Cairo,Egypt
I don't understand this

9-Add a drop of acid
10-Swirl to mix
11-If the color of the solution didn't turn pale yellow, repeat 8-9
12-Measure the final volume
13-Subtract 3 from the number you read in step 11
14-Multiply the result of step 12 by 19.4712

Should I subtract 3 from the final volume then multiply by 19.4712 ?? Didn't u mean subtract 3 from number I read in step 12 ??

And btw , the 0.12N SA is dead. Here is the right one
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_reagent_Info.asp?ReagentID=2292

Last edited:

tsunami987

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
Metro East STL
Tried to do some research on some older rainbow pool chem test bottles which I bought... Thought it'd be the right stuff. Then I read that one little part of the op that said not to use total alkalinity test chemicals. The stuff I grabbed is "solution 3" Acid Demand and Total Alkalinity. If my test proved to be right, my nic would be 154mg... I bought 50. Gonna have to wait for the other pool supply store to get the right stuff in before I use this juice at all, lol.

MegaVaper

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
USA
www.megavaper.com
How yellow is pale yellow? will it turn a little yellow until it turns pale yellow, or will it just go directly to pale yellow after enough acid.

Edit: Ive just conducted 2 test. tools - SA 0.1N from wizard labs, BB 0.04 AS from wizard

Test 1: on 100mg/ml pg nic from wizard labs. Result 5.4 x 19.47 = 105.138
Notes: Started almost clear or pale yellow, turned light blue, acid turned it back to its original color. Light blue and pale yellow here where so hard to tell apart as both were almost clear white.

Test 2: on 16mg/ml Pg vanilla from Bloog. Result - i cant *u*kin* tell =[
Notes: This vanilla is a very dark brown. Lighten up alittle with the water and the blue. Looks a like a lighter brown. Started to add acid... Never really turned pale yellow. The shades of brown just kept getting lighter and lighter almost to pale yellow, but could easily just be another shade of brown.

Remarks: There has to be a better way...maybe i will just try it with water instead of acid. Since most liquids are brown im sure ill get the pale yellow.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Adding more blue will increase the color density.
Pale Yellow is the total absence of Green :)
The solution will go from blue to green to no green. Not even a hint of green :)

Flavored juices may impact the acidity in addition to masking the color.

Getting 105mg/ml result from 100mg/ml is exactly what the test is supposed to do.
Measurement accuracy of the Nic added, the volume before the acid, and the volume of acid added, and the yellowness of the yellow impact test results.

If you make 1% accurate measurements, have the solution 'blue enough' you may be able to get within about 3% of the true value. Maybe. With a pH meter and .1% measurements maybe +/-1%.

BTW, I got about 98.5mg/ml from mine .

mrcoolbp

ECF Veteran
Stand back, I'm gonna try some Science:evil:! (Love that!)

Okay, tested a labeled 36mg/ml sample. Came out to 33.1mg/ml ~90% accuracy. Not bad:2cool:. Pics for those interested follow.

Here is the sample just before it indicates yellow:
image.jpg

And two more drops of H2SO4 yielded:
image.jpg

Notes: the original instructions aren't worded exactly as someone pointed out but if you follow the example it will make sense. Also I tested "House Blend" from CopperCreek which is a medium brown eliquid with no problems discerning color, so it can be done (possibly depending on how dark in color your sample is or presence of acid).

Last edited:

Johnnysb

Moved On
Sep 25, 2013
San Jose, CA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Linkspammer

dahlialady

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
Montreal
Last edited: