silver bullet and RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmaxwell

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
The "great place" Ft Hood
ive had my SB since 2008 and ive never had anything else since its always been the best for me. ive had no problems ever! i want to start using a smok tech RSST. can/will this work on the SB since its not a "new" mod that does reentry calculations! lol. since 2009 ive been using the SB with Protanks of all sorts but i use them with LR atty's and ive always run 2 RCR 123A for 6V. i know im not supposed to do that, but im the one taking the risks and have had no probs since. 3.7 just wasnt cutting it! can i do this on the rba's? using my normal set up? ever since my normal set up has worked, ive been away from this forum so i come to ask the experts. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

rocks82

Supplier Associate
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Columbus
www.altsmoke.com
Hi there

Definitely DO NOT run an RBA at 6v with stacked batteries! Aside from being incredibly unsafe, it defeats the purpose of using an RBA. RBA's give stronger throat hit due to lower ohms at 3.7 volts. Running them at 6v will be like having your throat ripped out, punched repeatedly, then stuffed back into your throat. (I'm someone that enjoys high voltage kicks also)

On the safety side, don't do it because the amp limit of the batteries will be extremely exceeded as well, almost guaranteeing damage to the bullet (and maybe yourself). It's not recommended to stack with a standard cartomizer or pro tank... with an RBA it is beyond not recommended, to the point of urging you not to because it is 100x more dangerous than doing it with a cartomizer or pro tank.

Please follow the advice on this posting by Baditutde regarding batteries.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-silver-bullet-original-rba.html#post13329874

One of the most important things in using RBA's is using a safe battery to handle the load. Stacking rcr's with a low ohm rba is like asking to have it vent in your face. Please DON'T DO IT. If you want a higher voltage with your RBA while using the Silver Bullet, please use one of the recommended 3.7v 18650 batteries, a kick sleeve and the kick!

Last edited:

cmdrmaxwell

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Hi there

Definitely DO NOT run an RBA at 6v with stacked batteries! Aside from being incredibly unsafe, it defeats the purpose of using an RBA. RBA's give stronger throat hit due to lower ohms at 3.7 volts. Running them at 6v will be like having your throat ripped out, punched repeatedly, then stuffed back into your throat. (I'm someone that enjoys high voltage kicks also)

On the safety side, don't do it because the amp limit of the batteries will be extremely exceeded as well, almost guaranteeing damage to the bullet (and maybe yourself). It's not recommended to stack with a standard cartomizer or pro tank... with an RBA it is beyond not recommended, to the point of urging you not to because it is 100x more dangerous than doing it with a cartomizer or pro tank.

Please follow the advice on this posting by Baditutde regarding batteries.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-silver-bullet-original-rba.html#post13329874

One of the most important things in using RBA's is using a safe battery to handle the load. Stacking rcr's with a low ohm rba is like asking to have it vent in your face. Please DON'T DO IT. If you want a higher voltage with your RBA while using the Silver Bullet, please use one of the recommended 3.7v 18650 batteries, a kick sleeve and the kick!

i appreciate your advice, i really do. dont misunderstand me but ive have been using tanks of all sorts with 6V with stacked batteries and i have never had any type of problem. Hell, im on my 12th set of batteries after 6 years! so I will continue to do that. i have not started using the RBA until i do more research.

but let me understand, if I use a kick w the sleeve, with a 18650 wont it be able to give me 6V? which i already have with my set up? what is the difference?

i dont take take hit after hit. i always give the batteries plenty of rest time. i never take more than 2 to 3 second hits. the reason i went to 6V was so that i could have a more intense vape that didnt require a 10 second draw from a 3.7V device.

again, i dont mean to start an argument, i do respect all advice i get. i just get tired of the "dont ever" when i have used it for so many years. im not going to say that im not going to do it, but i will start with an 18650 and if that doesnt work for me then ill give my stacked batts a try. i was just trying to get some advice and see if someone actually did it with the SB. but again, thank you and thats not sarcasm, i appreciate any and all help.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
i want to start using a smok tech RSST. can/will this work on the SB since its not a "new" MOD
Yes, you could use a Genesis-style RBA like the RSST on your Silver Bullet. Having used Genesis-style RBA's in the past, I would strongly suggest using instead a Kayfun-style RBA like a Russian 91%. It is a better tank design, easier to build on, and will not have as high of a learning curve as a Genny will.

You could also use a rebuildable drip atomizer like a IGO, Phoenix, Patriot, or Tugboat.

Information Resources for Your First RBA

since 2009 ive been using the SB with Protanks of all sorts but i use them with LR atty's and ive always run 2 RCR 123A for 6V. i know im not supposed to do that, but im the one taking the risks and have had no probs since. 3.7 just wasnt cutting it!
You already state that you know that you are not supposed to stack batteries. If you are you looking for us to approve of unsafe battery practices you will not find that here. Enough said.

There was a time years ago when some folks stacked batteries for higher voltage in a mechanical mod (like yourself).

With the advent of regulated voltage mods, this practice was no longer necessary nor recommended for mechanical mods. You could also use a Kick in a mechanical mod which would turn a mech into a regulated mod. Both methods are a much safer and effective way to experience higher voltage vaping.

With the advent of rebuildable atomizers, the "experience" of higher voltage can be realized by building sub-ohm coils on mechanical mods, but this requires the use of high-drain, safe-chemistry batteries such as IMR and IMR/hybrid batteries which are capable of providing high amperage (up to 30 amps continuous discharge rate). This is the battery chemistry everyone should be using in their mods anyway -- ICR batteries should be considered obsolete in this day of modern battery technology.

Battery Basics for Mods

can i do this on the RBA's? using my normal set up? ever since my normal set up has worked, ive been away from this forum so i come to ask the experts. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
As stated above, you can indeed use RBA's on your Silver Bullet, but you must not stack the batteries you use as they will not have the amp requirements for a RBA and will surely drive them into thermal runaway. Doing so would be catastrophic!

I build 0.6 ohm coils on a Patriot and IGO-W rebuildable drippers for my two Silver Bullets. HOWEVER, I am NOT STACKING BATTERIES and frankly do not need to with my setup.

I am using a 30 amp battery (Sony 18650 VTC4 2100mah 30 amp battery) which AltSmoke sells, a high-amp/high-drain/safe chemistry battery. I assure you that I am making tons more vapor with this setup than you could ever get stacking batteries with RCR123 batteries and getting at least 3X the battery life with a single battery.

I highly suggest that you research RBA's before you dive into this realm of vaping. Not knowing what you are doing could be dangerous, possibly more dangerous than stacking batteries if you don't have the knowledge to do this safely. The above link to Information Resources for Your First RBA should get you started into the right direction.

Last edited:

cmdrmaxwell

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Yes, you could use a Genesis-style RBA like the RSST on your Silver Bullet. Having used Genesis-style RBA's in the past, I would strongly suggest using instead a Kayfun-style RBA like a Russian 91%. It is a better tank design, easier to build on, and will not have as high of a learning curve as a Genny will.

You could also use a rebuildable drip atomizer like a IGO, Phoenix, Patriot, or Tugboat.

Information Resources for Your First RBA

You already state that you know that you are not supposed to stack batteries. If you are you looking for us to approve of unsafe battery practices you will not find that here. Enough said.

There was a time years ago when some folks stacked batteries for higher voltage in a mechanical mod (like yourself).

With the advent of regulated voltage mods, this practice was no longer necessary nor recommended for mechanical mods. You could also use a Kick in a mechanical mod which would turn a mech into a regulated mod. Both methods are a much safer and effective way to experience higher voltage vaping.

With the advent of rebuildable atomizers, the "experience" of higher voltage could be realized by building sub-ohm coils on mechanical mods, but this necessitated the use of high-drain, safe-chemistry batteries such as IMR and IMR/hybrid batteries capable of providing high amperage (up to 30 amps continuous discharge rate).

Battery Basics for Mods

As stated above, you can indeed use RBA's on your Silver Bullet, but you must not stack the batteries you use as they will not have the amp requirements for a RBA and will surely drive them into thermal runaway. Doing so would be catastrophic!

I build 0.6 ohm coils on a Patriot and IGO-W rebuildable drippers for my two Silver Bullets. HOWEVER, I am NOT STACKING BATTERIES and frankly do not need to with my setup.

I am using a 30 amp battery (Sony 18650 VTC4 2100mah 30 amp battery) which AltSmoke sells, a high-amp/high-drain/safe chemistry battery. I assure you that I am making tons more vapor with this setup than you could ever get stacking batteries with RCR123 batteries and getting at least 3X the battery life with a single battery.

If i was looking for approval, i wouldnt have done it for so many years.

and i was looking to not have to buy more than i already had and has worked. but if thats the case then so be it!

but i do thank you for the better battery amperage info. that may be what will help.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
but let me understand, if I use a kick w the sleeve, with a 18650 wont it be able to give me 6V? which i already have with my set up? what is the difference?
The difference is the Kick requires using high drain batteries (IMR or Li-Mn) and has built-in protective circuitry which will shut itself down should you over-step a battery's safe operating limits and prevent an explosion. It's a much safer way to experience what you're getting with stacked LiPo or ICR batteries. I know that you say you've been stacking the RCR123 batteries for years and not had a battery incident, but just know that these batteries were never designed to handle the higher amp load of a RBA because they are not high drain and have too low amp output.

A RCR123 battery will have an amp rating of less than 2 amps. Amps do not stack like voltage does. Two stacked batteries will have the same amp output as a single battery. An RBA will demand at least 4 amps from a battery, much more if you sub-ohm. You will ruin a Lipo or ICR battery if you use them stacked for use with a RBA, and possibly harm yourself in the process. Use only IMR high drain batteries.

How sub-ohm coils draw more amps from a battery the lower you go:

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw

Last edited:

rocks82

Supplier Associate
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Columbus
www.altsmoke.com
Basically, what baditude says. It's the type of batteries and what they can handle. All batteries have limitations. rcr's have very low limitations with their amp limits. On a rebuildable resistance, the amp limit is dramatically exceeded, causing it to be more likely than not that there will be battery failure and venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread