Status
Not open for further replies.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Consider easing back on the vaping in the days/hours leading up to the gig. It's still hot vapor that isn't great for the body. Higher nic might help prevent desire to chain vape. Then you can chain vape when you get off stage ;)

Few more tips you probably already know: room-temp (or better hot/warm) water with honey/lemon (no cold water!). Warm up your voice properly. Don't drink coffee or caffeine in hours before a gig. Caffeine and cold liquid constrict vocal chords. No milk or thick liquids.

This is some SOUND advice lol. I entertain most every night of the week and drink only room temp water on stage. If I am having any issue I use a pastille called Euphon which contains Glycerol (VG) as already mentioned. I vape very occasionally during performances and my liquids are minimum 50/50; high PG dries the throat too much. In theory, vaping high VG juices on stage should help plus adds a nice mist effect to the stage lights for which you can charge extra:D

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
Excellent! I'll have him ask his doc about aquoral.

I just looked up Singer's Saving Grace - I worried that most sprays would be just honey... this is apparently VG and osha root? (I had already wondered about VG - but I thought it would be too short lived to be of any use... hmmm) I'm ordering some to give it a try! THANK YOU!!

There is an OTC spray for dry mouth called Biotene. It also comes in gel form and works pretty well for dry throat.

Reactions: KattMamma

jcco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
There may or still is a spray called Chloroseptic [I think that's what it's called/spelled]. It's an OTC spray for sore throats & remember that it works really well.
My brother in law is a professional opera singer that had vocal chord probs. & I told him about it. He uses it when he sings & swears by it.
I think I've seen their lozenges too. You might want to give it a try.

Hope that helps.

JC

Last edited:

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Musician here also, and my lung capacity and endurance on the trumpet has increased dramatically. My voice, however (tho I'm not claiming to be a singer by any stretch) is also noticeably more raspy. Water seems to be falling short for me as well, but I do drink more of it lately.

Robino, one of the moderators here, is also a singer if I'm not mistaken. I think she's had some success keeping the dryness under control. Hoping she'll see this and chime in.......

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
I have the same problem. I sing on demo recordings (a lot) for composers.

Here's what I did: Learn how to rebuild (make your own coils), and switch to 100% VG. Get a rebuildable that has lots of airflow so you can draw in with out any back pressure. Back pressure seems to make me cough from irritation. Dunno why, just does.

That, and lots of hydration makes all the difference to me. And I am a "tenderthroat", by any measure.

Hope this helps!
-Johntodd

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Thank you all for the advice - I will pass it all on to hubby and hopefully one of these ideas will work for him. Vape on!!
QiQ7J1y.gif

Reactions: juicynoos

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
There may or still is a spray called Chloroseptic [I think that's what it's called/spelled]. It's an OTC spray for sore throats & remember that it works really well.
My brother in law is a professional opera singer that had vocal chord probs. & I told him about it. He uses it when he sings & swears by it.
I think I've seen their lozenges too. You might want to give it a try.

Hope that helps.

JC

Yes they still make chloreseptic spray as well as losenges.

Markill

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Connecticut
I am hugely into theater, so singing is kinda necessary for me. Something I used before vaping, and use even more now, is an herbal tea called Throat Coat. It also comes in lozenges. Doesn't taste the best to me, but brew a strong cup of the stuff, throw in some honey, and your throat will feel like magic. It's an organic tea, so you can look for it in any sort of organic food shop, and the like. I had a tough time finding it, my mother was actually the one to find it.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I took vocal lessons to keep my upper range and my teacher made me drink lemon water. Just lemons and water. Kinda bitter but you don't dry out for reasons I know not. And stay away from any sugars as they can cause phlegm. Alcohol will dry out your throat and we all know that smoking will end your career. Vape on.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Musician here also, and my lung capacity and endurance on the trumpet has increased dramatically. My voice, however (tho I'm not claiming to be a singer by any stretch) is also noticeably more raspy. Water seems to be falling short for me as well, but I do drink more of it lately.

Robino, one of the moderators here, is also a singer if I'm not mistaken. I think she's had some success keeping the dryness under control. Hoping she'll see this and chime in.......
I stay away from any caffeine. No alcohol and I go through a lot of water.
I'm not doing much singing these days, too much drama for me, but I still sing around the house ;)

Biotene does work for dry mouth. Gum will help create saliva. Since Katmamma's hubby is doing some major sweating before hand, that probably isn't helping. Make sure he is hydrating long before the gig. That might help counteract the sweat he is losing.

When you find the key, let us know what works for him :)

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Most of the time and if I have a choice I work outdoors in the summer heat all day long in TX, southern OK, LA, NM, AZ, NV, southern CA.

What works best for me is; I mix 1 32oz bottle of gatoraide and 32oz of water (50/50).
I pour it into empty bottles to make 4 almost full bottles.
I carry a 3 gallon industrial water jug /cooler filled with water and drink 2-4 bottles of water to every bottle of the 50/50 mix. I alternate between plain water & 50/50 so the 50/50 lasts most if not all day.

IMO, The most important thing is to hydrate before exertion or thirst, like drink one bottle of 50/50 on the way to the gig, water while setting up, then another 50/50, then alternate between the 50/50 and water.

Some folks I know that sing swear by the 50/50 mix and sugar free hard candy.
------
The short version is try 50% water 50% gatoraide mix and hydrate before during & after exertion.
^^^^This, this this!^^^^

Used to work as a wildland firefighter and it got a bit toasty out there. It takes several days to get yourself fully hydrated. You can't just drink a bunch of water and rehydrate yourself. I learned the hard way, several times, lol. Your husband should start drinking more fluids several days before he sets up and then stay hydrated throughout the day. When you are thirsty, you're already starting to dehydrate.

Since my singing voice sounds like a hoarse squirrel at best, I've no advice to offer in that area but it looks like many knowledgeable have contributed in that area.

Wonder what Robin sounds like when she sings.

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
i don't sing.. but i'm a piper. i play, or rather used to play until 3 yrs ago great highland bagpipes. used to smoke 2 packs a day and still played in competition band. one of my teacher back in 80's was this old gent.. was in his 80's from scotland. he smoked unfiltered camel.. 3 packs a day. too much commitments and i'm just not good at managing my time to have a family, a job and be in the competition band all at the same time. so piping went.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Thanks again guys - he's always drank lots of water and gatorade - never thought about mixing them but he alternates. Not sure he's starting well in advance, so I will push that idea!!
When you find the key, let us know what works for him
Not sure there is a key, but am just hoping for an improvement in the situation. Plus he's a bit hard-headed, so he's probably not going to want to try the gum, but maybe some of the other suggestions. If we learn anything, I'll definitely share.
Wonder what Robin sounds like when she sings.
A beautiful song bird? :)

Jorge22

ECF Veteran
I haven't sang much lately but from what I can tell (I took up vaping and quit smoking 4 and a half years ago), my singing has improved in some ways which I can't explain but at the same time, sometimes, it seems to be the opposite. I'm really not sure... It could be lack of practice - I used to sing daily and now, for quite a while, it's not like that at all.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I haven't sang much lately but from what I can tell (I took up vaping and quit smoking 4 and a half years ago), my singing has improved in some ways which I can't explain but at the same time, sometimes, it seems to be the opposite. I'm really not sure... It could be lack of practice - I used to sing daily and now, for quite a while, it's not like that at all.
You may be experiencing the same thing as my husband - better lung capacity, better vocal range, but issues with vocal control due to dry mucous membranes in the mouth and throat.

Reactions: Jorge22

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hey @KattMamma I'm a singer and I have always stood by licorice tea with honey, and also pineapple juice is awesome. I too have noticed my vocals are a lot better since I quit smoking. I can now hit ranges I use to hit when I was in my late teens and early twenties. As Thespis mentions above the better air flow is a huge factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread