Simple MTL builds... Have a favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I have been experimenting with builds for my Toptank rba. I usually go with 28g kanthal with 8 wraps and a 2.5mm diameter. That leaves lots of room for cotton to fill in the gap. I just tried using 26g kanthal again with 8 wraps and 2.5mm diameter and have more coil mass, and less room for cotton.

I'm trying to get the best build for flavor and not really noticing a difference yet. Is more coil mass better for flavor? Does it matter?

Anywho... Does anyone have a favorite build they like best?

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
I find that my builds change due to the juice I am using.. not by very much though.. 28g 2.5id 7-9wraps. 7-8 wraps for more of fruit type juices or desert.. but I have been recently getting into some potent menthols lately and I will go for a 9- 10 wrap to bring it up to the 1.8ohm range on a KF with very tight airflow 18mg nic.. for a super TP build.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I have been experimenting with builds for my Toptank RBA. I usually go with 28g kanthal with 8 wraps and a 2.5mm diameter. That leaves lots of room for cotton to fill in the gap. I just tried using 26g kanthal again with 8 wraps and 2.5mm diameter and have more coil mass, and less room for cotton.

I'm trying to get the best build for flavor and not really noticing a difference yet. Is more coil mass better for flavor? Does it matter?

Anywho... Does anyone have a favorite build they like best?
I've been trying to emulate the great flavor of a Myjet pod coil on my KF Mini V3 clone. The pod is 31 awg Nichrome 80, 7 wrap spaced 1.5mm coil, ~ 1.3 ohms by my measurements and steam engine calcs, though I've seen it spec'd as 28 awg kanthal there's no way that's true. I've used 1.5 mm diameter Nichrome 80 30 & 31 awg, kanthal 28 & 30, then 2mm (better for wicking in the KF Mini V3), then SS in both 2 and 2.5 mm diameter 7 wrap spaced. Flavor wise all were good but The SS 2.5 mm 7 wrap spaced 30 awg 1.2 ohm makes wicking better for me and more vapor than the smaller diameters, vaping at 9.5 W. I just prefer spaced coils for flavor and think they're better even at lower ohms hence only 7 wraps. I like a tighter draw for MTL. I haven't succeeded in getting the flavor of a Myjet pod yet but I know at least part of the secret is in the tight draw with very small air holes and small coil chamber resulting in denser vapor at low power. I have some vape bands on order and plan to cover 2 or 3 of the 4 air holes on the outside of the KFV3, covering them with my fingers does result in a denser vapor. I will probably order some 28awg SS and see how that does as well though I don't think it will be any different than kanthal from the trials I've made thus far.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I go for a 3.0 ID coil if I can fit it. It gets a little more juice flow. But still just 26g Kanthal. I have played around with much of it all other than TC coils. I guess I have settled in with what works for me.
I used some 3mm on my KF V5 clone since it has a larger deck than the V3. That's probably good for high VG too though with my high pg anything from 1.5 to 3 works lol

Reactions: Opinionated

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
I've been trying to emulate the great flavor of a Myjet pod coil on my KF Mini V3 clone. The pod is 31 awg Nichrome 80, 7 wrap spaced 1.5mm coil, ~ 1.3 ohms by my measurements and steam engine calcs, though I've seen it spec'd as 28 awg kanthal there's no way that's true. I've used 1.5 mm diameter Nichrome 80 30 & 31 awg, kanthal 28 & 30, then 2mm (better for wicking in the KF Mini V3), then SS in both 2 and 2.5 mm diameter 7 wrap spaced. Flavor wise all were good but The SS 2.5 mm 7 wrap spaced 30 awg 1.2 ohm makes wicking better for me and more vapor than the smaller diameters, vaping at 9.5 W. I just prefer spaced coils for flavor and think they're better even at lower ohms hence only 7 wraps. I like a tighter draw for MTL. I haven't succeeded in getting the flavor of a Myjet pod yet but I know at least part of the secret is in the tight draw with very small air holes and small coil chamber resulting in denser vapor at low power. I have some vape bands on order and plan to cover 2 or 3 of the 4 air holes on the outside of the KFV3, covering them with my fingers does result in a denser vapor. I will probably order some 28awg SS and see how that does as well though I don't think it will be any different than kanthal from the trials I've made thus far.

Putting a small drip tip (about 1mm) on my toptank really kicked up the flavor and made it much more mtl friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
For 18 months I was wraping 28 guage stainless to 1.4 ohms and firing at 30 max watts in TC. Then I noticed on steam engine that making the same resistance with 30 guage got to the same heat flux with half the watts. That means a bit less vapor too but that's fine by me. I tried 30 guage at 1.0 ohm but then I have to keep the coil in my RDA heavily saturated all the time to get a decent vape. Still trying to figure this stuff out.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
7 wraps of 30ga on the little blue screwdriver is 1.7ohms :blink:

littlebluescrew.jpg

has served me well for 3+ years

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I have found that more coil mass is better for flavor, personally. I get the best flavor from a 24 or 26 gauge kanthal... a 28 gauge coil I find the flavor more muted.

I don't know how many wraps, to be perfectly honest I consistently loose count whenever I try to count, so I don't count how many wraps.. but oddly, I consistently get a 1.4 ohm (or at least in that general vicinity) coil every time.. lol..

But yeah, I do vape at around 12 watts, so it takes slightly more wattage, but I enjoy the flavor in this place..

Domejunky

Feb 28, 2017
27g 7 wraps around 1/8. Comes out at 1.25 & great on my toptank. I just put the same build in my new kayfun clone. Flavor is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
27g is the magic number. If you use the advanced tab in Steam Engine it shows surface area for the coil. I found the trick is to balance the 'Heat Capacity' number with the 'Surface Area'

If I keep the heat capacity in the low 20s it gives an almost instant on vape. If I get the surface area above 100 it gives enough density

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
For 18 months I was wraping 28 guage stainless to 1.4 ohms and firing at 30 max watts in TC. Then I noticed on steam engine that making the same resistance with 30 guage got to the same heat flux with half the watts. That means a bit less vapor too but that's fine by me. I tried 30 guage at 1.0 ohm but then I have to keep the coil in my RDA heavily saturated all the time to get a
I used to build for resistance, but now I build to the power and heatflux (cool) I like to use. Steam Engine is such a great tool, but took me a while to really understand it, but worth it when I finally did.

Reactions: zoiDman

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I have found that more coil mass is better for flavor, personally. I get the best flavor from a 24 or 26 gauge kanthal... a 28 gauge coil I find the flavor more muted.

I don't know how many wraps, to be perfectly honest I consistently loose count whenever I try to count, so I don't count how many wraps.. but oddly, I consistently get a 1.4 ohm (or at least in that general vicinity) coil every time.. lol..

But yeah, I do vape at around 12 watts, so it takes slightly more wattage, but I enjoy the flavor in this place..
Comparing my vape at different coil sizes on my KF V3 Mini clone to my Myjet pod mod (31 AWG Nichrome 80 by my measurements), I believe air flow is a big factor in vapor density and flavor. The myjet has great flavor and a very tight draw. But you're right, I have to use a larger coil diameter to get decent vapor and flavor in my KF V3 mini, since it has more air flow, though I usually go 28 AWG in kanthal and have the air flow screw closed off as far as it will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread