Size wick for protank, Evod, MT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonK94Z

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Olathe, KS, USA
I'm so confused after reading all day. What size wick can I use to rebuild coils for my protank, Evod, and t3/mt3. I've seen all sizes being used, but I'm looking for one size fits all. Ekowool 3mm?

I need to get started on this ASAP. I know to order 32 ga kanthal wire. I'm using a smoktech winder

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
The stock head is 2mm silica wick with 1mm "flavor wicks" on top of that. You can also use .8mm silica for the flavor wicks. I actually took measurements of a stock head and found 6 wraps of 30 AWG (metric equivalent actually) with the coil's inside diameter being 1.55mm and the wicks as noted. I started a thread about it somewhere around here.

You can get good silica wick here:
Silica Wick

Resistance wire here:
Variable Speed Drives, Phase Converters items in TEMCo Industrial Power Systems store on eBay!

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I also started testing with 3mm over the past couple days. The short term objective was just to make recoiling a bit faster without losing any performance. Compared to 2mm with 1mm flavor wicks on top, I can't tell the difference of just a single 3mm wick. Works at least as well.

I'm starting to wonder if Kangertech came up with the flavor wick idea because they had a cheap supply of 1mm and 2mm wick on hand.

Can anyone tell the difference? I'm wondering if I'm missing something but I can't tell.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I've done a bit more trial and error experimenting and have come up with some conclusions.

3mm wick does indeed fit perfectly and performs as least as well if not better than 2mm with 1mm "flavor wicks" on top.

I think Kangertech went with the 2mm wick for the coil because anything bigger results in either a coil with too high a resistance or too few wraps to work with a standard ego battery. The "flavor wicks" allow more juice to touch that smaller coil for decent performance even with a standard ego battery. If using a VV battery or VW mod, there's no real reason to stick with the original set up instead of a single 3mm wick with coil.

Coils that are the right size for the wick work better. Too tight chokes the wicking but unfortunately too lose doesn't make good thermal coupling. I used fatter coils for a while to make builds easier, but after trying slightly tighter coils for a while, I have to conclude too loose is as bad as too tight. Also, thicker wire couples better, but the vape is too rich for me using 24mg/ ml juice (which I have a good bit of). Nic overload too quickly.

The favored build (of the week lol) is 32 AWG Kanthal wrapped on a number 47 drill bit, 6 wraps which results in 2.4 to 2.5 ohms. The 3mm wick will just fit and that seems like the tightest coil to wick using 3mm without a lot of hassle. Vapes very nice at around 7 watts.

With lower nic juice, same build as above except using 30AWG Kanthal with 8 or 9 wraps. Very nice, rich and flavorful vape at 11 or 12 watts.

Reactions: newtastebuds

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
A new twist on an old theme: use nichrome-60 instead of kanthal. Nichrome has a lower resistance per length than kanthal. At 32 AWG I can get 9 wraps on a 2mm wick using nichrome resulting in 2 ohms. Only 6 wraps using kanthal for about the same resistance. Nichrome in this application makes for a better vape.

Aviz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
SF E. Bay , CA
Wont the flavor wick also allow further distance between the ejuice and the air hole? (following the same logic - the intent was to accommodate for lower voltage).

BTW thanks for the measurements - I was going nuts tying to figure the right wick size.

I've done a bit more trial and error experimenting and have come up with some conclusions.

3mm wick does indeed fit perfectly and performs as least as well if not better than 2mm with 1mm "flavor wicks" on top.

I think Kangertech went with the 2mm wick for the coil because anything bigger results in either a coil with too high a resistance or too few wraps to work with a standard ego battery. The "flavor wicks" allow more juice to touch that smaller coil for decent performance even with a standard ego battery. If using a VV battery or VW mod, there's no real reason to stick with the original set up instead of a single 3mm wick with coil.

Coils that are the right size for the wick work better. Too tight chokes the wicking but unfortunately too lose doesn't make good thermal coupling. I used fatter coils for a while to make builds easier, but after trying slightly tighter coils for a while, I have to conclude too loose is as bad as too tight. Also, thicker wire couples better, but the vape is too rich for me using 24mg/ ml juice (which I have a good bit of). Nic overload too quickly.

The favored build (of the week lol) is 32 AWG Kanthal wrapped on a number 47 drill bit, 6 wraps which results in 2.4 to 2.5 ohms. The 3mm wick will just fit and that seems like the tightest coil to wick using 3mm without a lot of hassle. Vapes very nice at around 7 watts.

With lower nic juice, same build as above except using 30AWG Kanthal with 8 or 9 wraps. Very nice, rich and flavorful vape at 11 or 12 watts.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Still new at all this, but I've ordered 2mm wick and 32ga Kanthal to start rebuilding my EVODs as I'm going through a coil every 3 days. Let me ask this as I've read where people are wrapping the coil around drill bits or rods. Can you easily insert the wick into the coil after it is made? From all of the videos I've watched, the wraps have always been around the wick, with a needle being used as a "base". What is easier and provides better uniformity? Sorry in advance for the noob question.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Its kinda difficult to insert the silica into the already made coil, believe me I've tried. One solution is to use cotton but I got tired of swaping the cotton all the time. I have all kinds of ekowool around so I cut a 2 inch piece and unbraided it into singular strands and using a bead threader I inserted several strands folded over and it works just dandy. I now have the convience of being able to swap the ekowool when necessary and being able to dryburn the head to get extended use out of it. I didn't boil or torch my ekowool but silica is different than ekowool and you might get a taste is you don't torch the silica. The problem is when you torch ekowool or silica it becomes crispy and much harder to work with.

KillaKat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2013
MA
I use 32g kanthal wire wrapped 5 times around a toothpick (I find the toothpick to be easiest to use, also helps with placement in the coil head itself). This gives ~2.0 ohms, which I find works great with both evods and my mini protank. I use unravelled boiled cheesecloth as my wick, ~25 strands doubled over, threaded using a piece of kanthal wire. No need for flavor wicks, and virtually no leakage. I've been doing it this way since I started rebuilding my coils in early fall last year. I prefer cotton over anything else for wick material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread