours to try to get any blowing air into any seams or ventilation holes. It should be pretty dry internally in 24 hours.

Please don't bury it in silica gel, rice, kitty litter, or anything else!

Pictures of the setup:

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    IF you're going to use rice, it has to be something like instant rice and you have to use a lot of it (like 4 cups or more).

But still, it's not the cure all that some claim it to be. For most electronic devices, it's best to disassemble as much as you can and let it air dry (or place in front of a fan).

Or buy a waterproof device. No worries. :D

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Forced air is probably the best thing to use to dry out electronics when they get wet. If you think about it, the forced air coming out of an air conditioner vent is a good drying mechanism. The moisture has been removed by the evaporator coil and the air has been cleaned by a filter before it hit the evaporator coil. What more could you want? The air is dry and virtually dust free depending on the filter type used.

I just set the part on the floor vent and walk away for a while.

Reactions: MikeyConti

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Since we're going down this rabbit hole...

Do you think that using a desiccator with something like anhydrous calcium chloride would be worth while if you live in an area with constantly high humidity (like Hawaii)?

Just asking for the sake of argument, I know it's an asinine proposal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Not sure you can do better than just using the hot moving air of the dessicator.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread