Silica wicks, cotton wicks, or tanks?!

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Jaysin, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Jaysin

Jaysin Senior Member ECF Veteran

I am still a noob but have been doing a lot of reading..... I have recently upgraded to a few ego-c twist bats with a couple mini vivi nova clearos. I am very happy with them and excited to order many new flavors.

However!

Everyone has me freaked out about silica wicks! Now I have a couple questions. Rebuilding my nova heads seems easy enough but am I just being paranoid? If I go the cotton yarn route do you use 2 pieces or just 1? If I just go to a tank system does it eliminate this concern? Is it truly known that cotton is safe??

2. speakerpunk

speakerpunk Full Member Verified Member

i'm askeered of rebuilding. replacing is as technical as I get right now...

3. Jaysin

Can't get cotton replacements as far as I can tell.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

just being paranoid..........
    while there seems to be a potential risk no conclusive evidence has been presented and if it was the problem some make it out to be there would be more reports of problems.
    most do it to avoid the potential risk in case it is real not from well known fact.

you can when you rebuilt them yourself

5. Jaysin

I read a post somewhere that talked about the FDA and all that are against ecigs doing and saying everything they can to show that vaping is unsafe but none of these opponents have said one word about silica wicks. Seems to me if they are so unsafe it would be their leading argument. Right?

Also, tanks eliminate this entirely, correct? I just really like the clearo system. Easy and tastes good.

6. Jaysin

More opinions?

7. ClippinWings

ClippinWings Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Unless I'm mistaken the vivi nova like most tanks still use a coil that is wrapped around a silica wick.

Now again, this may be stating the obvious, but it seems people seem to forget it....

Various components of e-cigarettes may potentially pose a concern... but cigarettes WILL kill you... I'll take that trade off any day.

Sent from my HTC HOLIDAY using Tapatalk

8. OC2000

OC2000 Unregistered Supplier

Stick with 2mm Silica with the Nova's, if you want to venture further, look into the Genesis RBA's, they surpass both Cotton and Silica wicks. Genesis atomizers use Stainless Steel Mesh wicks, harder to build, and will frustrate you for the first 3 days or so, but once you pass the learning curve, nothing comes close to them. There are many tutorials out there on how to prepare them.

9. Cloud Wizard

Cloud Wizard Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'm rebuilding Mini Nova's with 3mm Silca wick from COV (same I use in my Ody & Pennelope). With 6 wraps of 30awg I'm getting a really solid 1.5ohm. One trick to keep Silica wick from fraying whilst wrapping is to soak it with juice (I use 0 nic, 100VG).

10. Thrasher

many people have reported using cotton in the nova and getting much improved flavor.

11. buzzzlove

buzzzlove Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    San Antonio TX Travel the country for work
    I use Silica in my wick RBAs but if your really worried you can use
    Natural Jute Twine

Jute twine is a 100% biodegradable and pollution free natural jute packaging material. It is a twisted natural fiber used in packaging, craft, gardening, critical house hold applications. Because of its softness and good tying qualities jute twine is a great packaging material
    You can purchase it at home depot I think 100' is about 5$

12. Jaysin

Thank you all for the input. I think I will stick with stock heads for now. Will probably get in to rebuilding them eventually but like I said I'm new to all of this. The silica paranoia was just pushing me to build em sooner than I had wanted.

13. Cloud Wizard

Cloud Wizard Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  14. Thrasher

many people have switched to bamboo as well saying it is a very clean taste.

15. papercrow

papercrow Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I rebuild mine with organic cotton wicks for beeswax candles. I think it's 1/0 size (got it on ebay) and it's just right. Other than that you need 32g kanthal and an ohms meter which can be found at:

RTD Vapor

The taste is far superior to silica (in my opinion) and it's easy and cheap. It cost me around $32 (with the meter) and I will be able to rebuild wicks for years.

16. Dzaw

Dzaw Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have a hard time with directly plant based fibers - both cotton and bamboo have been VARY easy for me to scorch. This has proven true in both my mini vivi nova as well as in my vision eternity.

The one common denominator in these two is that I can't see my juice - I got the solid metal mini viv (in case I want to try a cinnamon juice). Thus, I am relying on a change in VTF to tell me when I'm running low.

Maybe worth a shot on a full sized vivi nova, since I have a couple that have clear tanks - not running them dry, maybe I can avoid scorching?\

Last time I rebuilt my eternity, the cotton wick had scorched clean into pieces, coming apart in my hand, with nice clean white cotton ends falling off of the blackened ash core that once had been the wick through the coil.

17. Thrasher

yea the cotton def burns easy. i have a sm0k tank that comes with cotton wicks and the first time i tried a dry burn i saw smoke and my wick fell out lol.........................

18. AttyPops

AttyPops Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran

I rebuild with stainless steel (SS) mesh or silica. I've tried cotton too. I can taste the cotton and it WILL burn if you mess up.

So far SS mesh is the best when it's not shorting out the coil :D I'm using silica ATM with no "harsh throat shard fear". But who knows. My next wick will be SS again.

Yes...all tanks have some form of wick. Even those that use cartos, since the carto has wicking.

19. gcvt

gcvt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm one of those that started rebuilding my Vivi Novas with cotton wick and I think the taste is a lot better than with silica wick. I just happened to have some 30-ply candle wick in a drawer - about 300 feet of it. I contacted the seller I bought it from to confirm that it was 100% cotton and have been using it ever since. It can wick some thick juice too.

20. Jaysin

: vamo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.