Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
This is MY opinion and you are free to disagree with me.

I HATE DOUBLE COILS. THIS IS WHY I SOLD MY ZEPHYRUS..

the Subtank, the Kayfun, the original Protank. The Aspire Nautilus, the Triton and many others use single coils and even in my Veritas clone I preferred a single horizontal coil to twin vertical coils and here are my thoughts on this debate.

Double coils you are draining your battery twice as fast.

You are burning twice as much juice but only getting 30% more vapor and flavor.

Your atty or tank is getting twice as hot.

Some people like a warmer vape

There are easy ways to get a warmer vape

Close the airflow. Increase the wattage, or make a longer or larger diameter coil. Without wasting your favorite ejuice by installing a second coil.

Personally I think dual coils and quad coils are wasting money or someone wanting to show off.

Ready for slinfs and arrows now.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Overall I also prefer single coils to duals.. BUT, I also prefer single coils constructed from, more than 1 strand of wire. So I am running single coil than perform as duals. I don't see multi coil setups as "Showing Off", for me it more a case of wasted time and effort. Much easier to dial in 1 coil than a bunch of them. The Time factor gets eaten up for me in the time I spend twisting wires together.

I control vape temp via OHM rate and Power level, in my mind multiple coil and even twisted wire singles results in a cooler vape NOT warmer.. Warmth, for me, comes from lower running OHMs and higher power, not more coils.

It's that 30% more flavor I am after. If I could eliminate the cloud and still get the flavor I would. I just can't get satisfaction from single strand coils without, Running big fat wires and low ohm rates. I rarely build below .7ohms, and use a mech, kicked above 1.2ohms. So instead of 28 or 29awg at 1.3ohm (or fatter wire and lower ohm) I prefer 2x32 twisted at 1.3 ohms. When I want lower than the 1.3 or higher, I just switch to twisted 34, 31, 30 or 29awg, add more strands of wire or even combine multiple gauges twisted together.

Reactions: DergBerg

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Very easy to gey
Overall I also prefer single coils to duals.. BUT, I also prefer single coils constructed from, more than 1 strand of wire. So I am running single coil than perform as duals. I don't see multi coil setups as "Showing Off", for me it more a case of wasted time and effort. Much easier to dial in 1 coil than a bunch of them. The Time factor gets eaten up for me in the time I spend twisting wires together.

I control vape temp via OHM rate and Power level, in my mind multiple coil and even twisted wire singles results in a cooler vape NOT warmer.. Warmth, for me, comes from lower running OHMs and higher power, not more coils.

It's that 30% more flavor I am after. If I could eliminate the cloud and still get the flavor I would. I just can't get satisfaction from single strand coils without, Running big fat wires and low ohm rates. I rarely build below .7ohms, and use a mech, kicked above 1.2ohms. So instead of 28 or 29awg at 1.3ohm (or fatter wire and lower ohm) I prefer 2x32 twisted at 1.3 ohms. When I want lower than the 1.3 or higher, I just switch to twisted 34, 31, 30 or 29awg, add more strands of wire or even combine multiple gauges twisted together.

Very easy to get better flavor without the clouds

Make your own ejuice as I do and use a higher PG Propylene Glycol ratio and you will get incredible flavor with almost no clouds.

I started making 70%VG Vegetable Glycerin and 30% PG. I have moved to 60% VG 40% PG for better flavor but you could easily go 60 or 70℅ PG and move the VG to 40 or 30%.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Very easy to get better flavor without the clouds

Make your own ejuice as I do and use a higher PG Propylene Glycol ratio and you will get incredible flavor with almost no clouds.

I started making 70%VG Vegetable Glycerin and 30% PG. I have moved to 60% VG 40% PG for better flavor but you could easily go 60 or 70℅ PG and move the VG to 40 or 30%.

I do make my own juice @ 70/30 or higher PG. VG causes issues for me at more than 50%. So I got that covered.

I agree it is easy to get flavor without clouds.... It's, just, not easy to get GREAT flavor that way.

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
I like both. If wicked right, I get double the amount of pulls from my dual than my single coil setup. I'm of the mind and did a lot of research on wicking to the point it sometimes takes as long for me to get my wick the way I want than building the coil(s). I understand the OP and agree with a lot of what was said, but I believe there are ways to utilize a dual coil setup to conserve your juice with your wicking.

Reactions: DergBerg

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I do make my own juice @ 70/30 or higher PG. VG causes issues for me at more than 50%. So I got that covered.

I agree it is easy to get flavor without clouds.... It's, just, not easy to get GREAT flavor that way.

The PG carries and extracts flavor more that 20 times as good as VG..

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I like both. If wicked right, I get double the amount of pulls from my dual than my single coil setup. I'm of the mind and did a lot of research on wicking to the point it sometimes takes as long for me to get my wick the way I want than building the coil(s). I understand the OP and agree with a lot of what was said, but I believe there are ways to utilize a dual coil setup to conserve your juice with your wicking.

Yes. A tight wick will not absorb the juice quickly às a looser wick.

However if you pack the wick too tightly you will get dry or burned hits. Those are not pleasant.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
single coil tanks don't pass enough air for me

I guarantee you that you are incorrect.

Make a looser wick in a single coil and you will have all of the airflow and the ejuice you want coming in so you can chain vape.

In another thread about the OCC HEADS for the Kanger Subtank; I commented about re wicking and rebuilding the coils for the Subtank Nano. I said the coils I rewicked was better than new just because they original wick was crammed in the coil too tightly and had very little chance of feeding high VG Juices.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Hey, I roll my wicks from 400 mesh, solid, and coil them with 26 kanthal for .8 ohm on my gennies, and they deliver all the vapor I could want. I did try dual coiling my Kraken with 28 kanthal for .8 ohm with two 1.6 ohm coils, but gawd! What a waste of time and kanthal! It didn't deliver on vapor anywhere near what my single coil build did, it drained batteries a lot faster, and the ramp-up time was way too slow. I'm just done with the dual coil thing.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Do you have a Cthulhu to test your theory on? Because I vaped Subtank Minis and Lemo 2s for months before getting my first Cthulhu. Compared to the Cthulhu the others are like trying to drink pop through a straw with a hole in it.

No I don't have the Cthulhu in my arsenal but you did mention the Subtank Mini.

The Subtank, mini, the Nano and the Plus all use the OCC HEADS. Aftee remivubg and rewicking the head it feeds the juice twice as well aa the super tight wicks that came installed.

Personally it sounds to me like you are a cloud chaser instead of trying to satisfy a craving.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hey, I roll my wicks from 400 mesh, solid, and coil them with 26 kanthal for .8 ohm on my gennies, and they deliver all the vapor I could want. I did try dual coiling my Kraken with 28 kanthal for .8 ohm with two 1.6 ohm coils, but gawd! What a waste of time and kanthal! It didn't deliver on vapor anywhere near what my single coil build did, it drained batteries a lot faster, and the ramp-up time was way too slow. I'm just done with the dual coil thing.

Me too. I an tired of using twice as much juice, draining my batteries twice as fast getting the atty or tank twice as hot and not getting the vapor and taste I should.

I was not kidding when u received my Zepherus RTA. I looked at the dual coil setup in the RBA. I put the blamed thing up for sale without trying it once.

I avoid dual coils like the plague

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
No I don't have the Cthulhu in my arsenal but you did mention the Subtank Mini.

The Subtank, mini, the Nano and the Plus all use the OCC HEADS. Aftee remivubg and rewicking the head it feeds the juice twice as well aa the super tight wicks that came installed.

Personally it sounds to me like you are a cloud chaser instead of trying to satisfy a craving.

You form opinions and make judgements with no personal experience to base them on, therefore your opinions and judgements are without value.

Reactions: ThePulver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread