Since Russ got a new car. Post your favorite mode on transportation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honigschmidt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2011
Sacramento Ca
It's been a couple of years since I took it out, but by far my favorite ride is on my Trike. I am disabled so I never got that freedom feeling of a bike or motorcycle growing up. Now that I am a grownup I afforded myself a Silverwing with Trike Kit on it. Minus bumps that make you pray to God for a quick death, there is nothing like being on a motorcycle.

Wife and I
463375_3849351433425_1773196513_o.jpg

Picture wife took while on the back.
336337_4151801514488_1320399418_o.jpg

And artistic one just to show off :p
266097_4152539772944_616811029_o.jpg

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
I see a lot of sports cars in this thread and most of you appear to be in the US of A. Now I can understand BIG cars, trucks, SUVs, vans, but sports cars? Why? You may be on a track every now and then, but everyday, on the street? What do you use them for?

My experience with american visitors in Germany is that they usually start to feel uncomfortable beyond 80 or 90 mph on the passenger seat - and you can do that with any car, really.

I've been driving Saabs for most of my life - my current one is a 1997 9-5 2l.
I have two large dogs....labs who think of me as doggie taxi....I love small cars but they don't fit...Hehe

To be honest, the turbo part is for my enjoyment....love to zoom zoom.

jburbs38

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2013
Taftville, CT, United States
Chris, there's something so American about red light racing (racing the person next to you away from a stop light).

I am uncomfortable in the passenger seat at pretty much any speed - I prefer the very back seat of my wife's mini van where there's no doors and I can chill. I'm pretty sure she exceeds 80 on long stretches of the highway but I don't even notice :)

I brought my rig up to 100 yesterday In the distance from the beginning of the on ramp to the entrance of the highway. Then I slowed down to old man pace.

I can say there's something invigorating about knowing that "you can" when it comes to muscle but rarely ever "do". Kinda like having 4 wheel drive in a truck - only cooler :)

Plus the sound this thing makes when prodded is better than music :)

Second all that SuperX. I use the GT in short spurts. There is something about getting on the on ramp to the highway and not worrying about merging, I'm up to speed before I reach the highway. My only concern is what is in front of me. And the sound, Oh that sweet rumble of the 5.0 litre. It's like heaven!

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I see a lot of sports cars in this thread and most of you appear to be in the US of A. Now I can understand BIG cars, trucks, SUVs, vans, but sports cars? Why? You may be on a track every now and then, but everyday, on the street? What do you use them for?

My experience with american visitors in Germany is that they usually start to feel uncomfortable beyond 80 or 90 mph on the passenger seat - and you can do that with any car, really.

I track my GTI every week during the Summer and Fall. I'm German and my life long dream has been to travel to Germany and drive the Autobahn. This is why I purchased a German car. Sie sind das beste. :)

And as SuperX said, out here it tends more to be about 0-100kmh than anything. Granted theres not much skill involved anymore (it used to be about who was the more talented shifter but these dual-clutch automatic transmissions these days...), there's nothing like pulling up to a stoplight with an equally competitive car and knowing it's on.

Also, hauling *** on the onramp to the highway is always a blast.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Hihi - I guess my age shows. I greatly prefer a comfortable sedan with an adequate engine to cruise at 130-160 km/h to a sports car that tells my bones everything about every bump and hole in the road. I remember a couple years ago I had to use a Porsche 911 on a business trip (the leasing company wanted to do me a favor). It was fun for 5 minutes, then I hated the car and I was relieved when I could give it back.

There's one thing my father taught me about driving: "Any idiot can drive fast - A good driver is one who doesn't have to use the brakes."

But I have to apologize for the intrusion, I was just genuinely curious.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

Uncomfortable beyond 80-90mph might depend on what era they are from. When you get your first hot rod and bike in the 50's, more of them and muscle cars after, the need for speed is what you grew up with. Back then we didn't have what later generations had to keep them entertained... all we had was fast cars/bikes/girls/music/suds, and they all went hand in hand. My street racing turned into drag strip racing, a short stint of land speed, another short at road racing, but by the early 70's they just became rides that I Iike to own and drive. Maybe some of us from that era never really grew up. I've had them all my life along with classic cars/trucks/bikes/boats.

As for speed, the '73 Corvette I have now wouldn't outrun some of the rice burners on the road let along all the Italian Stallions (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, et al) and other high end sports jobs around here. So having it is just for the memories and enjoyment when out cruising in it. 95 South is our "Autobahn" in this city, at times if you are not doing 100+ you'll get ran over by IS's doing up to twice plus that. This state probably held on to the no posted max highway speed state wide longer than any other in the US, still has endless miles of deserted two lane highway's where you can get away with it despite the posted max being 75mph now on freeways/70 on undivided rural highways. In this city metro doesn't bother speeders much if they are not driving reckless, in a school or construction zone. Kind of a waste of time when you can get them knocked down to a parking ticket for a fee (was $50 years ago, no idea now). This state also still allows organized no max speed races on some rural highways closed off to the public on race days (like the Silver State Classic that is 90 miles of SR318 with so many blind turns, dips and bumps, etc that sometimes there are major crashes and occasionally a driver killed). As a kid when growing up I always thought I'd die in a car crash, but it'll be my military service from the mid 60's that will.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
I track my GTI every week during the Summer and Fall. I'm German and my life long dream has been to travel to Germany and drive the Autobahn. This is why I purchased a German car. Sie sind das beste. :)

And as SuperX said, out here it tends more to be about 0-100kmh than anything. Granted theres not much skill involved anymore (it used to be about who was the more talented shifter but these dual-clutch automatic transmissions these days...), there's nothing like pulling up to a stoplight with an equally competitive car and knowing it's on.

Also, hauling *** on the onramp to the highway is always a blast.

My Mother lives in Munich Germany and I have visited numerous times and I gotta say the Autobahn is simply the best, safest roadway in the world! Don' know why the US can't get their stuff together and build a super highway system. We are so far behind!
I remember cruising in the MIDDLE lane at 240km/hr ( 144mph) and seemed liked I was just taking a leisurely cruise as everyone is going that fast. The left lane was for supercars only. Never any lane hoggers in the left lane in Germany like they do here as they would get run off the road. They take their driving serious! Driving gloves, special lights, road handling modifications etc. Never any lane changes with out signals or texting while driving at 150mph! Only thing is when they do have accidents ambulances and tow trucks not needed, lifestar helicopters and just something to scrape up the pieces!

Reactions: Cullin Kin

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Some good looking rides in this thread! Here's my favorite mode of trasportation, who am I kidding it's my only mode. But I like "putting" around town in it all the same. :D
20150513_132105.jpg

2006 Mustang GT Automatic Vista Blue w/ Performance White racing stripes - Ford Racing CAI, Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, TCI Streetfighter 3000 RPM Stall Torque Converter, Pypes X-Pipe and Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers. Custom tuned by Bama Performance. This was the first car I ever got to buy brand new off the lot and had the stripes painted on when I bought it and have been working on it ever since.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I went from 85 to 106 mph in about 3 seconds today on a safe stretch of the highway :)

My sons first time ever going 100 .

My first time going faster than 100 in many years. Hell, up until last week, I barely drove the speed limit on the highway, usually camped in the right lane going with the slow flow. Last week I went from zero to 100 in about, what, 9 seconds on a short on ramp to the highway.

The highway has become my biatch. I have been up and down it to the perimeter multiple times today - even at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread