Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtimeweb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Texas
Hello

I need help figuring out wire and ohms for a single coil on a pico squeeze. My main objective is flavor with decent and battery life. It ships with dual claptons at 0.4. I'd like to try a single coil pulse 22 on it, and need your brains to help with the coil selection.

The Pico Squeeze is
Output wattage: 50W max
Resistance range: 0.15ohm-3.5ohm
Single Cell type: Samsung 30Q

It has Short-circuit Protection when the resistance is less than 0.15ohm, as well as Low-voltage Protection and shuts off when the voltage of the device is below 3.3V

Type of wire:
Ive been digging for days for information. People complain about the amount of time the clapton coils it comes with take to heat. Its my understanding that I should try a wire that heats up quicker and also I guess doesn't change resistance when heated (SS)? So after hours and hours of digging I THINK I should be aiming for Kanthal A1? My favorite websites MFS and MVS don't specify their Kanthol. So when I'm in steam engine I don't know what to put for wire type - there's three different Kanthol selections. How do I know?

Also...does gauge selection have any effect on flavor?

Twist?
I think I know the answer here, but if I get twisted wire, this increases heat time, yes? I'm only interested in this possibility due to reports of better flavor.

OHM / Watts / Volts and Steam Engine
If I vape heavier VG, should I be looking at sub ohm resistance to produce best flavor and clean burn? I was thinking somewhere around .5. How does this affect battery life?
When I mess around in steam engine the last section on right lists labeled Heat Flux (watts and volts) for settings of regulated mods. I understand were talking about temperature of vapor produced, but are there any parameters here that should be targeted to be battery friendly?

Temperature preferences:

I normally vape teas, milks, and light bakery stuff. Anywhere from 80 to 50 VG. Anyone have a recommendation on general target of temp for these types for best flavor? There's probably a lot more that goes into this question but I thought I would give it a stab :)

I know this is a lot of questions. Thanks for making it this far and thanks in advance for any help.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Twisted wire does signifcantly increase mass, and thus ramp up time.

Typically, unless otherwise specified, Kanthal is A1.

Heat flux is not the warmth of the vapor, but how much heat is generated in the wires at a given voltage/wattage. I build to around 240-250. To achieve that heat flux in a single coil with a quick ramp up, I'd recommend a 7 wrap 3 mm 24 awg Nichrome 80 build. That'll come in around 0.4 ohms... should give you decent battery life.

When calculating builds on the Pico Squeeze, do not use the wattage rating... that's a nonsense rating on that device as it's unregulated. Instead, use the nominal voltage of 3.7 V.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello

I need help figuring out wire and ohms for a single coil on a pico squeeze. My main objective is flavor with decent and battery life. It ships with dual claptons at 0.4. I'd like to try a single coil pulse 22 on it, and need your brains to help with the coil selection.

The Pico Squeeze is
Output wattage: 50W max
Resistance range: 0.15ohm-3.5ohm
Single Cell type: Samsung 30Q

It has Short-circuit Protection when the resistance is less than 0.15ohm, as well as Low-voltage Protection and shuts off when the voltage of the device is below 3.3V

Type of wire:
Ive been digging for days for information. People complain about the amount of time the clapton coils it comes with take to heat. Its my understanding that I should try a wire that heats up quicker and also I guess doesn't change resistance when heated (SS)? So after hours and hours of digging I THINK I should be aiming for Kanthal A1? My favorite websites MFS and MVS don't specify their Kanthol. So when I'm in steam engine I don't know what to put for wire type - there's three different Kanthol selections. How do I know?

Also...does gauge selection have any effect on flavor?

Twist?
I think I know the answer here, but if I get twisted wire, this increases heat time, yes? I'm only interested in this possibility due to reports of better flavor.

OHM / Watts / Volts and Steam Engine
If I vape heavier VG, should I be looking at sub ohm resistance to produce best flavor and clean burn? I was thinking somewhere around .5. How does this affect battery life?
When I mess around in steam engine the last section on right lists labeled Heat Flux (watts and volts) for settings of regulated mods. I understand were talking about temperature of vapor produced, but are there any parameters here that should be targeted to be battery friendly?

Temperature preferences:

I normally vape teas, milks, and light bakery stuff. Anywhere from 80 to 50 VG. Anyone have a recommendation on general target of temp for these types for best flavor? There's probably a lot more that goes into this question but I thought I would give it a stab :)

I know this is a lot of questions. Thanks for making it this far and thanks in advance for any help.

I'm pretty much a Single Coil Flavor Chaser. And I have a Pico Squeeze in my Daily rotation of Mech and Semi-Mech Squonkers.

I mostly use plain old Single Wire 26ga 3mm SS Coils around 0.35 Ohms. SS is Nice because it has a Clean Taste with a Fast Ramp-Up.

I've tried lots of Exotic/Multi-Wire Coils. I just don't see a Huge Increase in Flavor. But I do see a Big Increase in Ramp-Up time (something I can Kinda live with). And also a Big Increase in Ramp-Down time (something I Really Hate).

Also, the Stock RDA that comes with the Pico Squeeze works. But for a Single Coil Flavor Chaser, there are MUCH Better RDA's out there. At the Top of the List (for me) is the NarDa...

$8.05 NarDA Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And If you are Lazy about making your own coils, a NarDa and a pack of these Coils...

$2.20 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

... is a Great Combo

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Thank you Shawn!
can you clarify the last bit "use the nominal voltage of 3.7 V"? Just ignore the heat flux section in other words?
Don't ignore the heat flux, but don't calculate it based on wattage. Use 3.7 V for your calculations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

bigtimeweb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Texas
Also, the Stock RDA that comes with the Pico Squeeze works. But for a Single Coil Flavor Chaser, there are MUCH Better RDA's out there. At the Top of the List (for me) is the NarDa...

Zoid have you tried the Pulse 22?? That is what I was going to pair it with.

Reactions: Train2

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Zoid have you tried the Pulse 22?? That is what I was going to pair it with.

I've got one in the Cart right now. Just waiting for a Little More actual user Feed-Back on how it works.

It looks like it should be a Good RDA. And I think a Lot of thought went into it. But I have kinda been Hitting my CC hard lately. So figured I could wait until Next Month to get one.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I do MTL only with single coils and I can't use the RDA that comes with the Squeeze. Not only is it made for dual coils, there is no way it will close the air down enough for me. I got an Origen Little 16 clone from Fasttech and built the same coil I use on a REO with an RM2. Kanthal 30ga, 2mm ID, around 1.8 ohms. I set the RDA air on the second smallest hole (single coil mode). I get good flavor and enough vapor to feel like smoking a cig, which is my main goal.

I alternate mods every day (different flavors) so I can't be specific about battery life but my build is fairly low wattage (to lazy to calculate it right now) and I would expect excellent battery life from it.

Reactions: Train2

bigtimeweb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Texas
I haven't seen anyone say WOW I love the RDA that comes with it...I don't know enough about this world to point to the RIGHT rda, but the pulse 22 looks super interesting to me.

Zoid - I ran across a REALLY great overview and the importance of coil placement and direction of wrap on the pulse last night. Skip ahead to 9min when he starts talking about it.

To save some money up front, can anyone recommend a good source for premade coils? I'll get a tab but that would save me a bit until I figure it all out and not have a bunch of abandoned spools of stuff. I have 3 wires suggested here now - NiChrome 80, SS, and now kanthal. I'd like to try the nichrome 80. Anyone know?

I have another question not related to this forum section but.... moving to an RDA - should step down nic??

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I haven't seen anyone say WOW I love the RDA that comes with it...I don't know enough about this world to point to the RIGHT rda, but the pulse 22 looks super interesting to me.

Zoid - I ran across a REALLY great overview and the importance of coil placement and direction of wrap on the pulse last night. Skip ahead to 9min when he starts talking about it.

To save some money up front, can anyone recommend a good source for premade coils? I'll get a tab but that would save me a bit until I figure it all out and not have a bunch of abandoned spools of stuff. I have 3 wires suggested here now - NiChrome 80, SS, and now kanthal. I'd like to try the nichrome 80. Anyone know?

I have another question not related to this forum section but.... moving to an RDA - should step down nic??

Yeah... I have seen that Video.

The Direction of the a Coil Wrap, R/H vs. L/H, can sometimes make mounting a Coil Easier/Harder. As to how much it Effects Performance in this case? Dunno?

As to Premade Coils, I have had Very Good Luck with the MKWS brand on Fasttech.

Fasttech stuff does take longer to arrive because it comes from China. But if your OK with a 10 ~ 14 Day wait, it is a Good Place to get things. Just make sure you spend a few cents more and Upgrade the Shipping to United States Express ePacket.

I've used a Lot of NiChrome 80. Still do in some of my Tanks. It has a Faster Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down than Kanthal A1. And just tastes Better to me.

Reactions: bigtimeweb

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Pulse 22, I'd consider "good flavor, if you also want the option of big air". I wouldn't go to it first, for someone "chasing flavor".

You might consider a Hadaly (there's clones - but I don't know which is best - I have authentic). Designed for a single, and super-easy to build too.

Or maybe an O-16.

Those are both a little bit tighter draw, but still capable of a lung hit. And they're both EXCELLENT flavor producers. The O-little is a nice match with the Squeeze, being so tiny... On that one, I have a clone and an authentic, and you can hardly tell the difference...

gameday2.jpg

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Just one Clarification.

The Position of the Coil in relationship to the Air Inlets can have a Huge Impact on the type of Hit you get.

This! You need to have the airflow coming directly at the coil (on any RDA I have ever used, at least). Distance from the air hole and high/low position may need tweaking depending on the RDA.

I love the O-16 on my Pico Squeeze. Fasttech has 2 clones listed. I have this one:
$7.37 Origen Little Styled RDA Rebuilable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 16mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread