Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
I got impatient waiting for the burl to ship, so I finished this one with white oak. Though I do not have a mill, the screen came out perfect. Very pleased! The screen cover is flush mounted blacked out Lexan and it has a 1/8th inch thick band. I did a mirror polish on the aluminum and like that more than I thought I would. There are several improvements over the prior mods, and there are still tweaks I am figuring out and still consider this a prototype of sorts, but the next one should be about right.

Things I have improved: Millwork is from the "inside" prior to bending and brazing, so that surface dings are removed, the Lexan is heat set with the original being oversized - the frame is heated so that it is melted into place, I went back to a single battery so that I could dispense with the fuses. The removable cover is currently a friction fit and I am trying to make a snap mechanism that will hold it in place (work in progress).

Last edited:

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Eventually! I am still shrinking them down and improving their reliability. Some of my prior ones showed wear and tear that ...... me off, so I am trying to make them attractive and bullet proof. My prior ones have generally been gutted and are just shells now. I have ten chips and will one day make up a batch when I have something that I think can be used and abused. This one really feels "right" when you hold it, and that is part of the pursuit.

I am working with a local wood manufacture to get better wood and have sourced a metal shop that will do a better job on the band, once I have everything debugged.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Nope...hobby level for certain. I am in no way angling to be a vendor of these things. I just can't buy what I want to use. I need four good mods on hand (two for me and two for the wife). We have done the PIF routine with several mods that did not cut the bill. I am also really interested in coming up with a formula for making simple mods for folks without massive stores of tools.

Davantrac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Darlington, UK.
You sounds exactly the same as me then, Blueridge. Sick of over priced let downs, and cheap stuff that just doesn't do it.
I'm slowly pulling some bits and pieces together to have a go at building, I should be ok with the electrical side and slow and steady with wood, but although I can weld and work with metal I have no access to them type of tools anymore.

Reactions: asdaq
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread