Since Russ got a new car. Post your favorite mode on transportation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew1961

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Noblesville, IN
Well my mistress of the last 16 years has been my 1998 Toyota T100 4wd. She's mildly lifted, air-lockers front+rear and wears 10ga plate steel front, back and below. She's what keeps me from getting lost in the electronic hardware work I've been doing these past 20+ years. I've been tempted to sell her a few times but with just 120K on the clock, I can't bring myself to buy something new when this has been paid off for at least 12 years and has every cool upgrade you could imagine wanting in a truck. Internal snorkel and lots of other goodies I won't bore you with but she'd feel right at home with the previously posted tank.

The parking lot queen
T1002014_zpsftnlzftj.jpg

My girl right before we headed into the slab garden. ARBs locked and loaded for bear! Okay so it's not the Golden Crack but it was an adventure for my daily driver!
AtticaGardening_zpsikr2yipr.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
And since we're on page2, I can post my '72 454 Vette without having it next to Spydo's beautiful Vette.

View attachment 455569 View attachment 455570

If Papa_L was watching, was going to mention "another orange

transgression
errr, adventure.

Ahh, happy days. (1979)

Thanks for the props, but to someone like me that has had quite a few '58's & '59's, a '63 SW and this '73 there is no such thing as an early Corvette that is not beautiful to my eyes and ears.

Puzzled though... while the '72 and '73 basically share the same Mako Shark/Coke Bottle profile and "some" other features, the '73 was the model year that resolved/changed/updated the issues with the earlier C3's, and was a one year body design. So I have to ask if you have a '73 LS-4 that is registered as a '72? Maybe because it shipped new to Euro in the fall of '72 when the '73's started to become available? Or maybe a '72 with a complete '73 front end put on it after a crash? The '73 was the only C3 with a chrome rear bumper/soft nose front (making it 2" longer than a '72), and has that exact style fender vent your ride has that was formed into the fiberglass fenders. The '72 has chrome rear and front bumpers/trim with rectangular cast grill fender vents. Hmmm.

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
Thanks for the props, but to someone like me that has had quite a few '58's & '59's, a '63 SW and this '73 there is no such thing as an early Corvette that is not beautiful to my eyes and ears.

Puzzled though... while the '72 and '73 basically share the same Mako Shark/Coke Bottle profile and "some" other features, the '73 was the model year that resolved/changed/updated the issues with the earlier C3's, and was a one year body design. So I have to ask if you have a '73 LS-4 that is registered as a '72? Maybe because it shipped new to Euro in the fall of '72 when the '73's started to become available? Or maybe a '72 with a complete '73 front end put on it after a crash? The '73 was the only C3 with a chrome rear bumper/soft nose front (making it 2" longer than a '72), and has that exact style fender vent your ride has that was formed into the fiberglass fenders. The '72 has chrome rear and front bumpers/trim with rectangular cast grill fender vents. Hmmm.

I agree, not a one that doesn't look and sound great !
Can't help with pinning the designation down tho, I bought it as 3rd owner in '79 in Jeddah and ran it for 5yrs, LS-4 rings some faint bells though. (were rectangular exhaust tips a clue ?) so agree that it is probably a '73, new front end wouldn't have been likely, car repair was primitive in a place where they would usually scrap it and buy a new one.
In Saudi Arabia the Chevvy importer would typically order 50 of one model, couple of 100's of another (Chevy Caprice was the favourite sedan those days) and the cars would sit around until they were sold. Had a Saudi colleague translate the registration doc for me but it only gave name/rank/serial number without model year and when sold new it could have been a couple of years old.
Only car I've owned that would spin the rears in any gear at any speed, good thing tyres were cheap.
Sold it when I was returning to UK, faced with UK petrol (gas) prices and the 'vette only doing around 9mpg, say 10USmpg.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
here' my daily driver, it's a mercedes R500 with all the options and as usual for me, it's still under construction :) it's a nice powerful beast and the first thing I did to it was customize the dash to hold an in dash android touchscreen for nav and entertainment, then I modified the suspension to lower and stiffen it up, swapped out to 20" amg wheels with oversized tires and added a set of monster brembo's, 8 piston monoblocks in the front with 15.4" rotors, 4 piston out back. this thing goes, stops and turns on a dime and drives like a euro sport sedan. I love this thing so much that there is virtually NO car I'd want to ever replace it with, nothing else out there quite like this beast in size comfort and agility, but the nose was really fugly so I'm building a new bumper for it, then I'll build a rear and mod the side skirts too for a more aggressive yet one of a kind type look. it's ugly now but that front will look sick when it's done :)

20150419_160245_zps1fptsq7w.jpg

20150419_160958_zpsen4mzmtc.jpg

20150419_160447_zpswu1x4obg.jpg

and here's one of my toys, this one is more aggressive than the mercedes and much lighter too, this one is undergoing a custom twin turbo conversion atm :)

127324a70e5a5a40c8.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0747zoom.jpg

this one corners so hard on the track that it can lift the front inner wheel off the ground :)

IMG_0752.jpg

turbocad-6-sm.jpg

the new HR motor with custom twin turbo setup, I built the whole turbo setup myself from scratch because none of the turbo kits out there take advantage of all the extra space this car has. the twin turbo setups available for this motor are made to fit into a 350Z (same motor) and because space is so tight on a 350z they wind up just making too many compromises in the plumbing and turbo placement, they tuck the turbos down under the motor and the plumbing is a mess. I designed this for the shortest intercooler piping and the most efficiency to take advantage of all of the extra underhood space

DSC_0638.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I agree, not a one that doesn't look and sound great !
Can't help with pinning the designation down tho, I bought it as 3rd owner in '79 in Jeddah and ran it for 5yrs, LS-4 rings some faint bells though. (were rectangular exhaust tips a clue ?) so agree that it is probably a '73, new front end wouldn't have been likely, car repair was primitive in a place where they would usually scrap it and buy a new one.
In Saudi Arabia the Chevvy importer would typically order 50 of one model, couple of 100's of another (Chevy Caprice was the favourite sedan those days) and the cars would sit around until they were sold. Had a Saudi colleague translate the registration doc for me but it only gave name/rank/serial number without model year and when sold new it could have been a couple of years old.
Only car I've owned that would spin the rears in any gear at any speed, good thing tyres were cheap.
Sold it when I was returning to UK, faced with UK petrol (gas) prices and the 'vette only doing around 9mpg, say 10USmpg.

I have no doubt yours was a '73, your calling it a '72 is what threw me. Mine was sold new here in Vegas in late '72, started life Orange Metallic w/saddle leather interior but was soon customized into the Elvis Stingray with the wild existing paint/mural and plush cloth interior (leather can be a serious no-no with a convertible/T-Top coupe when you live on a hot desert). I referred to mine as my 100 mile ride. On the highway with my foot out of it I could make it about a 100 miles between gas stations.

The '73's LS-4 replaced the '72's LS-5 that had replaced the '71's LS-6. The difference between all of them is a long list not important here, but in part a product of the early 70's energy crisis/fuel embargo. Both had rectangular exhaust trim kits (one of those shared features I mentioned). The easiest to notice appearance differences is what I pointed out... the fender vents and nose. This pic shows them and other differences between the 2 model years...

72v73.jpg

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
I have no doubt yours was a '73, your calling it a '72 is what threw me. Mine was sold new here in Vegas in late '72, started life Orange Metallic w/saddle leather interior but was soon customized into the Elvis Stingray with the wild existing paint/mural and plush cloth interior (leather can be a serious no-no with a convertible/T-Top coupe when you live on a hot desert). I referred to mine as my 100 mile ride. On the highway with my foot out of it I could make it about a 100 miles between gas stations.

The '73's LS-4 replaced the '72's LS-5 that had replaced the '71's LS-6. The difference between all of them is a long list not important here, but in part a product of the early 70's energy crisis/fuel embargo. Both had rectangular exhaust trim kits (one of those shared features I mentioned). The easiest to notice appearance differences is what I pointed out... the fender vents and nose. This pic shows them and other differences between the 2 model years...

72v73.jpg
I agree, '73 it was then and thanks for the extra pics and clarification.
Now and again would drive out from NYC to Franklin Square, and between Belmont race-track and Franklin Sq was Corvette City, often stopped off and drooled a while.
My buddy let me drive his '68 Vette down to Jones Beach and back, never dreamed I would get my own one day.
Offered my wife (pictured) a ride round the housing compound, she sat in, started it, tried to engage 1st and asked where the clutch lock was...no, just press harder honey. Abandoned ride.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I agree, '73 it was then and thanks for the extra pics and clarification.
Now and again would drive out from NYC to Franklin Square, and between Belmont race-track and Franklin Sq was Corvette City, often stopped off and drooled a while.
My buddy let me drive his '68 Vette down to Jones Beach and back, never dreamed I would get my own one day.
Offered my wife (pictured) a ride round the housing compound, she sat in, started it, tried to engage 1st and asked where the clutch lock was...no, just press harder honey. Abandoned ride.
:laugh:

I bought the 63 SW and did Route 66 end to end with a buddy because of the TV show... was going to do it again in the 73 a few years ago but never did.

In the very early 70's all four of my rides where sports cars (58 & 59 Vettes, a '67 Austin Healey 3000 Roadster). I sold the custom built BJ8 it to a car collector for over 3 times what I paid for it that had the 53 Corvette Nomad Wagon prototype in his collection & he let me drive it. And as of about 8-9 years ago I know who has that Healey now in the SF Bay Area. He offered it as available anytime I want it for as long as I want within reason to drive down the coast to my old haunts in Carmel where I lived the years I owned it... 'if" I bring the 73 for him to play with. I never made it back to CA to take him up on the offer before I parked the 73 though. His offer was the consolation prize when he refused to sell it to me for any price, literally. Anyway, here's a pic he sent me of my 67 that is still in the pristine condition it was when I sold it decades ago.

67ah.jpg

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Current ride wasn't chosen, it's POS.
Most fun cars?

a) My fist car, of course. '72 Chevy Nova.
1972_Chevrolet_Nova.jpg

b) A Mazda 626 - makes the list only because I took if from my boss when he ran out of cash in a poker game and threw the keys into a pot.

c) MGB. Bought it, drove it about 3 or 4 years, sold it for same price.
'79 I think. Had soft top, hard top, tonneau...
1469485.jpg

d) '87 Honda CRX. Just an overall good car...
ae1wro.jpg

e) The MR2. Didn't have it long enough...went from new to 120,000 miles in like 3 years
1347546060.jpg

dwroblewski

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Omaha, NE
I think I remember seeing an old thread a long time ago like this but i couldn't find it. In celebration of Russ getting a widowmaker (she may never feed him again) post up your car. Here is mine, got it about 3 months ago now. 2015 accord el-l v6. Lowered it and put 20 inch wheels on it. It's a good family mobile with a little pep. 290hp or so.

Nice! I had a 2013 Accord V6, but traded it in a couple months ago for 2015 Accord Hybrid. Miss the power, but love getting 50mpg...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I see a lot of sports cars in this thread and most of you appear to be in the US of A. Now I can understand BIG cars, trucks, SUVs, vans, but sports cars? Why? You may be on a track every now and then, but everyday, on the street? What do you use them for?

My experience with american visitors in Germany is that they usually start to feel uncomfortable beyond 80 or 90 mph on the passenger seat - and you can do that with any car, really.

I've been driving Saabs for most of my life - my current one is a 1997 9-5 2l.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Chris, there's something so American about red light racing (racing the person next to you away from a stop light).

I am uncomfortable in the passenger seat at pretty much any speed - I prefer the very back seat of my wife's mini van where there's no doors and I can chill. I'm pretty sure she exceeds 80 on long stretches of the highway but I don't even notice :)

I brought my rig up to 100 yesterday In the distance from the beginning of the on ramp to the entrance of the highway. Then I slowed down to old man pace.

I can say there's something invigorating about knowing that "you can" when it comes to muscle but rarely ever "do". Kinda like having 4 wheel drive in a truck - only cooler :)

Plus the sound this thing makes when prodded is better than music :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread