Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
So, when you turn your wattage up the vapor doesn't feel warmer to you? It sure does to me.
Yes but I think it's the air getting hotter. I don't know who's right here to be honest. I think it's me for the reason I stated above but you make a good point. If we have a physicist or scientist reading this thread please chime in to explain who is right.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
There is a minimum temperature that it will vaporize, the heat of vaporization, but it doesn't all instantly flow out the drip tip. Vapor can increase in temperature the same as a liquid can, until it changes state again. You say it's the air that gets hot, but the air is mixed with the vapor.. Increased airflow has a cooling effect. That is why dl vapers use more airflow because of the higher temperatures.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

Carlyle Fitzgerald

Dec 17, 2016
I don't know about VG or PG, but the reason a steam burn is so bad is that water, when it flashes to steam (because of depressurization, say from a car radiator) heats to over 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course, atomizers don't pressurize anything, or we'd be unable to use them at all.

But temperature is still important. We need to remember that we don't know, really know, what we're inhaling. We're probably getting some metal from the coil, although it's probably a tiny amount. That coil material has to go somewhere, or the coil would last forever. The wicking, too.

And every molecule behaves differently at different temperatures. Mercury as we know it on earth is a liquid, but it's solid at lower (much lower) temperatures. And it's a gas at much higher temps. More heat means more energy, which in turn means a more active material.

Which is not to say that our vapor is more harmful at higher temps; it could, in fact, be more harmful at lower ones. We just don't have enough information to decide yet.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Here's some info that I ran into here. I'm trying to followup and find the original article.
Click on the attachment.

This has been published before by Evolv, but it sure is a testament for accurate temperature control. Notice that at around 470 degrees Acetaldehyde (a carcinogen) increases like a sky rocket very quickly, double what is found in a cigarette. At 530 and up it gets as much as ten times that of a cigarette.

View attachment 628747

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Yes but I think it's the air getting hotter. I don't know who's right here to be honest. I think it's me for the reason I stated above but you make a good point. If we have a physicist or scientist reading this thread please chime in to explain who is right.
not either, but a liquids boiling point is the same temp as steam under same pressure. Water boils at 212 degrees the steam produced will be 212 degrees at normal atmosphere at sea level, the only way to change steam/ vapor temp is to change boiling point by adding or reducing pressure. The real questions should be focused on dissolved solids in flavoring that have diff boiling points. Vape feels hotter when increasing wattage because vapor is created faster so more energy transferred requiring that energy to be absorbed by constants such as air tongue/mouth

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
The temperature in which the liquid boils does not change (at a given pressure), but the more excited molecules, the higher the average kinetic energy and temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy. So if you have more vapor in your chamber, the temp of the vapor/air mixture would be higher.

As for the graph, it was something that was posted before the study was released. It comes from one of the biggest names in the industry (according to the person who posted it and he seems trustworthy). What does it mean? Who knows at this point. But I am looking forward to reading the study when it comes out.

Yes, there were other studies on formaldehyde that had some pretty flawed methodology, but that doesn't mean that other studies might not find some harmful byproducts under certain circumstances. It is worth keeping informed.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Funny that the last study I read of vapor's effects on lung epithelial cells was comparing cig smoke to vapor (no mention of flavors, VG, or PG) and stated that smoke was seen to kill the cells while there was no indication that vapor caused any cell death. I suspect if this study's conclusions are true we may be talking about infinitesimal amounts of added risk between one flavor and the next. The writeup of the study seems not to give any clarification as to how much additional risk they are referring to.

I also wonder about the "higher power" comments. Are they simply equating higher power to higher heat? True in some cases by by no means all. The actual power level to the coil all other things being equal will equate to more heat but I suspect that there is a fairly small heat range of acceptable vapor so I would have to question if their study remained within that range or not. No point in talking about additional risk if no one in their right mind would ever expose themselves to it.

I also noted who was paying for these studies, including big pharma.

Conclusion: For now I'll stick with vaping and try and keep an open mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread