Silica wick and wattage..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanM

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
I'm using the 3.0mm silica wick with 32g Kanthal to rebuild (5-6 turns) my Novas.

I've noticed that I can't seem to get above 6.5-7W without getting that "burnt" taste. Seems like this wick isn't getting the juice fast enough.

I'd like to experiment with higher voltage/watts... Is Ekowool the way to go, or have others been able to get higher out of this wicking material?

I want to avoid the SS mesh, as I don't want to get a torch to flame it. I feel like I'm pushing the boundaries with this DIY stuff with a 4 year old in the house.

lctrc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2010
VA
I can't speak to use in novas. But I accidentally made a .5 Ω dual coil (was shooting for .9) on my Term-C v2 with regular 3mm silica from Stormy's. So ~28+ watts in a mechanical with a topped-up battery - vaped great, but I rebuilt it higher after a day because I was anxious about the amperage load on my batteries.

That said, I am currently using Ekowool and happy with it.

tincbtrar

Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
NYC
I'm using the 3.0mm silica wick with 32g Kanthal to rebuild (5-6 turns) my Novas.

I've noticed that I can't seem to get above 6.5-7W without getting that "burnt" taste. Seems like this wick isn't getting the juice fast enough.

I'd like to experiment with higher voltage/watts... Is Ekowool the way to go, or have others been able to get higher out of this wicking material?

I want to avoid the SS mesh, as I don't want to get a torch to flame it. I feel like I'm pushing the boundaries with this DIY stuff with a 4 year old in the house.

I really think the problem lies within the delivery system. The Nova.

With my Evods I can vape up to 10 watts, but at that point its tastes burnt - and thats with a bottom coil clearo. Those Novas are top coil no? I have IClear16's that I have to tilt to get them wick well.

Pick up an RDA and get some EkoWool - you should be able to test some higher voltages without wicking issues.

BryanM

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
I'll have to try out the bottom coil clearos (with EkoWool). I like the Novas because I haven't had problems with leaking and cracking that I had with the Kanger T2 (another top coil clearo).

The RDA suggestion is interesting... however I'm pretty tied to the convenience of a 2-3mL tank. Not too into dripping, unless I'm trying out new flavors.

lctrc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2010
VA
Do you have a pic of the result? Did you double over the wick before coiling?

No pictures, sorry. For the .5 Ω build it was just one length of 3mm silica in each coil. No burnt taste, no dry hits. Again, that was with 'normal' silica.

I'd have to agree with tincbtrar - Ekowool is fine stuff, but it won't overcome any limitations of the atomizer itself. If you want to experiment with higher voltages and watts, I suspect that the nova isn't the thing to do it with.

I also won't do steel mesh or genesis-style atomizers (for different reasons), which led me to the Terminator (v2). I don't torch anything either.

tincbtrar

Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
NYC
I used to be into tanks too...but the flavor is awesome with dripping and I carry juice with me in a small drip bottle. Lol.

I found that with clearos that I was able to carry more juice...but it didn't taste as good or provider much vapor or th. Got sick of wasting time and juice.

Give the bcc's a try...stormy has them on sale now I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread