Smaller problem than it's led to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
I was sitting at a bar in a restaurant (it's kind of away from the restaurant part) and I asked if vaping was okay and I was given the go ahead from the bartender. I was vaping for quite some time while talking to the person next to me when the manager walked up. She actually wasn't originally approaching me. The girl I was talking to at the bar was an employee that was off the clock and the manager was coming over to ask her something. Anyway, I was using a Kayfun and she said that usually it was okay to vape but that it was creating more vapor than the cigalikes (she didn't actually use that terminology). I apologized, put it away, and hung out a bit more.

There weren't many people in the restaurant at the time so I waited for the opportunity to talk to her and ask a few questions. She said (and I don't think this will surprise anyone) that the cigalikes are way more common but she's seen all kinds of them before, including what I had.

I asked her how often someone gets upset or tries to plead the e-cigarette case when asked to stop. She said that had never happened. I asked her if her opinion of vaping was affected by vapers like me when she has to ask them to stop doing it. She said that it was actually more positive, as everyone that has been asked to stop has done the same thing. They just politely apologized and stopped. Without this positive interaction, she said that her opinion of vaping would probably not be as positive.

If there aren't any polite people out there vaping in public, the only people the public will see vaping are the people that are going to project a negative image. Don't hide. If you're a level-headed, rational person that has consideration for others, you want this to be your problem and you want to be the one that solves it when it counts.

Be a presence, and be a positive one.

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
Thanks for being reasonable. I agree with everything you say and did. Polite and considerate makes us look good. Making a scene and "standing up for my rights" makes me look like an *** and leads to the banning of vaping in those places where it might have been perfectly okay.

Thanks. I thought of it because there have been a rising number of people that criticize those that vape in public and claim they only vape at home or in their car (not sure if they're exaggerating though). If we all did that, only the .......s yelling about their rights would be out and about and that's when they really would become the face of vaping. Go out and show people what polite people vaping looks like! Get out there, be a little edgy and apologize like a sir!

(for those reading this expecting a completely serious post, please disregard the last sentence. Thank you.)

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Loved your post! I'm always afraid to ask in public, just assume you can't. But I did have a nice experience during my last vacation. I was in a tiny restaurant with two friends that also vape. My friend pulled out her PV, briefly explained to the waitress what it was and asked if it were alright to use. I was surprised when she said "Sure." We vaped and had a great lunch. Encouraged me to start doing the same in places that may not mind. I couldn't agree more though, politeness is the key.

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
I was in a pool hall and I asked the hostess/waitress girl if it was okay to use "these" inside (holding up my itaste MVP and Aerotank, and she was like "absolutely. it brings back the old smokey bar environment without the smell" and I vaped away between losing horribly

Never thought that comment would be made, that's awesome. I like the smell of smokey bars too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread