Silica wicks, cotton wicks, or tanks?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysin

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Clearwater, FL
I am still a noob but have been doing a lot of reading..... I have recently upgraded to a few ego-c twist bats with a couple mini vivi nova clearos. I am very happy with them and excited to order many new flavors.

However!

Everyone has me freaked out about silica wicks! Now I have a couple questions. Rebuilding my nova heads seems easy enough but am I just being paranoid? If I go the cotton yarn route do you use 2 pieces or just 1? If I just go to a tank system does it eliminate this concern? Is it truly known that cotton is safe??

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
just being paranoid..........
while there seems to be a potential risk no conclusive evidence has been presented and if it was the problem some make it out to be there would be more reports of problems.
most do it to avoid the potential risk in case it is real not from well known fact.

Can't get cotton replacements as far as I can tell.

you can when you rebuilt them yourself

Jaysin

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Clearwater, FL

I read a post somewhere that talked about the FDA and all that are against ecigs doing and saying everything they can to show that vaping is unsafe but none of these opponents have said one word about silica wicks. Seems to me if they are so unsafe it would be their leading argument. Right?

Also, tanks eliminate this entirely, correct? I just really like the clearo system. Easy and tastes good.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Unless I'm mistaken the vivi nova like most tanks still use a coil that is wrapped around a silica wick.

Now again, this may be stating the obvious, but it seems people seem to forget it....

Various components of e-cigarettes may potentially pose a concern... but cigarettes WILL kill you... I'll take that trade off any day.

Sent from my HTC HOLIDAY using Tapatalk

OC2000

Unregistered Supplier
Dec 12, 2012
Hertfordshire
www.truevape.co.uk
Stick with 2mm Silica with the Nova's, if you want to venture further, look into the Genesis RBA's, they surpass both Cotton and Silica wicks. Genesis atomizers use Stainless Steel Mesh wicks, harder to build, and will frustrate you for the first 3 days or so, but once you pass the learning curve, nothing comes close to them. There are many tutorials out there on how to prepare them.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I use Silica in my wick RBAs but if your really worried you can use
Natural Jute Twine

Jute twine is a 100% biodegradable and pollution free natural jute packaging material. It is a twisted natural fiber used in packaging, craft, gardening, critical house hold applications. Because of its softness and good tying qualities jute twine is a great packaging material
You can purchase it at home depot I think 100' is about 5$

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited

papercrow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Baltimore
I rebuild mine with organic cotton wicks for beeswax candles. I think it's 1/0 size (got it on ebay) and it's just right. Other than that you need 32g kanthal and an ohms meter which can be found at:

RTD Vapor

The taste is far superior to silica (in my opinion) and it's easy and cheap. It cost me around $32 (with the meter) and I will be able to rebuild wicks for years.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
I have a hard time with directly plant based fibers - both cotton and bamboo have been VARY easy for me to scorch. This has proven true in both my mini vivi nova as well as in my vision eternity.

The one common denominator in these two is that I can't see my juice - I got the solid metal mini viv (in case I want to try a cinnamon juice). Thus, I am relying on a change in VTF to tell me when I'm running low.

Maybe worth a shot on a full sized vivi nova, since I have a couple that have clear tanks - not running them dry, maybe I can avoid scorching?\

Last time I rebuilt my eternity, the cotton wick had scorched clean into pieces, coming apart in my hand, with nice clean white cotton ends falling off of the blackened ash core that once had been the wick through the coil.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I rebuild with stainless steel (SS) mesh or silica. I've tried cotton too. I can taste the cotton and it WILL burn if you mess up.

So far SS mesh is the best when it's not shorting out the coil :D I'm using silica ATM with no "harsh throat shard fear". But who knows. My next wick will be SS again.

Yes...all tanks have some form of wick. Even those that use cartos, since the carto has wicking.

gcvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm one of those that started rebuilding my Vivi Novas with cotton wick and I think the taste is a lot better than with silica wick. I just happened to have some 30-ply candle wick in a drawer - about 300 feet of it. I contacted the seller I bought it from to confirm that it was 100% cotton and have been using it ever since. It can wick some thick juice too.

Jaysin

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Clearwater, FL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread